need opinion on Olympic arms M-4 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

need opinion on Olympic arms M-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
people have no problem buying glock and taurus products. hard for me to come with two companies with more qc problems and checkered histories than thoe two...

what matters is what a company is doing now. what happened 10 years ago doesnt matter if they arent doing what they were doing back then.

my OA items is a 45acp upper and a 45acp mag for the AR15 of recent manufacture. the upper is almost 20 years old and is very high quality works very very well and deadly accurate. the new mag i got for it is very high quality and appears to be well designed and rugged.

i cant think of one gun cmpany that hasnt had qc issues at some point. i think its like anything else. buyer beware. do your research.
But what about materials used? Do they stake? FA or SA BCG? Do they torque properly? There site doesnt address any of these things?

OA is in the price range of some great rifles w/ proven track records and great cust. service.

Im just trying to understand why Id want to spend my money on an OA over say a BCM.

I will say Ive been eyeing their pistol calibor magazines.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #12

mjkeat I would have to agree on the bias part if the people who are employees are on there but the vast majority of people there dont work for OLY, several of the Oly people are there including the president and he is just as plain as the next guy. We just arent snobbrandedx there. If you will look at it you will find that alot of guys build and they arent always using Oly parts so i will have to say bias, not even close to some of the other forums around here.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
mjkeat I would have to agree on the bias part if the people who are employees are on there but the vast majority of people there dont work for OLY, several of the Oly people are there including the president and he is just as plain as the next guy. We just arent snobbrandedx there. If you will look at it you will find that alot of guys build and they arent always using Oly parts so i will have to say bias, not even close to some of the other forums around here.
Ill check it out.

What other sites are snobby? The ones where they use their ARs as a tool for their work?

My thinking comes from testimonial if read over the years. Granted it doesn't apply to every rifle that leaves their factory. I however play the percentages. I want to know that the rifle I ordered is going to be GTG when it hits my FFL. The feedback from these carbine courses doesn't help my opinion either. When the largest percentage of weapons failures come from a certain couple of manufacturers its a manufacturing problem. I tend to steer clear of that brand.

I guess I'm looking for someone to prove me wrong. Honestly I have my eyes on a pistol caliber OA. I really like the mags thy've come out w/. I just cant bring myself to take the leap because of their bad reviews.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #14

I have an Oly plinker that I converted to a flat top , and a K8 mag upper. The customer service at Oly has treated me well the time I used it for a warranty bolt. That has been the only problem after at least 3000 rounds throught it. You can believe all the negative if you wish. Any company that has a lifetime warranty,must know how to build them. Else they would be out of business.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilquiz View Post
I have an Oly plinker that I converted to a flat top , and a K8 mag upper. The customer service at Oly has treated me well the time I used it for a warranty bolt. That has been the only problem after at least 3000 rounds throught it. You can believe all the negative if you wish. Any company that has a lifetime warranty,must know how to build them. Else they would be out of business.
What happened w/ the bolt?

In what way did the 3k rounds leave the barrel? In a rapid manor over a weekend, over 4 years?

My way of looking at it is, if its true its not negative.

A lifetime warranty isn't always a sign of a quality product.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What happened w/ the bolt?

In what way did the 3k rounds leave the barrel? In a rapid manor over a weekend, over 4 years?

My way of looking at it is, if its true its not negative.

A lifetime warranty isn't always a sign of a quality product.
What is with the Oly hate MJ?

I know you pimp BCM in every thread but this is the first I have seen you go after a specific product like this.

Olympic had problems with growth and their quality suffered, but that has been YEARS ago. They have sense put out a much better quality controlled product and their warranty is every bit as good as LaRue's, so I am curious as to why all the hate??

Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
What is with the Oly hate MJ?

I know you pimp BCM in every thread but this is the first I have seen you go after a specific product like this.

Olympic had problems with growth and their quality suffered, but that has been YEARS ago. They have sense put out a much better quality controlled product and their warranty is every bit as good as LaRue's, so I am curious as to why all the hate??
I'm not hating on OA. I'm trying to dispel the info I've come across. Like I stated earlier I would like to get my hands on one of their pistol cal ARs. I'm just doing research and asking the questions Id like answered.

I completely understand growing pains. I have a son that turns 3 next month. He drives me nuts sometimes.

I hear/read things that lead me to think OA isn't a good place to spend my money. I understand they are quality as in they make a good range weapon, but... When I read AARs from carbine classes there are, more often than not, reports of OA going down in the early stages closely followed by BM. Granted there is the occasional Colt or BCM thrown in that category. But the percentages always seemed to be staked against OA. I most likely would never run a pistol cal in a carbine class but when the prices are similar b/w brands I want the best.

