Need help troubleshooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help troubleshooting

Alright I have a problem with the AR-15 I built so I'm going to try to describe the problem and hopefully someone can help me out.

I got the headspace checked and it was fine so I took it home and fired it. It fired fine, the bolt came about 3/4 of the way back but right before it ejected the shell it got stuck in that position. I hit the forward assist and the empty cartridge went back into the chamber and got stuck. I tried pulling the charging handle but the bolt only moved about half an inch. I had to take the upper off and then put my cleaning rod down my barrel and into the empty cartridge and then tap it with a hammer to get it dislodged. Then I put it back together, put a full magazine in it, chambered a few rounds and ejected them. No problems. It functioned just like it was supposed to. The only problems I have is with a fired cartridge. Does anyone know what's wrong? Any help will be very appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSe63xy View Post
Alright I have a problem with the AR-15 I built so I'm going to try to describe the problem and hopefully someone can help me out.

I got the headspace checked and it was fine so I took it home and fired it. It fired fine, the bolt came about 3/4 of the way back but right before it ejected the shell it got stuck in that position. I hit the forward assist and the empty cartridge went back into the chamber and got stuck. I tried pulling the charging handle but the bolt only moved about half an inch. I had to take the upper off and then put my cleaning rod down my barrel and into the empty cartridge and then tap it with a hammer to get it dislodged. Then I put it back together, put a full magazine in it, chambered a few rounds and ejected them. No problems. It functioned just like it was supposed to. The only problems I have is with a fired cartridge. Does anyone know what's wrong? Any help will be very appreciated.
Are you using brass or steel cased ammo? How many rounds fired before the problem started? Have you used steel cased ammo with any polymer coating and switched to brass without a thorough chamber cleaning? Have you checked the extractor for damage?

Sorry about all the questions but they may be helpful for others that come along...a picture of the fired cartridge, the BCG and the bolt itself would be helpful too.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you running the correct buffer and spring for the installed stock?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #4

i have encountered this problem myself it was wolf steel ammo and for some reason it didnt want to come out i finally got tired and just pulled the chargeing handl back as hard as i could the chamber pop opened and hte empty round flew thats the only thing i can think of if you cycled the gun by hand witch im sure you did and it functioned right then it is probably your ammo but i cant say for sure there are many people on this website that know alot more about these sort of things than i do i would suggest trying every option they tell you befor decideing to heeman the charging handle

Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #5

I used some russian steel cased ammo but I also used some brass cased ammo, not sure what brand. I've never heard of polymer coated ammo so I don't think I did that. The extractor looks fine, as does the spent case. I'll try to get some pictures up sometime tonight. Thanks for all the help!

I'm using the buffer and spring that came with the stock.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5651 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

steel cased ammo is generally polymer coated. do not mix brass and steel cased ammo. clean the chamber thoroughly before switching between them. personally i dont shoot any steelcased ammo through my ar's. tried it once and had stuck case issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Big,

Some of the manufacturers of the steel cased ammunition in the past have coated the casings with a varnish that when the rifle is fired heats up then cools and sticks to the chamber. It is a bear to get out but must be cleaned out. And also the charging handle gets harder and harder to pull to get the bolt open. That is usually a sign. You mentioned you head spaced the rifle. I am assuming this was prior to all of your problems. A polymer coated bullet can eventually cause a problem in this area also. I know ammo is at a premium. But you wouldn't run 47 octane gas in a 944 Turbo Porsche either. There is some good quality military surplus ammunition out there usually found a a gun show for example but find a reputable dealer!

Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #8

Yeah but the first round fired was brass cased and it did the same thing. Also it comes out of the chamber after it's fired, so it's not actually stuck in there until I push the forward assist.

Last edited by BigSe63xy; 11-25-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

BIG,

There are other things that can cause this. Is it a kit gun? Have you tried a bolt carrier out of another AR. Using your same bolt regarding head space. Could be a tolerance problem. Also what stock spring and or screw if a fixed stock? Hard to analyze by forum. If I can help please PM me.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #10

Thanks for your help guys. I pretty much have it working. I lubed the hell out if last night and I was able to shoot half a mag today with no problems but then the bolt got stuck all the way to the rear. But when that happened I realized I didn't lube the buffer tube so I took it back home and lubed it up really well and I'm going to try it again tomorrow. Wish me luck