Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help with stock for new AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need help with stock for new AR

Okay, I just recently ordered a Larue Tactical 12 inch OBR...
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-pod-prone-optimization-device

The gun comes equipped with the Magpul CTR stock which I really like because I would most likely end up placing a Magpul cheek RISR on it (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG326/31) and probably the Larue Tactical POD picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-pod-prone-optimization-device) This would allow me to place a stand on the back of the gun so I can have a steady rest when I want it. Something along the lines of the picture on the Larue POD link.

Now I had recently purchased a Magpul UBR stock for the AR that I am using right now, and I also really like it. Although it doesn't have the availability to place the picatinny rail on the stock or a cheek riser on it. It was a lot more expensive and I would feel kind of wasteful if I didn't use it on my Larue when it comes in.

The AR I have now is a Colt LE6940 and I am returning it to all stock. I got the Larue 12 inch because I wanted a shorter and more accurate gun that I can put my AAC M4-2000 suppressor on and the gun wont be extremely long, because I swing it around in my truck a lot. So if anyone could help me with what stock I should use, or the pros and cons of both, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Well you like the CTR and it's very much like the Rogers superstock that comes with many new Colts. Why not borrow the CTR you have and try it out on the Colt? I've tested the CTR, STR, ACS, M4, A2, A1 and a few others but keep coming back to the CTR which I now have on all three of my ARs. Very hard to beat IMO.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

First off, GRATZ on a really nice stick! Color me jealous!

Secondly, I'm sorry but it seems to be counter-intuitive to me to put a precision type stock on an SBR. I understand the want for a SBR especially since you want to put a can on it. but its not really a precision build so why do you want invest $200 in a LaRue POD and a Monopod on the back or a CTR?

The greatest asset of a CTR is its lightweight, the $20 riser is a pretty cost effect way to add adjustibility for your check weld. But adding all those other parts.... seems like it'd just be better to get a PRS instead of modding the crap out of a CTR.

The UBR is a heavy beast, but with a fat barrel (the obr's barrel is a heavy profile right?) and a can on your SBR will make it front heavy, so the UBR should provide better balance for your SBR, despite its overall weight.

I don't think i've ever seen an SBR with a bipod on the front, so why spend the added dough to add a monopod in the back? SBR's aren't really a precision oriented build. I think that you'd be better served with a UBR, and forgoing the CTR+RISR+POD+MONOPOD.

Also the STR is much like a CTR with a better check weld, and I have seen very cheap mod to add a rail section in the back of the STR for a monopod, but again, doesn't seem like a mod I'd consider doing.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 11-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well you like the CTR and it's very much like the Rogers superstock that comes with many new Colts. Why not borrow the CTR you have and try it out on the Colt? I've tested the CTR, STR, ACS, M4, A2, A1 and a few others but keep coming back to the CTR which I now have on all three of my ARs. Very hard to beat IMO.
So, in your opinion CTR > STR? I need to try an STR out.......

Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

To me the CTR is just a modified locking MOE stock .
Wish they had a cheek riser for the ACS-L

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
First off, GRATZ on a really nice stick! Color me jealous!

Secondly, I'm sorry but it seems to be counter-intuitive to me to put a precision type stock on an SBR. I understand the want for a SBR especially since you want to put a can on it. but its not really a precision build so why do you want invest $200 in a LaRue POD and a Monopod on the back or a CTR?

The greatest asset of a CTR is its lightweight, the $20 riser is a pretty cost effect way to add adjustibility for your check weld. But adding all those other parts.... seems like it'd just be better to get a PRS instead of modding the crap out of a CTR.

The UBR is a heavy beast, but with a fat barrel (the obr's barrel is a heavy profile right?) and a can on your SBR will make it front heavy, so the UBR should provide better balance for your SBR, despite its overall weight.

I don't think i've ever seen an SBR with a bipod on the front, so why spend the added dough to add a monopod in the back? SBR's aren't really a precision oriented build. I think that you'd be better served with a UBR, and forgoing the CTR+RISR+POD+MONOPOD.

Also the STR is much like a CTR with a better check weld, and I have seen very cheap mod to add a rail section in the back of the STR for a monopod, but again, doesn't seem like a mod I'd consider doing.
Yea you have a good point about the POD on the back of the gun. The larue tactical is actually a pretty precise rifle though. They guarantee sub-MOA accuracy from every rifle that leaves their factory. I have a bipod on the front because I am going to be using the gun to varmint hunt and I don't typically just shoulder the weapon when I hunt. I usually have a rest or lay down with the bipod down. If only my UBR stock could accommodate a cheek riser then I wouldn't be in this predicament. Anyways thanks for y'all's suggestions. They have been helpful, I'll be sure to post picks of the gun once it's all set up and I decide which stock to go with.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
So, in your opinion CTR > STR? I need to try an STR out.......
Yes, AT, IMO. I bought an STR then sold it because I just like the CTR better. I know the cheek weld is better on the STR but I never warmed up to it yet love the CTR. Don't know if it's the lighter weight (3.5 oz) or what but I'm glad to have CTRs on all three ARs now.

Definitely try the STR if you stumble across one at the range because it is a good design and lots of folks love it! And the extra 3.5 oz gives you more cheek weld and internal storage.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 11-28-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarter788 View Post
Yea you have a good point about the POD on the back of the gun. The larue tactical is actually a pretty precise rifle though. They guarantee sub-MOA accuracy from every rifle that leaves their factory. I have a bipod on the front because I am going to be using the gun to varmint hunt and I don't typically just shoulder the weapon when I hunt. I usually have a rest or lay down with the bipod down. If only my UBR stock could accommodate a cheek riser then I wouldn't be in this predicament. Anyways thanks for y'all's suggestions. They have been helpful, I'll be sure to post picks of the gun once it's all set up and I decide which stock to go with.
Yes please do! An SBR to varmint huh? Velly interesting! How about some videos?!! I'd love to see it in action.

I have a soft spot for LaRues. Someday I'll get one, prolly an OBR 18 or 20".

I think even with the recent price increase the PredatAR is a great value.

Gratz again, bet you can't wait for it!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yes, AT, IMO. I bought an STR then sold it because I just like the CTR better. I know the cheek weld is better on the STR but I never warmed up to it yet love the CTR. Don't know if it's the lighter weight (3.5 oz) or what but I'm glad to have CTRs on all three ARs now.

Definitely try the STR if you stumble across one at the range because it is a good design and lots of folks love it! And the extra 3.5 oz gives you more cheek weld and internal storage.

which is why all your ARs are so damn light! I like the CTR myself, its worth the added cost and tiny bit of weight over the MOE at least just for the QD swivel points.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
which is why all your ARs are so damn light! I like the CTR myself, its worth the added cost and tiny bit of weight over the MOE at least just for the QD swivel points.
Yeah I have a thing about ARs under 7 lbs!

I agree the CTR is worth the extra cost and slight extra weight to get the QD swivel and extra friction lock over the MOE. Not a thing wrong with the MOE though, and a real bargain.

A couple other things I like about the CTR over the STR and ACS is the QD swivel is built "double barrel" for instant left or right use (you can actually click in a QD on both sides at the same time if needed) while with the others you have to unscrew the swivel and reverse it to use on the other side. I don't see why they couldn't use the CTR style QD on the STR and ACS. And you can remove the CTR without a tool while with the STR and ACS you need a tool. Even though a cartridge would work I'd rather not take the chance of loosening the crimp and would recommend a small screwdriver.

The CTR is just a well thought out and handy design.

______