Need help on new AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help on new AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help on new AR

1 - I know nothing about AR's or who makes the best ones other than my buddy just bought one and I loved shooting it. Another buudy and I are looking into getting a couple and we both have the same parameters.

2 - I want to buy a new one (.223) from a very good mfg, not necessarliy the best.

3 - I will do all the add-ons later as I learn more.

4 - I want to stay aroung 1100 or 1200 MSRP if possible. A little more would be ok.

What would everyone here with good knowledge buy under these parameters?

I'm just looking for opinions so nobody can give a bad answer. I'm pretty much in the dark on this subject.

I appreciate anyone who has an opinion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ever consider building your own? Several advantages to that:

1. It generally turns out to be cheaper.
2. You can use the components you want.
3. It's fun.
4. It's easy.
5. Gives you a better knowledge about how the gun works if you ever have to do repairs.
6. Lots of guys on this forum that are happy to help in the process.

You might give thought to this. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First thing I would recommend is reading through the Sticky threads at the top of this section. There is a wealth of information about everything AR contained in those threads and you will learn A LOT more than you bargained for, I assure you.

After you read through those, come back and ask some more pointed questions, you will have a ton of them, then the folks can better help you get to where you want to go.

The world of the AR is a fantastic place to be, but there are so many options, to just recommend one manufacturer for everyone would be a crime.

Best of luck.

JD

Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Hey, Buck! Several months ago I started on a quest to find the right rifle for my needs (they're roughly the same as yours). After a lot of reading and the advice of some knowledgeable people around here, I've decided to build my own. I'll be buying a stripped lower this week, and then buying the parts from various places. My line-item budget is showing about $875 for what I want at first (I'll add a few bells and whistles later).

After I'm done I will know how to work with this evil black rifle much better than any of my other firearms. I'm quite looking forward to it. After a little time looking into the process, it isn't nearly as tough as it seemed at first.

The moment the stripped lower is home, BTW, I'll start a build thread. And be one more voice showing how easy it is even for people like me that have started out quite intimidated about the "difficulty."

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At your price range piston operated AR's are out of the question, although, there is nothing wrong with gas guns and at the up to $1200.00 amount you can buy a lot of gun. I prefer the A4's or flat top version because IMHO it's easier to add a variety optics and you can also add a detachable carry handle for a few more bucks later.

I shoot a Bushmaster, although, Rock River is a fine choice also. You can buy a pretty nice Rock with a chromed lined barrel and a National Match trigger for under $1200.00. Rock will guaranty that this gun will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. At any rate, stick with a name brand and you can't go wrong.

I also recently built an AR but would not suggest doing this until your are familiar with the AR platform and know what to expect.

www.rockriverarms.com/

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 06-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

BT, very good advice give here already. I would do what JD suggested and go into research mode right now. The more you know the fewer mistakes you will make. I'd take at least a month researching (and get your buddy actively involved too, get him to sign up here as well). Then I'd consider lonyaeger's advice about building. It's a lot of fun and why buy parts you'll later replace - make the right decisions as you build and do it once. If you decide to buy a complete rifle that's fine too but know the components that go in to it - so research is again crucial. I think when buying a new factory AR you should look at someone like BCM or Spikes Tactical who will custom build it to your specs.

Last August I began my first and only AR build starting with a stripped lower that I built up. I researched uppers a long time and finally chose an A4 midlength with a railed gas block (often called OR for optics ready). Originally I wanted to build the upper too but I found one the way I wanted it already assembled and for a price as good or better than the individual components. Factoring in the cost of extra tools to properly assemble an upper and that I didn't plan on any other builds it made sense to get a factory assembled and test fired upper. Since then I've added sights, magazines and a sling. My original parts have turned out to be perfectly acceptable and I attribute that to countless hours of research before choosing. I don't plan on getting another AR so this had to be a good compromise and so far it has.

Expect that you and your buddy will go in different directions - and that is a good thing. As you both get up to speed on the countless AR variations you can't end up in the same place unless you are clones yourselves!

Last edited by Quentin; 06-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone who responded. I do plan on doing a good bit of research before doing anything. There is a gun show coming up in nearby Columbia, SC on July 24th so I hope to know a great deal more by then.

I'm leaning towards hunter joe's advice and and buying a complete unit, shooting the crap out of it learning more as I go and then maybe doing a build down the road. Doing a build does sound fun. I don't know yet but I'll figure it out and try to educate myself as much as possible through this board and the rest of the internet.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Default Just another good AR site for the interested

Fulton Armory Home Page

This little know site is a good place to shop for well made rifles and parts. Like JD I am no expert but I have been playing with ARs of one type or another ever since they came out. The parts I have purchased from Futon-Armory have been very good quality.

Good luck and have fun!

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

+1 on Fulton Armory. They are good folks and turn out good quality stuff.