New AR 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default New AR 15

Hey guys. Names john harder. I'm new to the forum.
Just wanted to get some people's opinion on a (half) build.
I got a great deal on a more or less brand new double star black rifle. What I was curious about was if this would be a good base to start adding on new parts to or If I should just think about building a new one from scratch.
I want to basically tear the whole rifle down and replace all the insides with pieces from RRA or Bravo company.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

hey. Good question if its a toy on a budget go for it! If youre looking for tack driving...eh.. What exactly are you liking to do with it

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

More or less plinking and occasionally the range. Might take it hunting every now and then as well.

Hypothetically If I replaced all the internals and the barrel with tier one parts wouldn't it shoot like a tier one gun? I mean like new everything besides stripped lower and upper and the other non essentials.
This build would take place over a couple months seeing as I'm a poor college student. But while I was building, I'd like to have something to get a little range time in with

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I say spend your money on mags and ammo, and shoot it like you stole it. ENJOY IT!

If it fails on you, or doesn't meet your expectations of accuracy, then make mods.

You will probably find that it'll outshoot you for a long time. If you wanted to upgrade the barrel bolt and trigger, those would make the most difference in the way it shoots, you can always do that later.

The upper and lower recievers are more or less the same as any other forged AR.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

got your homework for the night....
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/

http://ammo.ar15.com/

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero_ _now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.ht ml

go forth and has a lot of funnage.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I have a rra ar15 and the only things I don't like about it is it's a heavy gun and the trigger... Idk if I'm just not used to or not a fan of a 2 stage but I kinda want to switch it out for a lighter one... Anyone else have this dislike?

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Hockey,

The standard Rock River Rifles have a heavy barrel although you can buy the lighter weight and slightly heavier is my preference. However I am an accuracy guy and like the benifits of the rifles performing to 3/4 MOA Groups at 100 out of a 16 in rifle. The two stage since I am now use to it, is one of the best triggers in the market for the money. If you even want to improve it get some KNS Anti-Rotate Trigger and Hammer Pins. It is also the trigger that was selected to be used in the 25,000 Federal Government contract guns. So must be something to it. I have a JP Match Single Stage in my 6.5 Grendel but certainly more money but I believe no more benefit to the rifles accuracy over the 2 Stage.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would sell it and start over w/ a BCM. The difference in quality will leave you dizzy and slightly teary eyed lol.

Before dropping coin on a trigger you may want to get a good grasp on the amount you will be shooting. There are good triggers and there are great triggers. Also one thing to remember is some triggers don't like high volume shooting and can become spongy and loose stages.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-27-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #9

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharder0002 View Post
... I got a great deal on a more or less brand new double star black rifle. What I was curious about was if this would be a good base to start adding on new parts to or If I should just think about building a new one from scratch.
I want to basically tear the whole rifle down and replace all the insides with pieces from RRA or Bravo company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharder0002 View Post
More or less plinking and occasionally the range. Might take it hunting every now and then as well.

Hypothetically If I replaced all the internals and the barrel with tier one parts wouldn't it shoot like a tier one gun? I mean like new everything besides stripped lower and upper and the other non essentials.
This build would take place over a couple months seeing as I'm a poor college student. But while I was building, I'd like to have something to get a little range time in with
I'd do like AgentTikki said and buy magazines and ammo now. Go out and shoot your new DS and see if it does what you want as is. For plinking it probably will. If you really want a tier 1 AR you could buy such an upper and use it on the DS lower, it should work very well, maybe upgrade the buffer to an H.

Don't tear up the DS though, keep the upper original because you may end up wanting to sell it like MJ said. It'll be a real hassle if you added a FF rail, low gas block and fancy muzzle brake, you'd have to try to put back together the stock DS upper because you'd lose too much giving away the upgrades.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 03-27-2012 at 01:30 AM.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Q, empty you inbox please.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."