Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New AR

i have really wanted to jump into the world of AR-15's but not sure where i should start.....should i buy a bare rifle and then begin modding it out? (not bling bling just mods for tactical use) or should i start with a an upper and/or lower and just begin building one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

My opinion would be to build your own. You will learn a lot about the your rifle by doing so and you will be able to customize it any way you like. Building your AR will most times be cheaper in the long run, than buying the whole rifle.

There are lots of threads here in the AR section with excellent intel and links to various companies that have everything you need, giving you numerous choices of what and how to build and customize your own AR rifle.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I built mine really knowing very little about the AR....and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Now I know how everything works, which is very helpful.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

What they said - build your own. It isn't hard, you will learn a lot, and you'll save money.

As for add-ons, I recommend (at most) a red-dot sight, vertical handgrip and sling. Of the three, the sling is probably most useful.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Seeing a common response here?

We have had, probably, 20 members come here with your same exact question and decide to build their own platform. It's not hard and it doesn't take a ton of tools or knowledge. Several threads have links to high quality, low dollar parts and I can assure you, if you have an AR question, it has already been asked and answered in the AR section.

I would echo what my collegues above have started and say buying an upper and lower receiver and building your own is the best way to go.

JD

Old 02-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #6

very cool, thank you guys

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah!
if you can use a hammer you can build an AR
I knew nothing about ARs and had no info or knowledge about it
but I had this very knowledgeable and helpful firearmstalk community at my disposal and so do you!
check out the ar-15 section there should be plenty of threads there that can get you started
also i have ar-15 building guide that i've sent to other members that you can have if you are interested

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I highly endorse junho's guide that he sent me (thanks again). That, along with a free Brownell's video and coaching from other FTF members....it was a snap...and a lot of fun.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I can't repeat myself, or stress this point, enough to make it sink in.

The AR platform is NOT a mystery.

Slo and I have been helping guys who possessed NO gunsmithing knowledge build their own guns for about 2 years now and they are ALL better armorers for it. They understand the platform, they understand how it works and they understand how to clean and check the damn thing for any wear and tear.

Hell, when Junho became my padwan he was a wet behind the ears college kid who had no idea what he was doing. In a matter of, what, 2 months Junho? He had a fully assembled AR, had a Range Report, then made some changes for better accuracy, then changed optics. All the while, he was telling US what he wanted to do and why.

Build your own AR Platform. Trust me on this. You will be MUCH more confident and when some douchebag range tool runs into issues, or questions WHY you went with what you did? Well, let's just say the enjoyment of telling them exactly why you got what you did, what it does and why it's better than what he is suggesting will be worth the price of admission.

JD

Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To paraphrase one of my favorite characters in almost every Adam Sandler movie.....

YOU CAN DO IT

And yes, like everyone else has already stated, I believe it is the way to go. Sure, you can buy one fully assembled, anyone can do that. OR...you could buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit, butt stock - and assemble your lower receiver assembly (which will teach you most of what you will need to know to keep your piece running) and then buy a completed upper assembly of your choice to mate to it. OR....you could buy KIT, that only needs a stripped lower to assemble into a complete piece. The KITs usually have the upper assemblies already put together. OR...you could buy everything, piece by piece, and slowly put together only the parts you want to have on your particular rifle. THIS, eliminates the need to replace parts off of stock rifles, that you want to upgrade.

Scan back through some of the past postings in the AR forum here, and you'll find lots of info and links to different sites, manufacturers, and will give you lots of ideas as to what is available, and what things look like.

Again, you've got a great bunch of guys/gals here who are more than willing to help you put one together and step you through any issues. Welcome to the group.

Slo

Newest Threads