Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/need-some-advice-feedback-ruger-sr-556-a-88639/)

Powersportgiant 04-11-2013 11:17 PM

Need some advice/feedback Ruger SR-556
 
Okay guys, I am looking for some good information in regards to the Ruger SR-556 Essentials rifle. My local store is running a big Ruger sale tomorrow and will have it for $999. I know it's a good buy, and I Know that Ruger makes good products. My real question is, since it's a Gas Piston AR, what's the difference? I appreciate any feedback.

locutus 04-12-2013 02:03 AM

Can't speak for others, but I wouldn'd have a gas piston AR on a bet.

And 999 is about 400 more than I would pay for a Ruger.

CHLChris 04-12-2013 02:13 AM

Gas piston isn't horrible, it just doesn't follow the gas impingement system of Stoner, of course. The .223 round isn't dirty and so doesn't really need the piston like the 7.62x39mm does.

If this is your first AR, I'd definitely go with a mil-spec design over the AR-556. Ruger is a fine brand...ignore Locutus on that point.

locutus 04-12-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1211118)

If this is your first AR, I'd definitely go with a mil-spec design over the AR-556. Ruger is a fine brand...ignore Locutus on that point.


Never said it wasn't. Just that IMHO, it's way, way overpriced for what you get.

purehavoc 04-12-2013 02:02 PM

I also read about the Rugers not cycling Tula or Wolf ammo very well , so keep that in mind , steel is high right now and brass is higher .

Quentin 04-12-2013 02:14 PM

I wouldn't buy a Ruger AR either and that's coming from a guy who owns three other Rugers.

$1000 can buy a much better AR. I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game. Of course there are exceptions but none that important for a 14.5" and longer barrel.

purehavoc 04-12-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1211407)
I wouldn't buy a Ruger AR either and that's coming from a guy who owns three other Rugers.

$1000 can buy a much better AR. I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game. Of course there are exceptions but none that important for a 14.5" and longer barrel.

and remember they use proprietary piston parts , if it quits running you can send it back to ruger to get fixed , not just drop by your local dealer and pick up the spares, I have yet to see any spare Ruger parts on the shelves for these. Thats the advantage to DI ARs , they are all universal :D

Quentin 04-12-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1211521)
and remember they use proprietary piston parts , if it quits running you can send it back to ruger to get fixed , not just drop by your local dealer and pick up the spares, I have yet to see any spare Ruger parts on the shelves for these. Thats the advantage to DI ARs , they are all universal :D

I don't think Ruger will sell the SR-556 owner spare parts so as you said if something proprietary breaks you have to send it to Ruger or an authorized repair center. Unlike an industry standard DI AR.

That's why I build my own PCs too. You buy Apple and you're locked into their game instead of replacing yesterday's standard part with a newer and better industry standard part. No thanks, I like to play by my rules. Plug and play vs. pay and pray.

sweeper22 04-12-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1211407)
I'd pass on any piston AR, in general they are muzzle heavy and don't bring much important to the game.

Don't lean forward when shooting, or you might fall over.

Seriously though, it's probably a very good buy at that price. And I might buy one at that price. And I might then resell it for a slight profit.

You can do pretty well for $1K (even now) on a standard 'mix/match' DI AR build. In fact, you could build a heckuva gun through PSA, BCM, or a combination of the two for that price. The end product "MSRP" would not be equal to the Ruger in question, but the utility and practicality would probably be superior. So it's just a matter of what you want.

I don't think it's a bad buy at all, especially at that price. You won't lose buying a Ruger 556 for $1K. I just think my interests would probably take me in a different direction.

Quentin 04-12-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 1211617)
Don't lean forward when shooting, or you might fall over...

After lugging it around all day that extra 8-12 oz way out front will get to many of us.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.