Need help upgrading my Bushmaster with a new safety and new rear sight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help upgrading my Bushmaster with a new safety and new rear sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help upgrading my Bushmaster with a new safety and new rear sight

Hey guys,
So here is the deal, I want to add a new safety and a new rear sight to my old bushmaster.

DPMS Oversized Safety Selector AR-15 Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

and

DPMS Rear Sight Aperture AR-15 A2 Matte - MidwayUSA

The above image isn't my Bushmaster, but it looks like the closest thing I can find online. The rear sight is not a traditional AR-15 rear sight. There is no nob or anything.

Anyone familiar with swapping out safeties and/or the rear sight?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Flint,

To begin with are you sure you want a safety selector that protrudes that far out on the side of the receiver. It is my concern that it could easily catch on garments or other items and possibly be flipped off unexpectedly creating a safety issue. There are others that do not stick out quite as far and are considerably safer in my opinion. Like the STAR SELECTOR for example. I believe you can see one in the Rock River Arms Catalog. As far as you sight question it would be best to see some pictures. Your comment about no Knob kind of threw me on what type sight you actually have. Could be the older A-1 type of sight? I responded since I have reviewed your question for several days and noticed you had received no responses. If I can help let me know!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

damn i missed this one gonne need pics of your rifle regarding the rear sight.

the safety you have to remove the trigger and disconnector and the pistol grip. the pistol grip holds a spring and detent that prevents the safety from coming loose.

i agree with sniper03 extended isnt a terribly good idea on a AR15 for the same reasons he stated.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
damn i missed this one gonne need pics of your rifle regarding the rear sight.

the safety you have to remove the trigger and disconnector and the pistol grip. the pistol grip holds a spring and detent that prevents the safety from coming loose.

i agree with sniper03 extended isnt a terribly good idea on a AR15 for the same reasons he stated.
I dont know if this is something on different rifles, but with my build, only removing the handle will get the spring out, then a little movement of the disconnector will let the safety come right out. Didnt have to remove anything but the handle.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #5

Liked 1030 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

As far as the sight, you might look at Brownell's AR build videos. I know they take apart and put together an A2 style sight and the windage part should be about the same as your A1. Just ignore the elevation parts.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
I dont know if this is something on different rifles, but with my build, only removing the handle will get the spring out, then a little movement of the disconnector will let the safety come right out. Didnt have to remove anything but the handle.
your right just the pistol grip. i remove the trigger and disconector before i remove the safety when i do a deep cleaning but yeah you dont have to remove the trigger to get the safety out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #7

I'll futz with it tomorrow night because I am out of town.

So I'll get back to everyone who was good enough to respond.

I think it's an older style sight. Early 90's maybe?

I'll get back to you guys.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintandSteel View Post
...I think it's an older style sight. Early 90's maybe?

I'll get back to you guys.

The A1 sight like yours goes back to the '60s... the A2 sight with the elevation wheeel came out in the early '80s when the M16A2 was introduced.

From your pictures it looks like you want to put A2 apertures in your A1 sight. Don't know if it'll fit so make sure.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #9

You guys are awesome, great advice all around.

But I am going to skip this upgrade for now. It's one of those things where it's not necessary for the time being. Going to invest in some upgraded magazines before I get a new rear sight/safety. Of course it's more of a financial decision.

A man's gotta prioritize.

Thanks again guys, this forum is GREAT.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #10

Good move Flint. I really don't see much to gain from these upgrades. You might want to look through other AR build threads for upgrades that strike your fancy.

And like you say buying new magazines always is a good idea. And ammo, then off to the range...

ETA:

Just noticed you're from NY, is this a preban AR? Seems to have the "evil" features that NY still bans. And buying new standard capacity magazines will be a problem. You'll be limited to 10 rounds, right? Or buy preban mags too.

______

Last edited by Quentin; 04-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.