Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need help to ensure I'm on the right track

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help to ensure I'm on the right track

Hey guys, I've been read through tons of threads and sites, and think I've got it all figured out, but wanna double check before I commit to anything.

I'm looking at this (http://www.zombie-defense.com/lower-receiver-information.html) lower with stock and parts kits.

And then this (http://www.surplusammo.com/dpms-panther-a3-lite-16-complete-upper-receiver-5-56-nato/) upper.

My questions are:

1. Is this going to complete the rifle or will I still need a buffer tube, spring, and barrel nuts?

2. Does this seem like a decent setup? I'm not looking for anything special just something fun to shoot, and take out zombies if the day ever comes.

3. I just noticed www.slickguns.com, I noticed their a vendor here and was wondering if any can vouch for them?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Thought of another question, a lot of what I'm reading says to upgrade the trigger asap, is it really worth it if it's just going to be a fun gun anyways?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm not an AR person, but the stickies at the top of the AR section are decent reading. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar-15-build-here-i-go-28708/ There is another guy up there (junho) with his build, and his rifle turned out very nice.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Well here are my thoughts, im wondering something, if you are going to spend that much on your lower, why buy a DPMS upper? Anyways you will have a functioning gun if you buy those parts, however you will need a rear sight, and some mags

Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
Well here are my thoughts, im wondering something, if you are going to spend that much on your lower, why buy a DPMS upper? Anyways you will have a functioning gun if you buy those parts, however you will need a rear sight, and some mags
Because the D-Bag at the local gun store told him it was the best money can buy and ignore all those know nothings saying it's not. Then he went to a gun show and the guy behind the table selling pieced together rifles made mostly of DPMS parts confirmed what the guy behind the counter at the gun store said.

Don't cheap out on the upper because you want some cool roll mark on your lower. The upper is the heart and soul of the AR.

Those lowers would make for a fun build though.

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

That lower is way more than I'd expect to pay. What they charge for a stripped lower is about what I paid for a complete lower (single stage) from Stag.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #7

The lower is kind of a running gag, so I'm willing to pay the price for it. Uppers are still quite confusing to me, not so much in the functioning sense, as the quality. I hear mixed opinions on every upper I've found so far, so a bit further direction on that would be appreciated.

Also, no one touched on slickguns.com. I've read tons of builds on here, but that in way helps me decide what parts I want.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by him_tattoos View Post
The lower is kind of a running gag, so I'm willing to pay the price for it. Uppers are still quite confusing to me, not so much in the functioning sense, as the quality. I hear mixed opinions on every upper I've found so far, so a bit further direction on that would be appreciated.

Also, no one touched on slickguns.com. I've read tons of builds on here, but that in way helps me decide what parts I want.
Right now the best bet for a lower priced upper would be Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories – Palmetto State Armory. If you want value look into a BCM. Stock is low right now but they are well worth the weight.

I'm afraid you'd be disappointed in the upper you listed if you were to use it w/ any consistency.

EDIT: Just came across this deal on a really nice upper - http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5055MLS&name=Spikes+Tactical +16%22+Midlength+LWT+with+MOE+handguard&groupid=6

Last edited by mjkeat; 10-06-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by him_tattoos View Post
Hey guys, I've been read through tons of threads and sites, and think I've got it all figured out, but wanna double check before I commit to anything.

I'm looking at this (Lower Receiver Information - Zombie Defense Firearm Sales and Manufacturing) lower with stock and parts kits.

And then this (!!! - DPMS Panther A3 Lite-16 Complete Upper Receiver- 5.56 NATO - Surplus Ammo) upper.

My questions are:

1. Is this going to complete the rifle or will I still need a buffer tube, spring, and barrel nuts?

2. Does this seem like a decent setup? I'm not looking for anything special just something fun to shoot, and take out zombies if the day ever comes.

3. I just noticed Slickguns | Best deals on guns and ammo posted by users, I noticed their a vendor here and was wondering if any can vouch for them?

Thanks in advance

ur gonna need a stock and/or a stock kit of some sort. other than that, plenty of ammo.

for a few dollars more, i would go here and get mine...............I DID!
http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 266

AND WHAT'S KEWL, U CAN ADD, OR TAKE AWAY ITEMS AND MAKE IT LIKE YOU WANT IT!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-07-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #10

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Just to add my .02, buy the mall ninja kool lower you want, then go shopping for all the rest somewhere else. Plenty of quality lower cost parts on the internet. Since all the rest is Bushmaster, they are pretty generic, and many manufacturers will make something extremely close for less money. I personally prefer Bushmaster buttstocks because of the timing lip on the buffer tube.