Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New to AR-15s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default New to AR-15s

Hello, I have been shooting long rifles and hand guns all my life and recently purchased a Bushmaster AR-15 with the carry rail and iron sites. I have already put about 130 rds through her and am in love. I admittedly know nothing about AR-15s and am learning via message boards such as this. Eventually I want to get a modest optics system for it but right now I plan on sticking with iron sights for a while. I do know I want a picatinny rail to mount a light and angled hand grip. I don't think I need the barrel length because I don't plan on going nuts with attachments. Would I need a barrel length one to get the best use of the angled hand grip? Also what are some good picatinny rails that will fit my specific weapon? I have seen them go from anywhere between 50-400+ bucks. I would like to stay on the low side if possible. Any tips on these questions or the Bushmaster in general would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Chris

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Personally not a fan of vertical grips slanted or otherwise. It doesnt give a good solid platform for shooting. Most folks that have em use them for handstops not gripping.

Only addon rail systems i have experience with are from midwest industries. Im not a fan of cheapy type rails since most are junk difficult to mount solid and often come loose under use

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Check out the Magpul hand guard. You can add pieces of rail as needed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319238829/magpul-moe-handguard-ar-15

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Welcome to the site , there are many choices out there depending on what you want to spend of course. You can get into different hand guards from $29 to $400
if all you intend on doing is putting a light on it that can be achieved with a $29 magpul handguard and a $6 rail ,> if you intend on putting optics or offset sights or somthing like that that may mount on the rails system then I suggest a quality hand guard thats will not move around like a 2 piece can . If you want to free float the barrel those start at around $100 and go up to $400 depending on the length and manufacturer , Im not a big fan of the forward grips except on one particular rifle with a 7" barrel ,there isnt enough hand guard where I like to grip it so it wears a forward grip .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Welcome to the site , there are many choices out there depending on what you want to spend of course. You can get into different hand guards from $29 to $400
if all you intend on doing is putting a light on it that can be achieved with a $29 magpul handguard and a $6 rail ,> if you intend on putting optics or offset sights or somthing like that that may mount on the rails system then I suggest a quality hand guard thats will not move around like a 2 piece can . If you want to free float the barrel those start at around $100 and go up to $400 depending on the length and manufacturer , Im not a big fan of the forward grips except on one particular rifle with a 7" barrel ,there isnt enough hand guard where I like to grip it so it wears a forward grip .
Thanks for the info guys. Can you recommend a good free float for the 100 range? Also if I go with the Magpul do the rails mount on all sides or just on the bottom. Are the magpies comfortable with a rail or two added? If I went with this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319238829/magpul-moe-handguard-ar-15
Would I only need a couple of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319188343/magpul-moe-picatinny-rail-fits-moe-handguards-polymer-black?cm_vc=sugv12319238829

Also if I went with the free float would I need to buy anything additional for it to mount properly?
Thanks again, this message board seems like there are a lot of nice folks around.

Last edited by ccase39; 04-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Can you recommend a good free float for the 100 range? Also if I go with the Magpul do the rails mount on all sides or just on the bottom. Are the magpies comfortable with a rail or two added? If I went with this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319238829/magpul-moe-handguard-ar-15
Would I only need a couple of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2319188343/magpul-moe-picatinny-rail-fits-moe-handguards-polymer-black?cm_vc=sugv12319238829

Also if I went with the free float would I need to buy anything additional for it to mount properly?
Thanks again, this message board seems like there are a lot of nice folks around.
The Magpul allows you to mount rail top, bottom, and sides in multiple configurations. You do need to purchase the rail pieces as well.

It works well for "non-precision" add-ons. But it would not be appropriate for optics or the like.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ccase39 Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39
If you are gonna change to a free float rail you will also need to remove the front sight and replace the gas block for a low profile one as well as a new front sight

Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3 View Post
If you are gonna change to a free float rail you will also need to remove the front sight and replace the gas block for a low profile one as well as a new front sight
Any recommendations on a good $100 free float, front sight and gas block? I think this is the direction I want to go.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39

Any recommendations on a good $100 free float, front sight and gas block? I think this is the direction I want to go.
I got my stuff before the madness but myYHM diamond series rifle length guard was $120 I think...the gas block was from Rainer arms $50...and I just went with a magpul mbus front and back. You will also need an AR15 multi purpose wrench
image-788550763.jpg   image-1131668362.jpg  

Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #10

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

If you want to get into the tactical side of shooting such as utilizing the MOUT combat stance then a forward grip will greatly improve your ability to keep the gun stable. It also helps when teaching your self offhand shooting. If you don not plan on any kind of tactical shooting then no you do not need a forward grip.

My experience with AR type rifles come only from hunting hogs as a kid in TX and my time in the Army so I may have a different mindset on forward grips than someone who has not been in the military. I personally would not own an AR that did not have a forward pistol grip.