need opinion on Olympic arms M-4 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need opinion on Olympic arms M-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well that's fair. I can't fault you for that.

Olympic is just down the road from me. We have a guy who works there full time who also does side projects for the shop and he freely admits there was a time when they weren't doing a good job with their Q/A.

Management had a shake up a few years ago, like 6 or more, and he says that the machinists and assemblers have a monthly meeting where they hear about percentages of returns and are given samples of products that come back to help bring what they do full circle.

Their quality control has come a long way from where they used to be. If they have failures like you say they are, perhaps they haven't come far enough?

I don't own a complete Olympic model anymore, but I do have two of their combination upper and lower receivers that have been built up. When I did have a full blown Olympic, it was my first one, I never had any issues, but I did change out the fore end and tune the trigger as it came right out of the box.
Since you have a mole, so to speak, can you give me a rundown on the materials they use? What type of steel do they make thier bolts and carriers out of? Do they MPI/HPT each item or just batch test? Anything else would help too.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Since you have a mole, so to speak, can you give me a rundown on the materials they use? What type of steel do they make thier bolts and carriers out of? Do they MPI/HPT each item or just batch test? Anything else would help too.
Haven't talked to the guy in months, but I can find out for you. I'll get back to you with what I find. Post it here or in one of the other Oly threads as they pop up.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Haven't talked to the guy in months, but I can find out for you. I'll get back to you with what I find. Post it here or in one of the other Oly threads as they pop up.
Thank you very much.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

went down to buy some 22lr with some coupons that were about to expire. the local dealer i buy a lot of my new guns from had a recent manufacture Olympic Arms M4A2. it did have M4 cuts, the gas key was not staked, the hammer trigger and bolt catch appeared to be mim but i didnt have a magnet to check for sure. the inner parts didnt have the feel of machined parts. fit and finish very good. trigger had 0 creep and was nice and crisp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
went down to buy some 22lr with some coupons that were about to expire. the local dealer i buy a lot of my new guns from had a recent manufacture Olympic Arms M4A2. it did have M4 cuts, the gas key was not staked, the hammer trigger and bolt catch appeared to be mim but i didnt have a magnet to check for sure. the inner parts didnt have the feel of machined parts. fit and finish very good. trigger had 0 creep and was nice and crisp.
From what Ive heard about MIM parts is that they aren't all that bad if tested properly. LMT went to a MIM gas key. The story is that they put an ungodly amount of testing in before releasing it for mass consumption though.

The lack of staking is a turn off though.

How much were they asking for it?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
From what Ive heard about MIM parts is that they aren't all that bad if tested properly. LMT went to a MIM gas key. The story is that they put an ungodly amount of testing in before releasing it for mass consumption though.

The lack of staking is a turn off though.

How much were they asking for it?

Yeah mim can be just as sturdy as machined parts if done correctly. Not saying they were they just didn't feel like machined parts. They were asking 1k with hardcase. I think it was a bit high for a m4a2 fixed carrying handle.

They usually have decent prices and bend over backwards to sell stuff and special order lots of stuff for me. So I generally give them first dibs when I'm looking for a new firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-26-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yeah mim can be just as sturdy as machined parts if done correctly. Not saying they were they just didn't feel like machined parts. They were asking 1k with hardcase. I think it was a bit high for a m4a2 fixed carrying handle.

They usually have decent prices and bend over backwards to sell stuff and special order lots of stuff for me. So I generally give them first dibs when I'm looking for a new firearm.
Sounds like a nice shop.

Granted the BCM doesnt come w/ a carry handle but it can be had w/ MOE hand guard and mid length gas system for around $850. Plus Im a RDS and soft case kinda guy.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #28

Liked 1038 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

These "Should I buy XXX" threads are hard on all of us since we all have our biases. We all get hurt when someone rags on what we bought. I've heard the stories about Oly but have seen nothing first hand. Much of this stuff is rehashed for years on the net so I don't know what to believe. The M4 chart ranks them low but that data is from years ago.

I really don't know what Oly gives you today but if JD stands behind Oly I'm sure not going to disagree. I read his guarantee in the other thread and that's an incredible offer. JD is a stand up guy and his word means a lot to me. If he says Oly is good then it's good. I think if you want a deal on a rifle off the rack, Oly will give you good quality at that price point and better than average accuracy. A little more money and of course you would look at what the competition brings to the table.

I guess where I'm coming from is I research everything I buy, maybe over research. I stew over it, I drag my feet, I read, I reread. I have to get all my ducks in a row. To others it would be a painful process but that's how I build a PC or an AR. I want the best parts for the money. I want to be involved in the design. So when I see a new thread about buying a new AR off the rack, I think "No, build it yourself, research every part, take the time to research, take the time to shop for sales, make sure every part is what you want, pay a few bucks more to make sure every part is to spec."

But we're all different and do things our way. With new people coming here asking what do I buy, you have to try to size them up. Not easy to do especially if they haven't put more thought in it than "ARs are cool, I want one, what do I buy". And honestly we don't need all our ARs to be combat ready, not every one. Most of us will end up with more than one AR so somewhere down the road it's not bad to have one that meets all the specs. The others can be reliable daily drivers bought at a good price. The answer is different for each one of us. If each of us had say $750 to buy an AR today, we'd all come in tonight reporting something different from the all rest.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You make a good point about dated material Quentin. True not every AR we own needs to be combat ready. Purchasing a $400 DelTon kit is one thing. Buying a $800-$1k rifle is another. I'm always up for saving some money but not at the expense of durability and reliability.

My focus (reason for posting in this thread) is to maybe weed out some of the old from the new.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Found out that Olympic uses 8620 steel, which is more than twice as strong as the mil-spec 4140, they are properly staked and the simple strongest part of their whole product.

Their uppers and lowers are Alcoa forgings, which has been a change from what they used to do and make them in house.

More to follow as I get more info.

JD