Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New AR

Hi Guys,
I'm new here and just picked up a new S&W M&P15 or today. This is the only AR I own but I may have to tuck it in with me tonight! Kinda like Ralphie and his red ryder on "A Christmas Story".
Seriously, do any of you have experience with these rifles? I've been reading these boards for a while and I'd bet Dillinger has had some time with this rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I'd bet Dillinger has had some time with this rifle
Thanks for the shout out heirmoosy - I don't have as much as I would like. Why don't you ship it over and I will put it through the paces for you.

Actually I checked them out at SHOT, both last year and this year. They are a good solid piece of kit. The lock up between the upper and lower was solid. Nice & tight, very little rattle or slop, which is great. What barrel did you get? The 16" G.I. or the 20" Match?

I believe that the lowers, and possibly the uppers, are actually made by CMT/Stag. They actually make parts for most of the AR-15 markets out there selling complete guns.

All in all I consider it a really good piece. It's a little more expensive than if you built one from parts yourself, actually a couple of hundred more, but finding parts now ( stripped uppers / lowers / especially lower assemblies ) is getting harder and harder now that demand is so high.

If you got a good price that you are comfortable with, I think you made a great choice. I definitely didn't see anything in my examination that would lead me to believe you would be let down in the field with it.

Congratulations on the new purchase. Make sure and post a range report after you get out and test fire it.

JD

Old 07-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #3

Dillinger, Thanks for the review. I got the 16" barrel. Would you give me a little direction on some good optics? I was thinking perhaps an Aimpoint M4 or ACOG. What do ya think?
Thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirmossy View Post
Dillinger, Thanks for the review. I got the 16" barrel. Would you give me a little direction on some good optics? I was thinking perhaps an Aimpoint M4 or ACOG. What do ya think?
Thanks
Well, with the 16" G.I. barrel you are going to get decent accuracy, but nothing sub moa or anything.

I assume that since you reference both the Aimpoint and the ACOG, you are looking for a heads up, CQB style battle sight? Do you want the limited magnification? Or more of a sight system that is for close range work?

The Aimpoint has some nice features, but it's quite pricey. A quick check on Google shows me you are looking at around $700. I don't have any hands-on with this unit, so I can't recommend one way or the other. It looks like a nice piece though.

The Acog is completely over-priced in my opinion. It's a good unit, and it has been standard issue for the troops for a while, but you are going to be spending about the same for the unit that you did for the weapon. If you are really in love with the ACOG, you probably won't be talked out of it. I think it's a good unit, but I think Trijicon knows that and they are charging you for it. If you can find a good price on it, and you like the unit, I say go for it.

On my units I run the L-3 EoTech heads up model with the M-16 style hold overs for range. I have two of them and they both cost me less than $500. I am thinking about adding the new 3X.FXD, which gives you a 3x magnification, plus it goes on and off with an ARMS style throw lever. On & Off in less than 2 seconds. Probably not in the immediate future, but it's on the wish list.

The SWAT units in this part of the country run the L-3 EoTech on their entry and tac guns. They are very common place over in the big sand box. Catch any photos of the troops over there and you will see several on the tops of their weapons.

Outside of that - there are probably a couple of other choices that are available, but since you got yourself such a nice piece, you may as well put a top quality unit on it.

Look forward to seeing some pictures in the near future.

JD

Old 07-05-2008, 04:07 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Only S&W i sell of them so far is there Optic Ready carbine, for $899 price is right and with $50 dollar rebate makes it better. I wanna see how they do in the long run tho.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #6

JD, I like your Eotech idea better than my previous choices. I looked them up after you told me about them and they sound excellent. I bought a front sight and carry handle for it until I could decide on optics. I really think it'll wear an Eotech. Thanks for the help.
P.S. I'll take a few pics today with her wearing irons.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirmossy View Post
JD, I like your Eotech idea better than my previous choices. I looked them up after you told me about them and they sound excellent. I bought a front sight and carry handle for it until I could decide on optics. I really think it'll wear an Eotech. Thanks for the help.
P.S. I'll take a few pics today with her wearing irons.
heirmossy - I think you may like the EoTech once you get your hands on one. They are good on battery life, but buy a couple of extra batteries just in case. I just changed my first set after about a year of on and off usage, so they don't have the best longevity. Multiple brightness settings, so you can use it in any environment. Since it's a holographic projection, you can get mud or dirt on the front of the unit and still be able to use the sight system.

All in all I really like the EoTech models - they are built for the hardcore operator and the fit/function is really good. Nightvision capable, if you get the military unit, and if you want to add the magnification feature, it's available down the road.

The only drawback is this isn't a good sight when shooting for groups. The holographic sight picture is great for target acquisition & getting rounds on target. But for holding on target, for precise grouping, I wouldn't recommend it. With the 16" G.I. barrel, you aren't going to be shooting sub-moa groups often anyways, but thought you should know.

Give them a look, you can usually find at least one gunshop/sporting goods shop that stocks one. You can do a lot worse, that's for sure...

JD

Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #8

Thanks JD, I'll get back to ya when I get one.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 AM   #9

I have the T and I love it...

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #10

hiermossy - What's up with the range report?! How did she shoot?

Looking for an update on your recent purchase for the good of the forum.

JD