You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

New 458 Socom build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 4454

Quote:
Originally Posted by officerX View Post
TROMIX upper, 16" barrel, bolt, gas block, gas tube and flash hider. BCM KMR-A rail, BCM complete lower and BCM bolt carrier. Trijicon MRO on a LaRue mount. I have a BCM short vertical grip and rail covers on the way and I just received my CMMG MkW-15 (modified Lancer L5-AWM) mags. I ordered 80 rounds of Big Grains from Freedom Munitions for $1.60 round that will be arriving next week. I don't have the time or space for reloading and none of my LGS or big box stores carry it so I'm stuck buying online.
I thought pretty hard about just buying an upper for this round. But I've been building my own for too many years to back away from a challenge now. Not much savings to be had over a factory upper in 458. Not all that many suppliers. So no economic reason for one way, over the other.

Mags were an area of concern for me. I know the 458 is supposed to feed fine from stock GI mags, but everyone seems to half moon cut the front and put in center feed followers. I have a couple followers I got in a box of trade goods a while ago. Thinking of just modding a couple GI 30rd bodies and marking them as 458's. Teflon coated, stainless bodied mags. Some guys say it only helps with unloading the mags, and large flat nosed bullets. But those are on my list of things I want to try. Probably not necessary, but I'll do it anyway.

Nice to know about Freedom Munitions. Thats a better price than what I've been seeing. It's always going to be a specialty round, probably never make the Wal-Mart shelves. But you'd think that Cabelas would have a couple boxes on the shelf, at least the Texas and "hog country" stores. They carry 450 Bushmaster....

During initial accuracy testing I want to try as wide a range of ammo as practical. I may buy 3-4 boxes of different factory loads. I can always reload the brass, and copy the load data/bullet/velocities if I find that special load the rifle likes...

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 06-09-2017 at 05:41 PM.