Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need your help!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need your help!!

Alright so I am 18 but have one more year of highschool. I have set my personal goal to have an ar 15 ASAP. However since I'm still in highschool I'm having trouble convincing the mom that I should have one. I already have a shotgun. Every self respecting man in my state has at least one gun. She doesn't see the practicality or what I'll use it for. (target shooting mostly and whatever else. Home defense if the ever comes up. I know it's kinda big for that but I'm not gonna rule it out.) anyways I need a list of reasons to convince her that it not only should be allowed but encouraged for me to own an ar15

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20028 Times on 11389 Posts
Likes Given: 50532

Quote:
Originally Posted by maso157 View Post
Alright so I am 18 but have one more year of highschool. I have set my personal goal to have an ar 15 ASAP. However since I'm still in highschool I'm having trouble convincing the mom that I should have one. I already have a shotgun. Every self respecting man in my state has at least one gun. She doesn't see the practicality or what I'll use it for. (target shooting mostly and whatever else. Home defense if the ever comes up. I know it's kinda big for that but I'm not gonna rule it out.) anyways I need a list of reasons to convince her that it not only should be allowed but encouraged for me to own an ar15
first of all, stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

well my suggestion would be to finish high school and graduate, get a job and a place to live and support yourself and then there would be no reason to have to make a list of reasons to get an AR for your mother. it's called being an adult and being responsible. you need to learn your needs from your wants. then you start putting some money back and start saving for one is the way you get one. set a realistic goal and then start saving for it. if you set a goal and follow through, you will have saved up enough before you know it.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

axxe55 is right on. I would put all of those things above an AR15. I own one. But but my diploma and my own place would have come first. The only thing better than your first place is the love of a good woman.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Your mother is right. Your priorities are out of wack. Your in school, no job, living in your parents home there is no need for you to have something like that until your taking care of yourself.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok well to be honest I will probably continue saving and trying to convince her despite what you guys say. I'm a smart guy. I will be an engineer some day and I am not really worried. I can't move out of my moms house because of the highschool I am going to. They have a rule that students mist live with parents or an appropriate guardian despite their age.

However I will probably continue saving for this rifle. Thanks for your guys time.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Ok well to be honest I will probably continue saving and trying to convince her despite what you guys say. I'm a smart guy. I will be an engineer some day and I am not really worried. I can't move out of my moms house because of the highschool I am going to. They have a rule that students mist live with parents or an appropriate guardian despite their age.

However I will probably continue saving for this rifle. Thanks for your guys time.
personally i find any of that hard to believe until you learn to see to your needs rather than your wants. until you learn to put your priorities first, achieving anything such as being an engineer will likely never happen. if you ever learn to be paitent and to make your priorities the first order and quit thinking like a kid and start thinking like an adult, you might be able to afford many of them one day. when i left home and on my own, i was worried about a roof over my head, food in my belly and gas in my car to go to work. guns were not a priority by any means. as i got older and made more money and could take of my priorities, and had some extra money, i started to save up and buy some guns.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
You know, I've got to say this. When I was 18, right about this day (actually 6/26/1966) I joined the Army. They handed me an M14, then I blinked my eyes and they handed me an M16 in Vietnam. 18 year olds do have choices and it's getting time to lead your own life. I see lots of kids wasting time when there are choices. The military isn't a bad choice, you'll become a man and serve your country. We could use a few more young people serving our country.

Don't know why you haven't already graduated but something to keep in mind.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

Quenton, excellent advice! he would learn responsibility and they would turn him from a boy and into a man. he could learn a trade, get money for college and learn to take care of himself.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

There will certainly be a time when the shooting hobby and a rifle collection will be practical. I would agree with your mother that there is no practical reason for you to own an AR15 while in high school. I am also an engineer, and can attest that your finances and attention will be better served on other priorities if your intent is an engineering degree. Money and time for shooting are a luxury afforded with hard work. Many shooting ranges have a selection of rifles for rent. I don't know the laws in your state, but you are a few years from selecting an AR without parental support. Best of luck with your diploma and degree. There will be plenty of time for a shooting hobby. And there are several careers that can support this interest much more than engineering.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

When the time comes.. it will be yours. For the time being, listen to your mom as suggested by others.

Closed Thread