Need some "M4" advice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need some "M4" advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Need some "M4" advice

Hello all. Long story short..... I need a reliable M4 clone for my wife. (She had a recent surgery, and cant use her M1A Bush rifle for very long at the range without making her sore). We normally shoot up about a case of 7.62x51mm per month. M1Carbine is fun, but she wants a little more range than the little 30CAR can offer.
Here is what I'm lookin for .

1. Flat top rec. ( Will be using a GGnG MAD Buis for irons, along with an optic later)
2. Std front sight. (Triangle shape)
3. CAR handgaurds ( Dont need a bunch of rails out there)
4. As close to a military M4 as legally possible...(parts wise at least)
5. Lightweight as possible (Heavy/bull bbl not needed)
6. A complete rifle, or complete upper/lower combo...whichever costs less
7. Chrome lined bbl preffered. ( M4 bbl indentation not needed as we wont have need of an M203 for this rifle....
8. Needs to be reliable
9. Collapsible stock that works. (No pinned open types). Also lookin for the type that has the "built in" sling swivel on the top of the stock back by the "buttplate". ....Hope that makes sense.
10. No more than $ 750.00 if possible. If more, then how much more?
11. 5.56mm surp/metal case will be shot through it alot, and some hunting loads.....coyote/hogs/etc... (Anything speciall you recomend when it comes to metal cased ammo such as wolf?)
The rifle will see alot of shooting in it;s life...and in all types of weather. She will also be using it to hunt hogs with later on.....all weather.....

What do you AR guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I think request #10 killed the M4 idea.. I think that 1000 bucks is a more reasonable price for the goodies your lookin for.. At least for something reliable.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #3

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Here is a start, see if any of these Manufacturers has what you like. I have AR platforms from each one and can say I am very pleased with their products. Good luck, if you need anything else just holla'.

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
Stag Arms
Rock River Arms: CAR A2 / A4

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 12-12-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

I have found a few on the net that are in the ballpark as far as price goes.

Doublestar $650.00 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411537957
DTI $650.00 Local gunshop
CMMG $700.00 Local

For 650 bucks, I just might pick up two of them. Looks like Doublestar builds lowers for other companies.

So what does yall think of these? Should I pay twice as much to get a Colt,Armalite,RRA, BM, or will the companies above build good ones.?

Last edited by fragout; 12-12-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Nice find on the Doublestar from Bud's. From the reviews on their website it seems everyone is happy with the product and the service. I have not purchased anything from Bud's but when I was looking at getting an AR last year the people there were very friendly and helpful.

And no, you do not need to spend double the money to get an enjoyable, accurate and reliable AR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Only problem with the Doublestar is that it's chambered in .223, so you won't be able to shoot that Surplus 5.56.

Your best bet, especially when trying to stay within a budget, is probably going to be to build one. You'll get the best deal that way, plus you can get all the things you want, and none of the things you don't.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post

Your best bet, especially when trying to stay within a budget, is probably going to be to build one. You'll get the best deal that way, plus you can get all the things you want, and none of the things you don't.

-Fred
I would second that information.

You can get better quality components and you can bargain shop at the same time.

Plenty of guys here have built their own SUR's and they have ALL got a much better understanding of the platform and what makes it run.

$750.00 is possible, but I think the ideal range, right now, is about $850-$900 depending on options.

I could build you one for $750.00, but it wouldn't be the best quality piece of kit at the end of the day.

If you need help, shoot me a PM, or post here in the AR section, there is a ton of good build information around these parts.

JD

Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the help. (Didnt realize that Doublestar was chambered for 223 only)

AR's have come along way since I last owned one. Feels as if I'm starting over from scratch. I use the M4/M16 at work quite a bit,but havent really messed with an AR of any kind in over a decade.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I would second that information.

You can get better quality components and you can bargain shop at the same time.

Plenty of guys here have built their own SUR's and they have ALL got a much better understanding of the platform and what makes it run.

$750.00 is possible, but I think the ideal range, right now, is about $850-$900 depending on options.

I could build you one for $750.00, but it wouldn't be the best quality piece of kit at the end of the day.

If you need help, shoot me a PM, or post here in the AR section, there is a ton of good build information around these parts.

JD
I appreciate it. Since my wife is my #1 shootin buddy, I want to keep her shooting the way she likes, and as much as she likes.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you can get the CMMG for $700, and it is NOT one of their Bargain Bin specials but a true CMMG, I would take that.

If that Doublestar is chambered in .223, I might pass on that, even though that is a really good price.

If you can swing a little bit more:

Rock River Arms Mid-Length A4 Rifle This Rifle features a 16" Wilson chrome moly mid length barrel and gas system 1:9 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber, 2 stage match trigger and 6 pos stock. Copy of FFL is required for purchase of a complete firearm.

Our Price: each $869.50 - that is from PK Firearms site.

Or...from that same site, you can get :
Sabre Defence 6 Position Lower Half Sabre Defence lower with Rock River Arms lower receiver parts kit installed. New Improved 6 position stock kit installed. Copy of FFL Required for purchase. PK Firearms | Online Store

Our Price: each $265.00

Rock River Arms Mid Length A4 Lightweight Complete Upper Rock River Arms 16" lightweight barrel with 5.56 NATO chamber and 1/9 twist rate. Mid-length hand guards and steel front sight tower with bayonet lug. A4 flat top Receiver. PK Firearms | Online Store

Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.
Our Price: each $475.00

Total = $740

Now you would still have to add BUIS or some type of optics to that. You would be saving a little bit because you would only be paying taxes on the lower, not a complete gun. But...you would have to pay a FFL transfer fee, which you would have had to pay from Bud's, too. Other than that, slat the upper and lower together, push in the two pins and you are almost ready to rock and roll.

OR....buy pieces that you like and want on this particular gun, and assemble it. For what you are looking for, you could get close to that price point.

Slo