Need your help!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Need your help!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some great advice here! I bought my first AR about 5 mos. ago, I am 39. I am FINALLY at a point in my life where I have enough extra income to start an AR habit. Haha. I thought the 1800 dollar gun would be the big expense. LOL yeah right! I spend about 400 a month in ammo, and another 400 or so in AR stuff;-)

Enjoy high school! Your time will come.

Fetep

Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So is there any gun you would suggest me looking into now or are you all saying I should wait to get one?
Also u have been considering joining the military and have applications to west point and the air force academy being considered right now. I am a successful wrestler and football player. I am an a student. I hate when people assume off of one thing I want that I am irresponsible, naive or in other ways childish. Some kids my age like golf, some like computers, some drugs and alcohol. I like guns. I don't see a difference in importance of my hobby to anybody playing golf.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you don't have a lot of disposible income, a more precision oriented build would probably be better. The main reason being, ammo costs >>>much greater>>>rifle cost. A RRA or a build with a stainless barrel, wylde chamber and floated handguards.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So like what gun are you thinking? Are you suggesting a certain gun or just a certain type?

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And also I never said and never have thought of putting an ar 15 in between me and a college education. If I was in college running low on money I would not become a hobo with an assault rifle I'd sell the thing and get a new one when I become that engineer. I am not stupid. I have a great future ahead of me and I am not going to let things squander it. I do see where you guys are coming from. But I'm looking to build mine. Using a part of my paycheck to buy parts the rest to save for college/emergency. I'm not an idiot. I already have a decent chunk of change saved up all the way back from my childhood of doing jobs and putting a little birthday money etc. I have my life pretty squared away. The next five years will just be finishing off the good start I've already got. So please stop with assuming I don't have my life straight just cause I want an ar 15 at age 18. Cause we all know what it means to assume

Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
fmj

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Took me 42 years to get an AR!! Listen to your mother, lad! Being the dad of 22, 17 and 13 y/o's i will tell you like i tell mine. When you're out on your own, you can have/do whatever you want. But until you pay your own rent on your own place...what momma (or daddy) says is LAW!

Relax lad, it will come. As stated before. there is SO much more important in your near future than an AR.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by maso157 View Post
And also I never said and never have thought of putting an ar 15 in between me and a college education. If I was in college running low on money I would not become a hobo with an assault rifle I'd sell the thing and get a new one when I become that engineer. I am not stupid. I have a great future ahead of me and I am not going to let things squander it. I do see where you guys are coming from. But I'm looking to build mine. Using a part of my paycheck to buy parts the rest to save for college/emergency. I'm not an idiot. I already have a decent chunk of change saved up all the way back from my childhood of doing jobs and putting a little birthday money etc. I have my life pretty squared away. The next five years will just be finishing off the good start I've already got. So please stop with assuming I don't have my life straight just cause I want an ar 15 at age 18. Cause we all know what it means to assume
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Took me 42 years to get an AR!! Listen to your mother, lad! Being the dad of 22, 17 and 13 y/o's i will tell you like i tell mine. When you're out on your own, you can have/do whatever you want. But until you pay your own rent on your own place...what momma (or daddy) says is LAW!

Relax lad, it will come. As stated before. there is SO much more important in your near future than an AR.
i am of the same belief as FMJ, as long as you live at home, it's your mother's house and she gets to set the rules. house rules. her house, her rules. the fact that you're old enough legally to buy one, doesn't override that fact. there will be plenty of time to get an AR. slow down, keep your priorities in order and concentrate on your education.

there may be some small part of assumption on our part, as we see many that come on here who want something and just because it's cool or any other assorted reasons. many of them don't have their priorities in order. young and impatient. and even if it was golf, and your mother didn't want you to spend $2000 on the best set of golf clubs, i would still agree with her. i am glad that you have the passion for firearms. another choice is, find someplace that rents them and and rent an AR to shoot. as AT suggested, builf one. a piece, here a piece there. it will take longer, but you could build one cheaper and have a better quality AR, but it would take a little longer than just walking into a gun store and buying one.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #18

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When I got married we were both in college living in a small apt in Atlanta and all we had was a bed a cheap table and sofa, not TV. The wife was going to Emory University Medical school and I was working and attending Georga Tech. I'm a retired M.E.E.
Engineering used to be a good profession. Get your education first , then buy guns or get a job and your own place. When I got out of High School, I couldn't wait to get away from home. You're young and have dreams and they will come true later, much later, but it's worth the wait.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok this thread has clearly lost the meaning I was going for. And I was planning on a gradual build. Like a stripped receiver here and build off that get a stock later and attach that and work it up till I have a good rifle that I built for not a terrible amount of money.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think you are missing the point.

Closed Thread

Newest Threads