Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Default Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556

Okay guys, I am looking for some good information in regards to the Ruger SR-556 Essentials rifle. My local store is running a big Ruger sale tomorrow and will have it for $999. I know it's a good buy, and I Know that Ruger makes good products. My real question is, since it's a Gas Piston AR, what's the difference? I appreciate any feedback.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Can't speak for others, but I wouldn'd have a gas piston AR on a bet.

And 999 is about 400 more than I would pay for a Ruger.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Gas piston isn't horrible, it just doesn't follow the gas impingement system of Stoner, of course. The .223 round isn't dirty and so doesn't really need the piston like the 7.62x39mm does.

If this is your first AR, I'd definitely go with a mil-spec design over the AR-556. Ruger is a fine brand...ignore Locutus on that point.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

If this is your first AR, I'd definitely go with a mil-spec design over the AR-556. Ruger is a fine brand...ignore Locutus on that point.

Never said it wasn't. Just that IMHO, it's way, way overpriced for what you get.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #5

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I also read about the Rugers not cycling Tula or Wolf ammo very well , so keep that in mind , steel is high right now and brass is higher .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I wouldn't buy a Ruger AR either and that's coming from a guy who owns three other Rugers.

$1000 can buy a much better AR. I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game. Of course there are exceptions but none that important for a 14.5" and longer barrel.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I wouldn't buy a Ruger AR either and that's coming from a guy who owns three other Rugers.

$1000 can buy a much better AR. I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game. Of course there are exceptions but none that important for a 14.5" and longer barrel.
and remember they use proprietary piston parts , if it quits running you can send it back to ruger to get fixed , not just drop by your local dealer and pick up the spares, I have yet to see any spare Ruger parts on the shelves for these. Thats the advantage to DI ARs , they are all universal

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
and remember they use proprietary piston parts , if it quits running you can send it back to ruger to get fixed , not just drop by your local dealer and pick up the spares, I have yet to see any spare Ruger parts on the shelves for these. Thats the advantage to DI ARs , they are all universal
I don't think Ruger will sell the SR-556 owner spare parts so as you said if something proprietary breaks you have to send it to Ruger or an authorized repair center. Unlike an industry standard DI AR.

That's why I build my own PCs too. You buy Apple and you're locked into their game instead of replacing yesterday's standard part with a newer and better industry standard part. No thanks, I like to play by my rules. Plug and play vs. pay and pray.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game.
Don't lean forward when shooting, or you might fall over.

Seriously though, it's probably a very good buy at that price. And I might buy one at that price. And I might then resell it for a slight profit.

You can do pretty well for $1K (even now) on a standard 'mix/match' DI AR build. In fact, you could build a heckuva gun through PSA, BCM, or a combination of the two for that price. The end product "MSRP" would not be equal to the Ruger in question, but the utility and practicality would probably be superior. So it's just a matter of what you want.

I don't think it's a bad buy at all, especially at that price. You won't lose buying a Ruger 556 for $1K. I just think my interests would probably take me in a different direction.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Don't lean forward when shooting, or you might fall over...
After lugging it around all day that extra 8-12 oz way out front will get to many of us.

______