Need help mounting a scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help mounting a scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help mounting a scope

Hey everyone,
I'll start by saying this is my first post. I've done some searching but I'd like to make a post to get some definite answers. My father bought a Bushmaster AR-15 awhile back and I'm trying to learn more about it. From what I know the gun has a 20" heavy barrel (1 in 9 twist), non-removeable carry handle and a full stock. From off the top of my head i know you can flip the rear sight. I think one setting says 0-2 and the other is 3-8. I'm going off memory here. I think the gun maybe an "A2" style. Could anyone tell me what it is off my lame description. lol

So my question is since the handle is not removeable and I want to mount a nikon M-223 3-12X42SF nikoplex with Rapid Action Turret, what would be my best option to mount this scope to the AR-15. I was thinking about going with something like the Kwik-Site See-Thru Scope Mount and Scope Part No: KSN-M16 Ring Set… $53.95 or the A.R.M.S. # 2 Scope Mount.... Part No: 5855-01-299-777 Price: $68.95. I do not plan on taking the scope on and off and the gun does not get used much. The gun will be for target shooting. Both of these mounts claim I can still use the iron sights. The A.R.M.S. #2 says it is machined for continuous zero hold whereas the other mount does not say this. It is also the more expensive of the two. Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks

Pat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

I might be mistaken but if your go with either of the sight mounts you referred to you would not need the see-thru rings. You will be looking at the iron sights through the rail you install. Personally I would want to get the shortest rings I could that would still allow use of the iron sights. The higher your scope is off of your rifle the more a change in the distance from where you zeroed it in will be affected

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

These are the two I'm referring to:

A.R.M.S. #2

Kwik Sight

Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Either will work and allow the use of iron sites. Most such mounts are pretty repeatable.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

I tried to post a picture of each mount so everyone could see the difference between the two but its not showing for some reason. I'm debating on whether I should go with the Nikon M-223 now as opposed to another scope like the nikon monarch 6-24X50. Decisions decisions

Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Both mounts no matter what they are are going to put the scope to high above the bore to comfortability shoot and be accurate. I would just stick to the Irons. That is me I feel that if you want a scope on an AR get a flat top. Or your going to need to get a stock that has an adjustable comb on it so you can raise it way up to get it where your eye alignment is right.

Typical distance from eye to cheek on an adult is 1.5". Higher than that and you are starting to not rest on your cheek bone and rest on your chin your chin is unstable (meaning that it moves side to side and up and down). This will cause you to shoot worse.

The biggest draw back to see through rings or mounts is the restriction of the Field of View (FOV). SO it is like breaking your arm to fix a broken arm. doesn't work out well in the long run.

Why on earth are you wanting a 6-24x50? Granted That is what is on top of my ar but they are slightly different. Mine is a varmint type rifle with a flat top. Yours sounds like a regular A2 style AR. That 6-24x50mm is a great scope and it is a rather LARGE scope too.

Mine with 1" tall rings. These ended up being to high for me.

Here it is with 3/4" rings and it works much better in this config.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #7

I'd like to have the flat top. I thought the scope would be to high with the carrying handle plus the scope. What would I need to buy in order to get the flat top? Could I go with a Bushmaster V Match "Flat-Top" Upper Receiver Assembly or am I screwed because my handle is attached?

This is the Bushmaster V Match "Flat-Top" Upper Receiver Assembly

Added after the post:

I just realized my front iron sight would be in the way if I went with a flat top mount and added a scope.

Last edited by metalli445; 08-26-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #8

Default Met445

The front sight will not be visible when you look thru your scope due to the magnification. You can get a riser rail to lift the scope if you want to but it is not necessary unless you need to lift the scope to clear your back up iron sights if you even have them.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #9

Flat top upper of you're choice- $125-$185 depending on brand and where you buy it.

Barrel nut wrench- $20

Medium rings- $10-$100 depending on brans and type and where you buy them.

Pin punch for gas tube roll pin- $3.00

Viola.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As for the frount sight not being visible through a scope I`ve heard that a lot, but I see the darn thing and it drivers me nut to shoot that way. I have 4 uppers and none of them have the frount sight on them.

Catfish
Ohio