Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Need some help picking a kit (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/need-some-help-picking-kit-21853/)

enderwig 01-05-2010 07:20 PM

Need some help picking a kit

I am trying to pick a kit to build a "cheapest possible" rifle that I can beef up later. Does anyone know the difference between the "16" rifle kit" and the "16" M4 rifle kit on this webpage? Is the M4 kit worth an extra $20

Also, I found this lower. Anyone have any idea if its decent, the price seems to low for it to be any good, but like I said, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible up front so as to secure permission from the budget office :D (wife)

Dzscubie 01-05-2010 07:51 PM

The link to the lower would not work for me. The Del-Ton is a good kit, I just built the 16" kit and shoots great.

enderwig 01-05-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 208807)
The link to the lower would not work for me. The

Fixed the link.

Troy Michalik 01-05-2010 09:07 PM

The M4 kit states that the barrel is "light weight under handguards" and has "CAR handguards with heatsheilds". The 16 just says the barrel is "16" Mid-Length" and the handguards are "Mid-Length with heatshield"

For what that's worth.

slowryde45 01-05-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enderwig (Post 208789)
I am trying to pick a kit to build a "cheapest possible" rifle that I can beef up later. Does anyone know the difference between the "16" rifle kit" and the "16" M4 rifle kit on this webpage? Is the M4 kit worth an extra $20

Also, I found this lower. Anyone have any idea if its decent, the price seems to low for it to be any good, but like I said, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible up front so as to secure permission from the budget office :D (wife)

Del-Ton kits are good to go. The difference you have in those 2 kits, the M4 kit has the M4 cuts in the barrel contour (designed to add clearance for a grenade launcher :p) You can also order it with the M4 cuts in the chamber (basically extended feed ramps - designed to make feeding more reliable on burst or full auto guns) but adds more cost.

The other kit is basically a heavy barrel with or w/o chrome lining, no M4 cuts - a standard 16" carbine.

For the money, you might want to consider the Mid-Length rifle kit. The Mid-length has a longer gas tube (between a carbine and rifle) that makes for a longer gas impulse, that they say decreases the felt-recoil (not that there is much to begin with), also gives you a longer sight-radius over the 16" carbine length - as the front sight it located a little farther down the barrel - which makes your sighting a little more accurate.

Either would be a good kit to start with. For the $20 difference, I'd probably choose the Mid-length. The M4 is going to be mainly LOOKS. :p

That lower receiver is pretty darn good price. I've never heard of them myself, but they state that they are forged and Mil-spec'd. So the only thing different from them and most of the others, would be the roll-mark (name - on the side) ;)

Slo

enderwig 01-05-2010 11:38 PM

I hadn't considered the mid length model, thanks for the information about that. I think thats probably the one I'll go with now. Also thanks for info about the differences in the regular and M4, doesn't sound like I need anything the M4 model has to offer. Now off to find a local FFL to order that lower!

Gus556 01-05-2010 11:42 PM

I dont know about the Sharps.
As far as the RGuns branded lowers, they are just fine. I have one on my second build and it has performed flawlessly.