need opinion on Olympic arms M-4 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need opinion on Olympic arms M-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Found out that Olympic uses 8620 steel, which is more than twice as strong as the mil-spec 4140, they are properly staked and the simple strongest part of their whole product.

Their uppers and lowers are Alcoa forgings, which has been a change from what they used to do and make them in house.

More to follow as I get more info.

JD
Thank you.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Since you have a mole, so to speak, can you give me a rundown on the materials they use? What type of steel do they make thier bolts and carriers out of? Do they MPI/HPT each item or just batch test? Anything else would help too.
Got some more information. These are basically quotes from the guy we know who works there, I didn't record him or have a court reporter there, so these are my typed words based on his responses. Best I could do, but I hope it's good enough.

Currently Olympic is weak on any type of QA testing other than checking headspace and test firing for function. The weapons work when they leave the shop and we do get feedback on returns and what kinds of things are being seen. The weapons are assembled by cheap labor.

Olympic isn't paying top dollar for AR Masters to hand fit each piece, it's a gun production facility and we have a warranty in place for our customers in case something goes wrong, which is about the same for every other brand out there that is producing production style guns.

Keep in mind that many AR brands make nothing, they buy all the parts and put them together. This does not mean they are bad guns but it does mean that a lot of different brands are all the same parts.

As for MPI/HRT, mjkeat helped me with a link to explain some military specs which I showed our friend and this was basically his response:

I am cogizant of this document and it's contents but be advised that the few manufactures who sell to the government such as colt's defense line, sabre defence, FN, etc. do not perform these pressure tests and magnetic particle inspections on every barrel/bolt assembly. A percentage of a production lot are tested and then stored as part of the record. If this test procedure were applied to every assembly you would be paying 3-4 times as much for it.

Be very careful about what you assume is taking place in the manufacturing world.

So there you have it. The best parts are in the bolt and carrier, which are very good. The assembly is being done by cheap labor, which is disappointing, but they have a warranty.

The receivers are still good if you can get a good price on them for a build, but it would appear that your money could be better spent IF you can't find a deal on a pre-assembled Olympic sitting on a shelf somewhere.

It's been a couple of years since I have been hands on with more than just my own Olympic weapons. Most of the clients now are buying full uppers and stripped lowers for us to "build", so my cross section of the market is a bit higher, but my hands on knowledge of complete weapons, like in the case of Olympic, has gone down because of it.

Hope that helps.

JD

Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you again.

Im going to research the batch testing/each part testing thing. There are manufacturers claiming that thay test each bolt/barrel.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

if your concerned about MPI inspections just strip the barrel out and take it the carrier and bolt to a local automotive shop that does magnafluxing its the same process as what they use to inspect gun parts. magnaflux is another word for MPI. its common in the auto repair and engine building community to check for hairline cracks. or inner cracks in motor parts. its not THAT expensive and relatively quick.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...