I bring up BCM so often as an option because they are top shelf yet have mid tier prices. Often times they are cheaper than OAs, BMs, and others.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-25-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
But what about materials used? Do they stake? FA or SA BCG? Do they torque properly? There site doesnt address any of these things?

OA is in the price range of some great rifles w/ proven track records and great cust. service.

Im just trying to understand why Id want to spend my money on an OA over say a BCM.

I will say Ive been eyeing their pistol calibor magazines.
i cant comment on that. but i think all the fretting about staking and such is a red herring. most companies dont sell semi auto with full auto cut for the BC and it really doesnt matter unless your putting in some funky aftermarket piston conversion. might run into carrier tilt issues.

with proper inspection any of the major makers AR15s will run just fine. inspecting your AR should be done everytime its cleaned. even milspec govt issue properly torqued and staked gaskeys can work loose over time or break. its almost never an issue if the user is keeping a close eye on maintenence.

i bought my wife the cheapest m4 dpms makes and she has put several thousand rounds thru it with no issues no ftf fte stovepipes nothing. i got it for her cuz she wanted it she picked it out. its not the rifle i would have chosen but she loves it. the bolt is MPI and the gaskey appears to be staked correctly and its the cheapest rifle dpms makes.

i would recomend going and taking a peek at one for yourself at a local dealer or gunshow and see if the quality is right for you. if you want all those features go for it nothing wrong with it. im not a fan or detractor of OA i dont have one of their complete rifles just an upper and a mag. but ive never seen or heard of any particular issues with their quality or rifles.

personally i buy most of my spare AR parts from dpms. my main AR15 is mostly from RRA with the exception of barrel and upper reciever. the barrel is from an M16A1 the upper reciever is a dpms. the lower is RRA internals from dpms. im prolly going to get the rra 2 stage trigger for it at some point. ive got an rra full upper in 458 socom. i also want at some point a A2 20" upper and possibly a 300blackout upper if it has a good first few years.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well that's fair. I can't fault you for that.

Olympic is just down the road from me. We have a guy who works there full time who also does side projects for the shop and he freely admits there was a time when they weren't doing a good job with their Q/A.

Management had a shake up a few years ago, like 6 or more, and he says that the machinists and assemblers have a monthly meeting where they hear about percentages of returns and are given samples of products that come back to help bring what they do full circle.

Their quality control has come a long way from where they used to be. If they have failures like you say they are, perhaps they haven't come far enough?

I don't own a complete Olympic model anymore, but I do have two of their combination upper and lower receivers that have been built up. When I did have a full blown Olympic, it was my first one, I never had any issues, but I did change out the fore end and tune the trigger as it came right out of the box.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i cant comment on that. but i think all the fretting about staking and such is a red herring. most companies dont sell semi auto with full auto cut for the BC and it really doesnt matter unless your putting in some funky aftermarket piston conversion. might run into carrier tilt issues.

with proper inspection any of the major makers AR15s will run just fine. inspecting your AR should be done everytime its cleaned. even milspec govt issue properly torqued and staked gaskeys can work loose over time or break. its almost never an issue if the user is keeping a close eye on maintenence.

i bought my wife the cheapest m4 dpms makes and she has put several thousand rounds thru it with no issues no ftf fte stovepipes nothing. i got it for her cuz she wanted it she picked it out. its not the rifle i would have chosen but she loves it. the bolt is MPI and the gaskey appears to be staked correctly and its the cheapest rifle dpms makes.

i would recomend going and taking a peek at one for yourself at a local dealer or gunshow and see if the quality is right for you. if you want all those features go for it nothing wrong with it. im not a fan or detractor of OA i dont have one of their complete rifles just an upper and a mag. but ive never seen or heard of any particular issues with their quality or rifles.

personally i buy most of my spare AR parts from dpms. my main AR15 is mostly from RRA with the exception of barrel and upper reciever. the barrel is from an M16A1 the upper reciever is a dpms. the lower is RRA internals from dpms. im prolly going to get the rra 2 stage trigger for it at some point. ive got an rra full upper in 458 socom. i also want at some point a A2 20" upper and possibly a 300blackout upper if it has a good first few years.
I'm not arguing their place on the range. What I'm trying to correct is their reputation as a high volume, hard use rifle. If I decide to bang 2k through the thing one weekend will I still have a functioning rifle? Or do I pass it up for a comparable BCM for the same price?

As a possible customer Id like to go into it w/o hesitation. Ars are not cheap.