New 300blk build, did i miss anythung?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > New 300blk build, did i miss anythung?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Default New 300blk build, did i miss anythung?

I have been sharing my 300 Blk upper with my bushmaster xm 5.56 to shoot it. Prices are coming down and parts are starting to become available so I want to complete the build. It is going to be my primary home defense and sub 200 yard plinking fun gun. A suppressor is in NFA jail for 6-10 months.

What I have:
PSA 16" 300 Blk upper with YHM diamond carbine quad rail and A2 flash hider which will be replaced with the suppressor QD flash hider, no BCG or charging handle. It is a flat top, low profile gas block.
PSA or Detroit Gun Works stripped lower.

What I want to get and can afford and is in stock at the moment:

BCM Gunfighter medium charging handle
PSA complete lower parts kit with Magpull CTR stock
Magpull backup sights, front and back
Giselle super semi automatic enhanced trigger
And an end plate on the stock for sling attachment
Blackhawk vertical grip

That is what I have so far and can't imagine anything else. I do need a BCG but right now only premium or cheap ones are available. I can use the bushmaster BCG until I can find a good one under $180.

I also have a Vortex Strikefire red/green dot scope but was thinking of using the last of my funds to replace it with an Aimpoint Pro.

Did I miss anything for an uber build or is something better? I'm ordering before this weekend so it has to be in stock. Hopefully everything on my list is still in stock when I get around to placing an order!

The vertical grip and lighter, better trigger are pretty essential to keep the rifle steady and my trigger pull can be less than smooth so a better trigger=more accuracy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I would recommend a set of KNS Anti-Rotation Pins for the Trigger and Hammer. I have not seen a rifle yet that they did not significantly improve the trigger and hammer function. They keep the pins from rotating as well as take up any play or movement. Also they are inexpensive at around $28.00.
In addition they can be used to improve and repair the receiver in older guns that have worn tolerances on the trigger and hammer pin holes.

kns-anti-rotation-set.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

I saw a screw on Joe Bobs under the new items link that was supposed to eliminate trigger wobble and make it smoother. Is this a similar concept? I was interested in the product but I figured I could add it later if I felt the trigger needed it. This will not be a precision marksmanship rifle.
I also forgot to mention that I already got the recently on special punch set from PSA and a DPMS multi use wrench to assemble the lower. I don't have a vise or holding blocks but I font think I need them for a lower as only the stock tube will need to be cranked on.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

Regarding the holding blocks. You probably will not need them anyway. Assembling the Lower Receiver and even the Extension Tube for the stock is not that difficult of issue. If you do not have plates for your vice you can use two hardwood 1/2 X 1/2 blocks on each side of the vise jaws and tighten them on each side of your Pivot Pin and Take Down Pin Lugs "ONLY" on the Receiver to hold it while working on the Extension Tube. In addition be sure you have proper engagement on your Buffer Retainer when screwing in the Extension Tube into the Receiver. The front end of the Extension Tube should be half way between the outside edge of the Buffer Retainer and the Tip of the Buffer Retainer when properly installed. Failure of proper engagement can result in permanent damage to the Lower Receiver or weapon malfunction should the Buffer Retainer work out or become a loose fit. And I would suggest using about two small drops of Blue Loctite Thread Locker on he Extension Tube Threads when locking the Castle Nut or Lock Ring on it against the receiver.
*That is two very small pencil tip sized drops! Then tighten the Castle Nut or Lock Ring and hit the Stock Wrench while on the Castle Nut or Ring two or three times just firmly not hard with the nylon end of a small hammer. When the thread locker sets you will have no problems! That will be sufficient. A CAR Stock Wrench is recommended.

Joe Bob does sell KNS Anti Rotation Pins

img_0365.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

I researched the anti rotation pins and found a statement from Giselle that they do not recommend using them. If I recall the article correctly, the pins are not a good fit for their triggers and the provided pins are top notch.

I ordered everything I listed above the day after I started this thread. The sling plate and magpul BUS from joe bobs and the DPMS wrench and gunfighter latch from BCM arrived yesterday. The lower build and trigger are still processing at PSA. None of what I ordered from PSA is still in stock. They no longer have their warning that high volumes have caused delays so I'm not sure what is taking so long.

The magpul sights are nice. The gunfighter charging handle is awesome. I won't go without one on future builds.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Geissele has gone the record saying that IF your lower is in spec, they are not needed and should not be used with Geissele's triggers.

If you have a new AR, you don't really need them. Some people say that they do improve trigger feel as the pins do not rotate, and do provide a measure of insurance.

I've had/have 5 Geissele triggers (SSA, SSA-E, SDC, SDC-3, SD3G), and have NEVER had a pin walk on me with over the thousands and thousands rounds I put through them. All my lowers were aluminum and new.

If I were using a polymer lower I'd give serious consideration to using them.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #7

No poly lowers here. I have 2 PSA and 1 DGW aluminum gathering dust. The DGW is a darker black but a bit shiny.
The best part is the Giselle SSA-e trigger was cheaper as a LPK. So I can use that LPK and the trigger stock trigger that comes with the CTR lower build kit and build a lower into a pistol if I can find a pistol buffer tube. I'm building two at once!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
No poly lowers here. I have 2 PSA and 1 DGW aluminum gathering dust. The DGW is a darker black but a bit shiny.
The best part is the Giselle SSA-e trigger was cheaper as a LPK. So I can use that LPK and the trigger stock trigger that comes with the CTR lower build kit and build a lower into a pistol if I can find a pistol buffer tube. I'm building two at once!
You are a sick sick man.....GRATZ !

Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

Just to update, all my parts came in. The Giselle trigger is light and clean. I will have to get used to it!
My build of the lower took about 2 hours and I dinged up some of the anodizing with my brass hammer. Those darn roll pins did not go in easily.
Other than that, I only had to chase detents and springs a few times and swear at the trigger as I tried to push the pin through.
I also need to practice with the vertical grip. It is not natural for me yet.
Now I need a BCG as I'm borrowing one from my 5.56 bushmaster. AIM surplus had good ones for cheap but they were gone before my CC payment posted.

Lastly, I have a Vortex Strikefire red/green sight on it now. It works very well. I could get an Aimpoint Pro and put the Vortex on the 5.56 or save $ to buy components for ammo in bulk.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

Ya know, all this talk and no pron, makes Tikki a dull boy.

Protip! Next time, try using a lot of masking tape, and an adjustable jaw wrench to squeeze those pesky roll pins in.