Need help finding an upper for my AR
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help finding an upper for my AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 23

Default Need help finding an upper for my AR

hey guys, so far I have a Grizzly lower with DPMS LPK and a DPMS 6 position collapsible stock in the mail. you guys were definitely right,it was super easy putting the lower together. My question to you guys is where can I find a good flat top upper that comes with front sight for a good price? I've seen a few but am very new to AR's so I'm not sure whats good and whats crap

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Liked 1082 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

CD you've got to tell us more about what you want it for. Right now there are scores of nicely priced A3/A4 uppers with a front sight - but lots of different specs!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

O yeah, I knew I forgot something. I'm looking for a 16" that I can use as a home protection rifle if ever need be and for some fun at the range. A removable carry handle would be a plus.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #4

anybody? what do you guys think about these?

DPMS AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Handguard, A2 Front Sight, Flash Hider, Pre-Ban - MidwayUSA

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-complete-uppers/ar-15-16-flat-top-complete-upper-with-16-light-barrel-del-ton-light-barrel-m4-16-inch-detail.htm

Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if I would buy a flat top with a fixed A2 front sight. It reduces your options for latter mods. Half the joy of a flat top is the ability to adapt it to multi use so don't limit yourself. MHO

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #6

the thing is honestly I'm a cheap ass so i really cant picture myself ever investing in anything but flip up sights or a removable carry handle, but it works for me because those are the two styles I like(based solely on aesthetics)

Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #7

the A2 front sight does work with a flip up right?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadrinker85 View Post
the A2 front sight does work with a flip up right?
With the old A2 front sight base on a flat top (A2/A4) upper there might be trouble zeroing with milspec height rear sights, flip up or whatever. The front sight post will have to be unscrewed pretty far, often to the point where it's wobbly.

DPMS, Oly, Bushmaster, ArmaLite and others use the A2 FSB on their flat top uppers when they should use the taller milspec F-marked FSB. I ran in to this problem putting a used Colt carry handle on my A4 ArmaLite upper. Fortunately there's a cheap fix by installing a $6 Bushmaster 0.04" taller sight post.

The other option is buy a commercial height rear sight which aligns properly with the A2 FSB on an A3/A4 upper but I think it makes more sense bringing the front sight up to spec so you can use standard rear sights.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #9

What type of sights would you recommend if I get a flat top with no front sight? Keep in mind I would like to stay within a budget of around $100.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

Really sights are such a personal thing it's hard to recommend just one. Nothing wrong with getting a fixed front sight base on an A3/A4 upper, odds are it won't get in your way even if you mount a scope. But if you get a DPMS upper or other that uses the A2 height FSB just remember you might need the taller sight post to zero with most rear sights. Not a big deal, I just added mine to an order I was getting from Bushmaster anyway and it only takes a few minutes to install.

If you want to go with a full flat top with a railed gas block that's a good way too. You could then add a flip down front sight or removable. I noticed that ArmaLite has their U15A4CB midlength upper on sale for Labor Day for $450 and that includes the charging handle, BCG, and plastic stocks. A gas block sight is all it needs. Not saying get that one but you might want to look. I have that upper and it's been great, a very flexible OR design.

Prices are good right now so you have lots of nice choices out there. Just start looking and get the specs down pat that you want before you buy.