Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   new AR build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-ar-build-68558/)

woodogg18 07-20-2012 02:01 AM

new AR build

I just bought an AR lower receiver by sportswere / r guns. I have nothing but the receiver and am new to the whole aspect of an AR build. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll post updates as the build goes on. Thought I would share my excitement with my new project.

dog2000tj 07-20-2012 02:52 AM

First, congratulations on you newly aquired SUR. Second, read the stickies, then the build threads ..... then read em' again and then decide on what you want to do with the rifle.

Once you know that, then we will be able to better help you along the path to the dark side ...

we have cookies ;)

sweeper22 07-20-2012 09:16 AM

Buy a good LPK (lower parts kit) and start thinking about what kind of AR you want to end up with. The Daniel Defense LPK (about $90) is pretty sought after, but it's also awful hard to find. I think Spikes offers some good LPKs for very good prices through JoeBob's. But those are both combat type setups, which may or may not be what you're after.

Figure out what barrel, handguard, and twist rate you want. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a 1:7 twist. It might in fact be ideal for you, and it also might not. 1:7 has benefits. But 1:8 is super versatile. And 1:9 will handle about 95+% of the stuff that most AR owners run through their guns.

The point is, do your own research and figure out what upper configuration suits your needs. Same for the trigger, especially if your goal is a target/varmint gun.

Find a barrel, bolt, optics, and trigger that suit your needs...probably in that order. But the latter two get a bit of a priority boost if your goal is to slow-fire super tight groups.

woodogg18 07-21-2012 01:21 AM

So, after reading the stickies, talking to a friend, and scouring the net for more information, I think I have a pretty good idea what I want to do with it. It will pretty much be an all around multi-purpose home defense/SHTF rifle. I think I'm going with a mid-length. I don't know a whole lot about commercial vs mil spec aside from fitting issues, but I think I want to go mil spec.
Not sure what barrel twist I need yet. The only thing I'm pretty set on so far is the somewhat inconsequential Magpul Moe forest green furniture.
I wanted to do a "full" build, but I'm thinking I should just get a complete upper so I won't have to deal with seating the barrel, etc.
Unfortunately, this build will take a while to complete as I don't have 1000 on hand to just order the parts. I will slowly get parts here and there every month with the extra cash left over after bills.

woodogg18 07-31-2012 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: I picked up an LPK by CMMG and installed it. Was easier than I thought save for the trigger guard roll pin. I had to force it a bit and kinda boogered the end. Marred the finish a bit too but I'm gonna paint it when I'm done anyway so it's not a huge deal.

Attachment 53021

GaMatt72 07-31-2012 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats. I did a kinda full build. I bought every piece separate put the entire lower together. I got all the upper parts and was at a local shop with the last bit and asked if they could get the barrel to seat. I tried but with a messed up arm and 2 day before surgery I could not get it to. He said bring in all the parts and he would put it together for me for nothing. It was just the barrel out so I let him. Lol.

Attachment 53022

woodogg18 09-28-2012 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to share an update on the build. It's taking longer than I hoped but I'm being a little picky and careful with choosing How to go about my upper. My lower is now complete.

Cthuga 09-28-2012 05:09 AM

I'm in a similar situation, building a CMMG lower and buying a complete flat topupper, but really like the stock you picked with the cheek rest. If like to know what brand stock that is. Good work/thread.

Olympus 09-28-2012 02:32 PM

Best thing to consider is how did you like building the lower? If you enjoyed it and it was fun, then give the upper build a try. I'd recommend an upper receiver vise block and armorers wrench though.

If you're worried about buggering up the upper build, you can buy a complete upper. That's what I did for my first build. Built the lower and bout a complete upper. I'm about to start my second build and I'm going to build both sections this time.

woodogg18 09-28-2012 09:46 PM

The buffer tube set is from ATI, I picked that up at my local gun shop. I went online for the stock which is also by ATI and cost only $30 from cheaper than dirt. I was very surprised at the quality of it too for being so inexpensive.