Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > NEED HELP! Major malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Hey forum,
I just added a quad rail and my light from deployment to my personal AR15 and when I began to check it I found a huge problem (well huge to me) and I have no clue what's wrong. I just got out of the marines today and moved back home to VA so it's not like I can have one of my armorer buddies come look at it for me. When I lock my bolt to the rear it seems like it's moving forward (it is) and that felt wrong to me. So I decided to try and insert a magazine to see if it'll still feed properly (it won't). The problem is is that the bolt locks to the rear with the catch manually engaged while sliding the bolt to the rear but has to slide forward to "catch" and it causes the front of the bolt to sit so far forward that the tip of the bolt sits on top of the rounds when I inset a new magazine. So now when I slap the bolt release to send it home and load a round it just slides over the rounds or jams. I really need some help here guys.

image-601615740.jpg

1. Bolt manually pulled all the way to the rear
2. The next is where the bolt is catching with the bolt catch
3. With mag inserted you can see the bolt is on top of the back of the rounds
4. Another view of the improper bolt placement

image-3076039212.jpg   image-3560785998.jpg   image-3572546949.jpg  

Last edited by BigRedUSMC; 09-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC
Hey forum,
I just added a quad rail and my light from deployment to my personal AR15 and when I began to check it I found a huge problem (well huge to me) and I have no clue what's wrong. I just got out of the marines today and moved back home to VA so it's not like
.....what?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler

.....what?
Lolololololololol

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler

.....what?
Premature post it's fully up now my bad

Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

OK- couple of things to check.

Yes, your bolt IS going too far forward. Why?

Is any part of the rail interfering with the bolt catch lever? Remove upper, turn so you can look in, latch bolt to rear, push with thumb- and what is slipping? Is the bolt catch dinged up on the inside?

And do check that bolt/ Bolt carrier group is properly assembled.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC

Premature post it's fully up now my bad
I thought i just needed another beer...

Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

The bolt on the AR will not lock open without an empty mag in the magwell. When there are rounds in the mag it should slide past the rim in order to strip a round out of the mag. Try inserting an empty mag and locking the bolt back with the charging handle. If the bolt hangs that far back with an empty mag then the problem may be in the stock, there is nothing that far back other than the hammer for the bolt to catch on...have you changed buffer springs? Is there a carbine length spring in a rifle length tube? Something else the rear of the bolt carrier is hanging up on?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
The bolt on the AR will not lock open without an empty mag in the magwell. When there are rounds in the mag it should slide past the rim in order to strip a round out of the mag. Try inserting an empty mag and locking the bolt back with the charging handle. If the bolt hangs that far back with an empty mag then the problem may be in the stock, there is nothing that far back other than the hammer for the bolt to catch on...have you changed buffer springs? Is there a carbine length spring in a rifle length tube? Something else the rear of the bolt carrier is hanging up on?
Everything internally is factory original. I haven't even shot it but twice so far. I had it at the range two weeks ago and it functioned great I just don't know where this is coming from. It's probably my bolt catch. It does the same thing with an empty mag

Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedUSMC View Post
Everything internally is factory original. I haven't even shot it but twice so far. I had it at the range two weeks ago and it functioned great I just don't know where this is coming from. It's probably my bolt catch. It does the same thing with an empty mag
Sounds like it. Does the bolt look ok? No missing teeth or anything? Is the bolt catch under tension, can you feel the spring tighten up? Do you remember "dropping the hammer" on the bolt catch with the upper removed?

Lot of questions I know.

BTW, welcome home and thanks for your service.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2593 Times on 1364 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Remove the upper and post some pics inside the upper and lower. Could be a broken bolt stop. Easy to break if you snap the hammer while the halves are separate.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball