Need help to ensure I'm on the right track - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help to ensure I'm on the right track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
As far as lowers I go along with the generalization that a lower is a lower. Sometimes you get a bad one but usually they work fine. The main reason to match the same brand upper and lower is cosmetic, the finishes may match better and they may fit tigher. And of course you can choose the rollmark you really like - nothing wrong with that.
And for the most part, I agree. Most lowers are pretty good quality, even the lesser known brands. I have built enough to know that even the best have some slip past quality control. But when all of it is good, and you get every peice put in just right, it can be sooooo sweeeeeeet

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #22

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
And that is why I started my statement w/ "for the most part." There are always exceptions to the rule. I have a lower that alows the trigger pins to walk. I have used the LPK in another lower w/o any problems thus the reason I think it's the lower.

It's always smart to use quality parts over parts that are perceived to be of quality.
It is always nice to have an extra lower (or upper) to troubleshoot problems. I agree 100% that you should always use known quality parts.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #23

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

lowers vary depending on how they were made -- milled or cast.

milled, as it's name indicates, is milled from a solid block of aluminum (tool marks can be found on lower), and are the higher end lower. "cast" is as it indicates also. pretty much, the castings (excess aluminum from tool work) from the milled lower are gathered (not really), melted down, and poured into a casting (mold), allowed to cool and then removed from mold.

it just depends on what you like. BEWARE! THERE IS CRAP OUT THERE! it's rumored though, that there are only 4 or 5 lower receiver manufacturers out there that supply for ALL the retail companies.............they just put their logos and names on them.

do a ton of research and quality reading, get a good quality upper and barrel, and BCG (bolt carrier group - bolt and bolt carrier), spend a few extra $$ on it, and you won't be disappointed. cuz once you shoot it (and maybe even before), it's yours! you're stuck with it, however much you paid for it..............if it's crap and you have to buy another one, then you're out the cost of it, PLUS the cost of the one that's gonna do you right.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me