Need an Upper (or tow) TODAY! Would love input.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Need an Upper (or tow) TODAY! Would love input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Need an Upper (or two) TODAY! Would love input.

Here's the dilemma. Looks like my BCM upper will be tied up for a little while, so I'm gonna go ahead and finish off some of my my other projects.

I NEED 2 UPPERS!

I'd like at least one to really put it out to the 500 yd line. I'm not opposed to RRA, STAG, BUSHMASTER, ARMALITE, etc.

Piston driven is desirable for one possibility.

Basically Right now I have 2 complete lowers and they need to be rifles, either to sell or save while I have my BCM repaired and re-barreled.

So help a brother out! Where's all the sweet deals going down at? Any blackfriday leftovers.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 11-28-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

pistons do bad things to accuracy. since i am assuming thats what your after with a 500 yard desired range. a piston system is like the opposite effect of free floating.

ive been impressed so far with my RRA 458 socom upper. the only gripe i have is they lock-tite the free float handguards. since im not a fan of free floats due to weight issues i cussed a bit when i figured that out. quality is pretty high on the RRA upper and lower i have. the free float tube is really nice that came with it. after i get from my deer hunt im going to remove that hand guard and replace the barrel nut and free float with clamshell a2 handguards if i cant dig up some midlength triangles.

im pretty sure my next AR will be a rock river in 308.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
pistons do bad things to accuracy. since i am assuming thats what your after with a 500 yard desired range. a piston system is like the opposite effect of free floating.
The piston gun wouldn't be the 500 yard gun, although I shot a LWRC piston gun Friday and the gun's owner (may Dad) shot consistent 3/4"-1/2" groups @ 100yds.

Let me re-phrase the question by beginning with a statement:

I really like ARs. My Ar is broke. I really like piston guns. I really like distance guns. I want an upper today.

I wonder where I could spend $600-$900 and satisfy at least one of those criteria that I have.

Looking at RRA's LR HB types. Liking them

Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

im not sure RRA offers a piston upper. they have full rifle pistons. they do have affordable longer range uppers with lots of nice options like full chrome bcg/bolt and other options.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

OK, I'm not set on a piston!

They'd be great, but a superaccurate 20" hbar/bull would be ideal for a long(er) ranged gun. I would consider taking in anything quality for the 300yd on in gun. This gun would obviosly sport a FF (hell even 2 piece) quad rail system and optics/accessories that would aid in this range of shooting. If this turned into a piston gun, great. If not, oh well. . . .

The Bushmaster dissipator just came to me as an opportunity. I'm not a big Bushy fan, but at $750 for the rifle, that leaves me room for improvement.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey diggs, I've still got my stripped upper.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I know spitty. . . you'd have to talk me into that one. A del-ton may be one of the solutions for the "less that custom" lower, but it'll have to be complete with BCG, BARREL, etc. That way I can ditch that rifle pretty quickly at a the show or my shop at NO loss.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good luck, my friend.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Good luck, my friend.
THANK YOU!

As luck would have it. (and this never happens to me) I was left with a Bushmaster Dissipator today.

Now I still need to replace the barrel on the BCM, but should it be 14.5" or convert into a distance gun? Better sleep on this one.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Bump, for the good of my gun safe.

ALL QUALITY AR -15 PARTS ARE WELCOME TOO!!!

Spitty, I may be looking your way!