Need help going to build my first AR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help going to build my first AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Lol noooooooooooooooooooo.

A 18" or 20" 6.5 grendel should be able to get out to 600 to 800 yards. if I wanted to go over 1k, I'd go for a 22 or 24" barrel.

I'd probably get a fluted barrel for a lighter weight option for carry. My only thing is 20" is supposedly the ideal length, but 18" would be for carry. what to do.

I'm leaning towards 20", rifle gas, jp adjustable gas block, 15" free float troy alpha, samson evo, or MI SS gen 2 handguards, Ace skeleton stock, and some sort of bipod and optic.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

So I just helped my friend put together a 20" SPR type build. Its a heavy barreled with a 15" MI SS gen 2 rail (man that this is a featherweight) and handling was not bad at all. I think I'm going to go with a 20" fluted when the time comes......

OP have you made any decisions? I'm curious which way you went....

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
So I just helped my friend put together a 20" SPR type build. Its a heavy barreled with a 15" MI SS gen 2 rail (man that this is a featherweight) and handling was not bad at all. I think I'm going to go with a 20" fluted when the time comes......

OP have you made any decisions? I'm curious which way you went....
Yes i decided on the 6.8 spc upper and either a rock rivers lower or a dpms lower which ever one is cheaper. Alot of people don't know that there are actually only about 2 or 3 lower manufacturers and big name brands just get their lower and put their brand name on it, then they make the price higher.

Anyways, the thing is I haven't decided on what to add with it before its shipped.
Can you tell me in your opinion what is a 100% needed or will make the rifle better. Click on the link to see.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/product215.html

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter100 View Post
Yes i decided on the 6.8 spc upper and either a rock rivers lower or a dpms lower which ever one is cheaper. Alot of people don't know that there are actually only about 2 or 3 lower manufacturers and big name brands just get their lower and put their brand name on it, then they make the price higher.

Anyways, the thing is I haven't decided on what to add with it before its shipped.
Can you tell me in your opinion what is a 100% needed or will make the rifle better. Click on the link to see.

http://jtdistributing.net/store/product215.html
More people know of that than don't. What some people fail to realize is the customer (company purchasing the part) can specify that the parts be made to their desired specifications. Attention to detail during assembly will vary from company to company as well.

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo here we go, lol.

You can get a Ranier Arms lower for $325 or a PSA lower for $299. The RA lower is a great value considering the stock it comes w/.

I'd also look into PSA for your upper as well. I'm willing to bet it's of higher quality than the one in the link you provided.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

In before billt

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #16

I'm not a expert on the 6.8 spc, but from what I understand, I question the need for a 20" barrel for 6.8 spc.

Not much is gained by going over 16", infact most people don't recommend going over 16".

Might want to look into that.... if you're hunting, a 16" would be a lot more easy to lug than a 20" right?

6.8 spc is one of those weird rounds where the shorter the barrel gets the better it performs relatively.......
6.5 Grendel gets better as the barrel gets longer....

Last edited by AgentTikki; 05-11-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I'm not a expert on the 6.8 spc, but from what I understand, I question the need for a 20" barrel for 6.8 spc.

Not much is gained by going over 16", infact most people don't recommend going over 16".

Might want to look into that.... if you're hunting, a 16" would be a lot more easy to lug than a 20" right?

6.8 spc is one of those weird rounds where the shorter the barrel gets the better it performs relatively.......
6.5 Grendel gets better as the barrel gets longer....
Well then i guess ill just go with 16" or 18"

Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #18

Have you had any experience with J&T?

Prices are cheap, but things like MP batch tested bolts seem kinda iffy....

PSA is having a free shipping promo right now
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-6-8-spcii-mid-length-cmv-mp-upper.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-18-6-8-stainless-steel-upper-1.html