need opinion on Olympic arms M-4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need opinion on Olympic arms M-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default need opinion on Olympic arms M-4

anyone have any experience with Olympic Arms m-4 or ar platforms? Im considering one .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got back from the range with my OA GI model. It was the first trip to the range with it. I have read lots of negatives on here and a few positives about OA.

I put 100 rounds through it in 4 different magazines. It did not fail once. It performed flawlessly. After adjusting the sights a little, I was able to regularly hit pop cans and water bottles at 100 yards.

I like to shoot and like to think that this rifle will be great to have for home defense in addition to my other defense items.

I can't imagine how a $1,500 AR would perform any better than what I experienced today. Maybe I don't have the bragging rights to the "Name" but it still did exactly what I expected it to do.

I don't need a "battle rifle for the Zombie hoards". I would not hesitate to purchase another Olympic Arms rifle.

LeatherMarshmallow

Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

They sure make a nice barrel. I put one on my SUR build and love it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathermarshmallow View Post
I just got back from the range with my OA GI model. It was the first trip to the range with it. I have read lots of negatives on here and a few positives about OA.

I put 100 rounds through it in 4 different magazines. It did not fail once. It performed flawlessly. After adjusting the sights a little, I was able to regularly hit pop cans and water bottles at 100 yards.

I like to shoot and like to think that this rifle will be great to have for home defense in addition to my other defense items.

I can't imagine how a $1,500 AR would perform any better than what I experienced today. Maybe I don't have the bragging rights to the "Name" but it still did exactly what I expected it to do.

I don't need a "battle rifle for the Zombie hoards". I would not hesitate to purchase another Olympic Arms rifle.

LeatherMarshmallow
If you don't mind how much is the OA cost that you're considering?

It isn't about bragging rights. Often times you can get a much better rifle for the same price as some charge for their sub par products. I can spend x amount on x rifle that will make a great plinker or spend a little more for something capable of much more. To me its a simple fact of economics.

I would evaluate your needs and budget then research.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-22-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think you might find this thread of interest. It will give you a good idea of what is myth and what is fact out there about this topic.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/i-am-considering-purchasing-olympic-ar-good-still-sub-par-21667/

JD

Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #6

OLY's are good guns and dont let anyone tell you different. You hear all kinds of bad stuff on several other forums which i wont name. funny thing is ive been reading some negative posts about the ones they swear by so dont believe what they say. A very nice forum to take a look at is OA2.org its a forum of Oly owners and one that you can talk to the people at Olympic and i, no talking about Joe who just happens to sweep the floor. good luck and enjoy it.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dillinger, thanks, that thread answered a lot of my concerns.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Dillinger, thanks, that thread answered a lot of my concerns.
Glad to be of service. Olympic had some problems back in the day, but they have long since righted the ship and have been producing good quality stuff.

I own a couple myself.

JD

Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
OLY's are good guns and dont let anyone tell you different. You hear all kinds of bad stuff on several other forums which i wont name. funny thing is ive been reading some negative posts about the ones they swear by so dont believe what they say. A very nice forum to take a look at is OA2.org its a forum of Oly owners and one that you can talk to the people at Olympic and i, no talking about Joe who just happens to sweep the floor. good luck and enjoy it.
Not to argue but wouldn't you think the word of OA employees would be biased?

----

I'm having a hard time grasping this on an economical level. Maybe someone can answer this question for me.

Why would anyone spend the same amount of money on something w/ a checkered background and made of lesser quality material/parts over something of known higher quality?

MSRP on their M4 style rifle is over $1200. Ive seen it listed for around $850. I can purchase a BCM for $4 more. The BCM wont need any work out of the box.

Am I not looking in the right places when comparing prices?

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Why would anyone spend the same amount of money on something w/ a checkered background and made of lesser quality material/parts over something of known higher quality?

people have no problem buying glock and taurus products. hard for me to come with two companies with more qc problems and checkered histories than thoe two...

what matters is what a company is doing now. what happened 10 years ago doesnt matter if they arent doing what they were doing back then.

my OA items is a 45acp upper and a 45acp mag for the AR15 of recent manufacture. the upper is almost 20 years old and is very high quality works very very well and deadly accurate. the new mag i got for it is very high quality and appears to be well designed and rugged.

i cant think of one gun cmpany that hasnt had qc issues at some point. i think its like anything else. buyer beware. do your research.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...