Need Help...Trigger issues, safety...??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need Help...Trigger issues, safety...??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help...Trigger issues, safety...??

Hello all,

I am still fairly new to the AR world, anyway. I broke down the gun for cleaning yesterday. Popped the pins, took the upper off. I cleaned everything, when I put the gun back together - the trigger and safety would not work?

DId I forget a step or something? I took it apart over and over trying to figure out the problem. THe gun is on fire, though the trigger feels like it is on safety. I can not get the safety to switch off of fire either.

Any info would be great

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #2

You mean you cant move the selector switch between safe and fire?

The gun is on fire but you cant pull the trigger?

I need more input...

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you pull the trigger while the upper was off & forget to reset the hammer? Try re field stripping while making sure the hammer is in cocked position, with selector set on safe. It SHOULD work ok while the upper is off/tilted up.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
You mean you cant move the selector switch between safe and fire?

The gun is on fire but you cant pull the trigger?

I need more input...

Yes, I can not move the selector switch between safe and fire, with the upper -off or on, it is stuck. Also, the gun is on fire, trigger will not pull.

The trigger is set.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What position is the hammer in? Is it forward or in cocked position?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
What position is the hammer in? Is it forward or in cocked position?
Cocked position

Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #7

Most perplexing.....you may have to remove the grip and check your detent spring. If this is not in the lower correctly, it may get stuck in a position. I also have to wonder if you did not lose a counter spring in your trigger assembly.
Another thing is, did you get a piece of something between your trigger and the fire selector?

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)