Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need some help picking a kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some help picking a kit

I am trying to pick a kit to build a "cheapest possible" rifle that I can beef up later. Does anyone know the difference between the "16" rifle kit" and the "16" M4 rifle kit on this webpage? Is the M4 kit worth an extra $20

Also, I found this lower. Anyone have any idea if its decent, the price seems to low for it to be any good, but like I said, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible up front so as to secure permission from the budget office (wife)

Last edited by enderwig; 01-05-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The link to the lower would not work for me. The Del-Ton is a good kit, I just built the 16" kit and shoots great.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
The link to the lower would not work for me. The
Fixed the link.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The M4 kit states that the barrel is "light weight under handguards" and has "CAR handguards with heatsheilds". The 16 just says the barrel is "16" Mid-Length" and the handguards are "Mid-Length with heatshield"

For what that's worth.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwig View Post
I am trying to pick a kit to build a "cheapest possible" rifle that I can beef up later. Does anyone know the difference between the "16" rifle kit" and the "16" M4 rifle kit on this webpage? Is the M4 kit worth an extra $20

Also, I found this lower. Anyone have any idea if its decent, the price seems to low for it to be any good, but like I said, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible up front so as to secure permission from the budget office (wife)
Del-Ton kits are good to go. The difference you have in those 2 kits, the M4 kit has the M4 cuts in the barrel contour (designed to add clearance for a grenade launcher ) You can also order it with the M4 cuts in the chamber (basically extended feed ramps - designed to make feeding more reliable on burst or full auto guns) but adds more cost.

The other kit is basically a heavy barrel with or w/o chrome lining, no M4 cuts - a standard 16" carbine.

For the money, you might want to consider the Mid-Length rifle kit. The Mid-length has a longer gas tube (between a carbine and rifle) that makes for a longer gas impulse, that they say decreases the felt-recoil (not that there is much to begin with), also gives you a longer sight-radius over the 16" carbine length - as the front sight it located a little farther down the barrel - which makes your sighting a little more accurate.

Either would be a good kit to start with. For the $20 difference, I'd probably choose the Mid-length. The M4 is going to be mainly LOOKS.

That lower receiver is pretty darn good price. I've never heard of them myself, but they state that they are forged and Mil-spec'd. So the only thing different from them and most of the others, would be the roll-mark (name - on the side)

Slo

Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #6

I hadn't considered the mid length model, thanks for the information about that. I think thats probably the one I'll go with now. Also thanks for info about the differences in the regular and M4, doesn't sound like I need anything the M4 model has to offer. Now off to find a local FFL to order that lower!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

I dont know about the Sharps.
As far as the RGuns branded lowers, they are just fine. I have one on my second build and it has performed flawlessly.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)