Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
That deal no longer shows up on the link Cane gave us...?

I was looking at it myself yesterday....and I couldn't see anything that said "Monarch."
I think he was refering to this $99 Vortex on the left hand side of the page. Here is a direct link Lon.

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
That deal no longer shows up on the link Cane gave us...?

I was looking at it myself yesterday....and I couldn't see anything that said "Monarch."
Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos Riflescope

Or maybe I got it from the customer review?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just finished this one, this afternoon. What do you think?

Built on an old Bushmaster Lower, DSA 1:7 M4 Upper, with Magpul MOE handguards, MOE grip, Magpul P-Mag, Bushnell 1-4 x 24 in a RRA scope mount. (Jury is still out on the mount though, unless I go with an extended scope rail, there is no room for BUIS), Magpul CTR stock is waiting on the bench, thought I'd try an A2 stock on it first, to see how the family likes it. If not, then the CTR stock will be on.

To the OP, that could be another option for you. I found that scope on Optics Planet. Here's the link:

Bushnell Trophy Series 1-4x24 Black Matte with Illuminated Dot 30mm Tube Riflescope 731424M FREE S&H 731424M. Bushnell Trophy Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

I'm not sure if it is a TRUE 1x, but the 1-4x power makes it ideal for close to medium range. Also the illuminated center dot makes it ideal for low light conditions. It is a 30mm tube, so if you get one, make sure you get the right size rings or scope mount, for a 30mm. $139.95 plus FREE shipping.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post

Just finished this one, this afternoon. What do you think?

Built on an old Bushmaster Lower, DSA 1:7 M4 Upper, with Magpul MOE handguards, MOE grip, Magpul P-Mag, Bushnell 1-4 x 24 in a RRA scope mount. (Jury is still out on the mount though, unless I go with an extended scope rail, there is no room for BUIS), Magpul CTR stock is waiting on the bench, thought I'd try an A2 stock on it first, to see how the family likes it. If not, then the CTR stock will be on.

To the OP, that could be another option for you. I found that scope on Optics Planet. Here's the link:

Bushnell Trophy Series 1-4x24 Black Matte with Illuminated Dot 30mm Tube Riflescope 731424M FREE S&H 731424M. Bushnell Trophy Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

I'm not sure if it is a TRUE 1x, but the 1-4x power makes it ideal for close to medium range. Also the illuminated center dot makes it ideal for low light conditions. It is a 30mm tube, so if you get one, make sure you get the right size rings or scope mount, for a 30mm. $139.95 plus FREE shipping.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
what all will i need to mount a scope on my AR that dont come with a scope

Old 02-27-2010, 03:33 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone2 View Post
what all will i need to mount a scope on my AR that dont come with a scope
Stone,

First, what kind of upper receiver do you have? Is it a Flat top or A2 with built-in handle?

If you have the flat top receiver, then all you will need is:

1) the scope of your choice
2) rings that match the tube diameter of your scope (either 1" or 30mm for most scopes out there)
3) if you don't want to go with just rings, then you could go with a scope mount.

Check out the following links for ideas:

SWFA Mounts, Rings and Bases Burris Mounts

Riflescope Rings, Mounts, & Rifle Scope Bases SALE on Red Dot Sight Rifle scopes Accessories

If you look through those sites, they also have just about any scope you might want, at some very good prices, too.

Good luck, and anymore questions, feel free to ask. This is a very good group with lots of experience and info to share. Some even good, at times

Slo

Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Stone,

First, what kind of upper receiver do you have? Is it a Flat top or A2 with built-in handle?

If you have the flat top receiver, then all you will need is:

1) the scope of your choice
2) rings that match the tube diameter of your scope (either 1" or 30mm for most scopes out there)
3) if you don't want to go with just rings, then you could go with a scope mount.

Check out the following links for ideas:

SWFA Mounts, Rings and Bases Burris Mounts

Riflescope Rings, Mounts, & Rifle Scope Bases SALE on Red Dot Sight Rifle scopes Accessories

If you look through those sites, they also have just about any scope you might want, at some very good prices, too.

Good luck, and anymore questions, feel free to ask. This is a very good group with lots of experience and info to share. Some even good, at times

Slo
is rings ok or should i go with a mount its a flat top

Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
is rings ok or should i go with a mount its a flat top
Rings are fine. What gas block do you have on the front? Is it the A2 style, like in my pics there, or do you have flip up front sights?

The reason I ask, you want to make sure you get the right height rings for your scope, to be able to clear anything mounted on the front of your rifle, and also to give you a good cheek weld when you are sighting whatever it is you are aiming at. Typically, that will be either High or Extra high rings. But that could change with your scope and set up.

Slo

Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Rings are fine. What gas block do you have on the front? Is it the A2 style, like in my pics there, or do you have flip up front sights?

The reason I ask, you want to make sure you get the right height rings for your scope, to be able to clear anything mounted on the front of your rifle, and also to give you a good cheek weld when you are sighting whatever it is you are aiming at. Typically, that will be either High or Extra high rings. But that could change with your scope and set up.

Slo
it looks like your picture but the sight that is where the scope goes flips up

Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
it looks like your picture but the sight that is where the scope goes flips up
Ok, so from the sounds of it, you have a flip up REAR sight.

Some things to keep in mind here:

1) Do you want to be able to take the scope on and off the gun easily? If so, you'll need some kind of quick-disconnect mounts. Keep in mind, some quick disconnect RINGS, you'll have to Re-Zero your scope if you take it on and off.

2) Some quick disconnect mounts will hold ZERO, even if you take them on and off. But...they do cost more money. Check out LARUE scope mounts. Note- they aren't just rings, but a complete mounting system.

3) You could get a rail extension, to move your scope forward enough to CLEAR your rear sights. That way, if your scope fails, or is knocked off zero, or if your target is too close to use your scope, then you can use your front and rear sight. The rail extensions look like this:

Rail Extensions

4) OR you go with something like the Burris P.E.P.R. mount, that will move your scope forward, too. Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 1" Scope Mount

The P.E.P.R. mount is a very good system and will work well to allow you to still be able to use your flip up sights. Of course, that will depend on the length of the scope you buy, too.

Slo

Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I think he was refering to this $99 Vortex on the left hand side of the page. Here is a direct link Lon.

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

Jack
Nah, when Slo originally posted, the Nikon was there. Now it's gone . But I don't think it was a Monarch, I think that's just a name someone threw out in the thread somewheres down there.