new ar build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > new ar build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new ar build

so i'm about to start a new ar build...soon as i get some tax monies back i'm lookin at a bravo company upper...it's an 11.5" it's $780 but it says NFA next to it...does that mean i have to do something different to get it?

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to get the upper alone you dont have to have SBR paperwork, but brother you better not have a non-pistol AR lower in your posession. Best thing to do is have the pistol lower before you get it or a pre-approved SBR lower. Can you own a short bbl upper by itself? Yes. Can you get popped for having a complete 16" rifle plus a short upper? Yes. Can you get popped for having a stripped lower and a short bbl upper? Absolutely. Here is the one case that you can get in trouble for your "intent" even if you dont have the intent to build one.

Part 2, cant go wrong with BCM stuff; rock solid and top notch. Just stay within the NFA rules.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #3

ok but what are the nfa rules? and what do you mean by a pistol lower? it's gonna be a rifle..like with 5 position stock...and like a reddot or acog optics...i was just wondering how i can get that upper or even the 12.5 upper...i mean i see it for sale on the website but how do go about actually ordering/owning one lol

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Here's the deal bro, if you have a stock on it, your barrel length has to meet the NFA rules, which i am pretty sure is 16". At least it's 16" here in Washington and I know several other states. Don't quote me on that inch length, check your local laws.

Now, how you get an 11.5" barrel and still meet the regulations?

That is where an extended flash suppressor comes in. You would have to get a 5.5" flash suppressor and have it tack welded or spot welded or some other way of PERMANENTLY afixing it to the end of your rifled barrel.

Really, you aren't getting anything out of this, because you still need the full length to be legal, but you are losing rifling accuracy.

If you get a 16" barrel, or say a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor, you are getting a more accurate rifle.

Check your local laws concerning rifled barrel length, but I think 16" is pretty standard.

JD

Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #5

ok well i guess that idea is out...i just thought it would have been a pretty badass ar with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel with the forearm rail bein like 11 or 12" lol but i guess i'll have to stick with a 16" lol and see if i can find a 13.5 gaurd for it

Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I'm not mistaken, screwed on then pinned (muzzle break) qualifies as permanent in the eyes of BATFE.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #7

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Federal Regs: Minimum 16" barrel AND at least 26" overall length.

Quote:
APPENDIX A
NFA, 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53

THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT
TITLE 26, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 53 INTERNAL REVENUE CODE

§ 5845 Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter-
(a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than
26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of
less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall
length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(5) any other weapon,
as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18,
United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term 'firearm' shall not include an antique firearm
or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon,
the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is
primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #8

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
CHAPTER 2. WHAT ARE “FIREARMS” UNDER THE NFA?
Section 2.1 Types of NFA firearms

2.1.3 Rifle. A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of
an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull
of the trigger.11 A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.

----------------------------

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.
Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

11 26 U.S.C. 5845(c)
Edit to add quotes.

Last edited by Highpower; 02-13-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownhero82 View Post
ok well i guess that idea is out...i just thought it would have been a pretty badass ar with an 11.5 or 12.5" barrel with the forearm rail bein like 11 or 12" lol but i guess i'll have to stick with a 16" lol and see if i can find a 13.5 gaurd for it

FWIW take a look at a BCM mid length gas system with a 14.5 bbl with the permanent hider. As short as you can get legally and you pick up the mid length gas.

JD is right, 16in bbl is the minimum, and with a conventional AR that means the actual bbl is 16 then you add the screw on brake/ flash hider.

If you want to go all the way though, get the stripped lower, get it engraved as an SBR, apply throught the ATF and get the $200 tax stamo and you get the short upper. Few months wait, but in the end you will have what you really want. But take a look at the 14.5 with permanent, you dont lose too much velocity that way and they are still very compact. My 2 Lincolns.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #10

sweet thanks everyone for all the advice and help