New AR Build
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New AR Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3702 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Default New AR Build

My Grandson by marriage and my Granddaughter came down with my Great Granddaughter and my new Great Grandson two weeks ago. *I am "Innocent" of getting him addicted when we went back to the range and began shooting some AR Rifles. 223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 458 SOCOM and 308. Needless to say he liked the weapons and shooting and owns his own Taurus 809 9mm Pistol. (Me not being guilty of anything!) He went ballistic over the AR Rifles since he had never fired one before! You know the rest of the story!
When he got back to Indiana he went out and purchased a Stag Arms Lower Receiver and then called me. Grandpa when are we going to build me one of those? He will be coming back down to TN soon and Grampa is going to assist him in building his first AR Rifle. It will be in 223/5.56 Cal. with the following.

Rock River Arms R-3 Competition Upper Assembly 18" 1:8 Stainless Cryo Fluted Barrel with longer RRA TRO-X Free Float with Top Rail,Tuned Ported Muzzle Break, Low Profile Gas Block
Stag Arms Lower
RRA Lower Parts Kit
Rock River Arms 2 Stage Chrome National Match or JP Adj.Target Trigger (His Choice!)
Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip
Star Selector
KNS Anti Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pins
RRA 6 Position Collapsible Stock
Leupold or other quality Tac Scope. Or EOTech 512 Holographic Sight (His Choice)
He is looking at a tac scope at the present in the 3X Range.
ARMS Front and Rear Sights if needed?

This will make him a fine first AR!

I am excited about helping him and seeing his excitement and sense of achievement when completed, as well as his reaction to seeing the accuracy it will produce!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 07-29-2014 at 06:11 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

Liked 128 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 65

A "fine AR". Are you kidding. That will make him a GREAT AR. Good for Grandpa.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

fine is bad choice of words ... hes lucky to have someone care so much to gather that amount of outstanding parts.... when its done we expect a range report.. and PICTURES!!!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jj,

will do!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is a beautiful thing!

I grew up in a family that hated firearms. I've converted a few but most are still unwilling to try to understand them. They just believe that only police officers and gang bangers have guns..

I hope to me a grandpa like you. To share this lifestyle with my holster and their children. And I hope they include me in the lives (and rifle builds) like yours does..

You seem to have a beautiful family. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you for the kind words!
Coming from a long line of gun owners and shooter it is hard for me to understand the all out uneducated position some take. Most of it as you stated, is due to them never having the opportunity of someone taking the time to introduce them to a new experience. And listening to the ever present "fear mongering" of the Liberal Politicians in office today and their supporters. It is amazing however, when some get to experience the shooting sport and learn that guns are not bad it is those abuse them that are bad, how some are amazed of a new found love for the activity. I have had the pleasure of introducing several people to the shooting and target shooting sport over the years and now their views are totally changed. Some have became what some people would call Gun Nuts! "In a good way mind you"! I was introduced at around 4-5 years old by my Grandfather who was an avid hunter and fisherman. Then there was the Military and a carrier in Law Enforcement. I have been blessed with my family as you referred to! I shoot and fish and my Wife, three Sons, Daughter, most of my Grand Children all own and shoot guns! In the near future if God allows me the 2 Great Grandkids will own weapons "for sure" and be introduced to the sport and the correct safety, ownership and responsibility of owning weapons. So good luck to you and glad to hear you enjoy the shooting sport and gun ownership. Be an example and influence to all you can in a good, safe and proper way! It is also very important that others become introduced for the simple reason of the protection of our Second Amendment Rights! "Their Votes!

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Just out of curiosity, what BCG is being used?