New AR-15

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New AR-15

Just bought an Aero precision lower and am doing research on barrels and what not. My question is what is the benifit of havin the piston operated system (excuse the ignorance) or the standard recoil operated system. Any info is appreciated!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
Just bought an Aero precision lower and am doing research on barrels and what not. My question is what is the benifit of havin the piston operated system (excuse the ignorance) or the standard recoil operated system. Any info is appreciated!!
AR is not a recoil operated design, it is a direct gas impingement system and that is the source of the major knock against it by those that favor the gas piston system.

The venting of hot gases from the barrel back into the receiver can lead to fouling, carbon build-up and heat fatigue of the metal parts. The piston design captures the gases and vents them away from the chamber and receiver areas.

On the negative side, gas piston platforms are heavier and may give up accuracy as they have a tendency to drift due to the mass of the piston shifting the center of gravity on each shot.

On a side note how do you like the Aero lower? I recently picked up an AR-10 lower by them and am impressed by the machining and finish.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Most of us don't need a piston AR so don't let anyone convince you that you must have one. Normally a piston AR doesn't offer any advantages unless you go with a short barrel (say less than 14.5"). And the short barrel offsets the extra muzzle weight of a piston as well.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

AR is not a recoil operated design, it is a direct gas impingement system and that is the source of the major knock against it by those that favor the gas piston system.

The venting of hot gases from the barrel back into the receiver can lead to fouling, carbon build-up and heat fatigue of the metal parts. The piston design captures the gases and vents them away from the chamber and receiver areas.

On the negative side, gas piston platforms are heavier and may give up accuracy as they have a tendency to drift due to the mass of the piston shifting the center of gravity on each shot.

On a side note how do you like the Aero lower? I recently picked up an AR-10 lower by them and am impressed by the machining and finish.
Okay, thanks for the info. I didn't want to spend a few xtra 100's if I didn't need to. Ad for the aero, I live in cali so I'm waiting my 10 days, but the man I bought it from seemed very pleased with it. I'll have more info on my preference around the 6th. It felt great tho.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Fellow Kommiefornian!

My first upper was a piston. Shot about 500 rounds out of it, sold it, don't miss it. Well.............

Since then all my upprs have been. DIs. Its smoother, lighter cheaper and inherently more accurate.

The piston system is not bad, but I personally prefer a gasser. I really wouldn't recommend a piston unless you were planning on storming the beaches of Normandie etc etc. A DI is reliable if you maintain it, even if it is just lubing the bcg.

The only time I miss my piston is when I clean my ARs.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

the only benefit of a piston over dgi (direct gas impingment) is under sustained fully automatic fire. so if you have a NFA registered m16 your going to employ in a squad automatic weapon role and run thousands of rounds of ammo at a time by way of 100 round beta mags there is no reason to decrease accuracy and increase weight and amount of parts to break.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...