Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   New 300+ yard upper (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-300-yard-upper-34086/)

diggsbakes 11-07-2010 10:47 PM

New 300+ yard upper
 
Alright all you seasoned FTF AR biulders I'm currently in the market for a new upper that will consistently hit stuff (that I'm aiming at of course :)) past the 300 yard line and approaching the high 500's (don't wanna pust it wiht saying 600 :eek:).

Price range is an issue, but not limited to "blue light" type specials. This is more of a be4st bang for the buck type situation and if the bang is big enough I can pust the $$$ up TO A POINT.

I've got a line of projects (which is GREAT!!!), so a complete upper is looking desirable, but I will find the time to build one if necessary and practical. Keep in mind this will only be my 2nd full build, but I usually pick up quite a bit out of stuff like this and I'm confident and ready to go.

I'm having trouble finding what I had in mind. I wanted to go with a Spikes upper and their BCG after hearing nothing but great reviews, but their packages (at least at their website) don't fit what I'm looking for. This one will be a flat top equipped with a float tube on the forend, 4-12x scope and 1 o-clock BUIS as opposed to flip ups. 18" barrel minimum, but I'd hate to go too far past the 20" mark. Rifle length gas system (of course) and fixed stock.

Any help?

I used BCM for everything on my last/first build (M4gery) and had nothing bad to say about them.

Dillinger 11-07-2010 11:02 PM

You want to stick with the AR-15 lower Diggs? Just assembling an accurate upper to swap in and out?

You want to reload for the unit? Or do you want off the shelf ammo?

JD

JonM 11-07-2010 11:25 PM

hunting or just target shooting. the 223 loses a whole lot of capability past 300 yards.

diggsbakes 11-08-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 382303)
You want to stick with the AR-15 lower Diggs? Just assembling an accurate upper to swap in and out?

You want to reload for the unit? Or do you want off the shelf ammo?

JD

JD, I have another complete lower (in parts still, so trigger modification is possible) waiting for a match. I think I know what you're getting at and YES a .308 is on the horizon. :) So I guess the answer to your question is kinda yes and no. No swapping will be going on, but it will be just a plain ol AR lower.

I may eventually be reloading for the .223, but that's is at least one more "bonus/vacation" type check away. So shelf ammo will be fed for now.

mjkeat 11-08-2010 02:37 PM

Larue makes an awesomely accurate upper for around $1200.

Dillinger 11-08-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 382466)
JD, I have another complete lower (in parts still, so trigger modification is possible) waiting for a match. I think I know what you're getting at and YES a .308 is on the horizon. :) So I guess the answer to your question is kinda yes and no. No swapping will be going on, but it will be just a plain ol AR lower.

I may eventually be reloading for the .223, but that's is at least one more "bonus/vacation" type check away. So shelf ammo will be fed for now.

Well, the problem then becomes finding an AR-15 compatible upper that will deliver the goods at 300 plus yards that isn't .223/5.56mm and has off the shelf ammo available....

How about the 6.8 x 43??

Ammo is available off the shelf, but it's kind of pricey: Silver State Armory, manufacturing 6.8 SPC Ammunition and bullets and custom brass cases, manufacturer

There are several companies that make dedicated uppers. Here is one that we recently ordered for a guy:

Innovative Tactical Systems LLC, Made in USA, AR 15 uppers, piston operated tactical upper, 5.56, 6.8spc, custom precision barrels

As for a SHTF gun, this wouldn't be a good combo unless you were reloading, or you had the cash to buy a ton of ammo to have handy. But the reported performance will achieve everything you are looking to do and it will have the ability to flat knock something in the dirt at the ranges you are talking about.

Wambli 11-09-2010 12:38 PM

Here is my 300-500 yard AR:
DPMS Heavy barrel 16" 1:9. Full upper came out of Midway and it is tight enough with the right lower to need a little handfitting. I have 2 other friends that have the same upper and we are all getting the same sub-MOA shooting results with off the shelf ammo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/DSC05412.jpg

Gold Dot LE Only ammo 64 gr.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/DSC05385.jpg

Scope is a Nikon Monarch.
Ps. they have the same upper in longer barrel lengths.

diggsbakes 11-11-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 382727)
Well, the problem then becomes finding an AR-15 compatible upper that will deliver the goods at 300 plus yards that isn't .223/5.56mm and has off the shelf ammo available....

How about the 6.8 x 43??


Innovative Tactical Systems LLC, Made in USA, AR 15 uppers, piston operated tactical upper, 5.56, 6.8spc, custom precision barrels

As for a SHTF gun, this wouldn't be a good combo unless you were reloading, or you had the cash to buy a ton of ammo to have handy. But the reported performance will achieve everything you are looking to do and it will have the ability to flat knock something in the dirt at the ranges you are talking about.

That sounds fun as hell!

I'm still really leery of any cartridge that hasn't been around for a few decades. I'd like to be able to scrounge up ammo in the case of SHTF. Basically from this point on EVERY gun I put in the safe will be geared in that direction.

So. . . Maybe I should be thinking about just building an economical rifle out of one of the lowers I put together and sell it as a complete rifle, then use that $$$ to get started on a .308 . . . ? :)

Does any one know of an economical route to go in regards to an AR-10 ? ? ? I know the selection is much more limited, but if we could figure out a formula for a great price (glass not included ;)) I would gladly put it together.

Any ideas? Link?

Squirrel_Slayer 11-11-2010 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's not an AR10, but I wanted to show it off anyways. I fling lead at 300+ yards with it regularly and get sub MOA group pretty regularly.

Dillinger 11-11-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 384306)
Does any one know of an economical route to go in regards to an AR-10 ? ? ? I know the selection is much more limited, but if we could figure out a formula for a great price (glass not included ;)) I would gladly put it together.

Any ideas? Link?

I am doing a bunch of research on an AR-10 variant right now Diggs. I will have information in another thread as I gain it and will make sure and update you. ;)

JD


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.