Need input on a decent BCG
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need input on a decent BCG

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Default Need input on a decent BCG

Hey there everyone! I'm interested in getting your input on a bolt carrier group. I want decent quality without spending too much. I was looking into either:

Fail Zero's BCG
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27448/Product/AR-15-BOLT-CARRIER-GROUP

DPMS Phosphate Coated BCG
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR117-7.html?ingb=Y

Can you guys recommend me which to get? Or another BCG of equal or lesser price?

__________________
PeeceKeeper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

DPMS lol. Do yourself a favor and forget they even exist. Daniel Defense - $150 +/-, BCM - $139, Colt - $157+/-, Spikes $120 +/-, Palmetto State - $110 +/-. All much better and come from companies that actually deserve peoples business.

I have had a couple coated BCGs and prefer a normal mil-spec version. The coating might save you a couple seconds of cleaning and that's about it.

__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Todd_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
DPMS lol. Do yourself a favor and forget they even exist. Daniel Defense - $150 +/-, BCM - $139, Colt - $157+/-, Spikes $120 +/-, Palmetto State - $110 +/-. All much better and come from companies that actually deserve peoples business.

I have had a couple coated BCGs and prefer a normal mil-spec version. The coating might save you a couple seconds of cleaning and that's about it.
QFT.

Any of the above are going to work well for you. Special coatings make cleaning a tad easier, but otherwise there isn't a difference. I run a PSA upper with matching BCG. Spikes, DD, Colt, BCM, all good names with great products. All should have the gas keys properly staked as well.
__________________

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Todd_ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 35
Default

So DPMS is out of the question lol what's your take on Fail Zero?

__________________
PeeceKeeper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Todd_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeceKeeper
So DPMS is out of the question lol what's your take on Fail Zero?
No experience with them. Have heard from guys that do, once again it's simply for ease of cleaning. Life isn't measurably longer, still have to lube it and clean it, it's just slightly easier to clean. With so many quality BCGs to be had for $110-150, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my $0.02 based on reviews I have read.
__________________

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Todd_ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,444
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

BCM
LMT
COLT
NOVESKE
LARUE
KNIGHTS ARM
DANIEL DEFENCE
RANIER ARMS
SPIKES
PALMETTO STATE

Look for a full auto carrier
Hp high pressure testing
Mp magnetic partical inspected
Shoot peened bolt
Properly staked gas keys
Carpenter 158 steel

Special coatings and chrome are nice but really unecessary.
If you are building a piston system just make sure your bcg is compatible.

That is all.

__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 258
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
BCM
LMT
NOVESKE
LARUE
KNIGHTS ARM
DANIEL DEFENCE
RANIER ARMS
SPIKES
PALMETTO STATE

Look for a full auto carrier
Hp high pressure testing
Mp magnetic partical inspected
Shoot peened bolt
Properly staked gas keys
Carpenter 158 steel

Special coatings and chrome are nice but really unecessary.
If you are building a piston system just make sure your bcg is compatible.

That is all.
Sounds like BCM lol bout to order 2
__________________
jasonlarue1013 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,427
Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeceKeeper
So DPMS is out of the question lol what's your take on Fail Zero?
Not really worth the extra cash.
__________________
MikeJK is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,518
Liked 979 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
BCM
LMT
COLT
NOVESKE
LARUE
KNIGHTS ARM
DANIEL DEFENCE
RANIER ARMS
SPIKES
PALMETTO STATE

Look for a full auto carrier
Hp high pressure testing
Mp magnetic partical inspected
Shoot peened bolt
Properly staked gas keys
Carpenter 158 steel

Special coatings and chrome are nice but really unecessary.
If you are building a piston system just make sure your bcg is compatible.

That is all.
That pretty much sums it up. One caveat, Knights is high quality but incompatible with a standard barrel extension. Not likely to stumble across one but just in case someone does...
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,444
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That pretty much sums it up. One caveat, Knights is high quality but incompatible with a standard barrel extension. Not likely to stumble across one but just in case someone does...
Great Catch! Didn't know that!
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a decent priced 308 bigbrum55 The Club House 7 10-21-2011 09:38 PM
looking for a decent rangefinder maxdemers1 Hunting Forum 3 08-31-2011 02:03 AM
Tell me if I made some decent purchases. eborden1122 Semi-Auto Handguns 10 02-12-2011 04:17 PM
Need help finding a decent 7.62 39 Pjj342 AK & SKS Discussion 2 12-27-2010 08:00 AM
Px4 Beretta a decent gun? tallguy130 General Handgun Discussion 8 07-24-2009 03:15 AM