Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need Help Convincing The Lady Friend To Buy Me A New AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20077 Times on 11421 Posts
Likes Given: 50640

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Orgasms.

Mind-bending, earth-shattering, IQ-decimating, ORGASMS.

Works fer me. Id say about 10 of those and you'll prolly even have all her credit cards...
bad tikki, bad tikki!

Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #22

You could always build your own AR piece by piece, forking out about $100 to $200 a month. That's how my father got his ARs done. Plus you'll have the satisfaction of knowing how to assemble the rifle, how the internal parts inter-operate, and all the parts will be as good as you forked out the cash for them. I'm not talking about buying a completed lower and upper receiver and slapping them together. That would be just as expensive as buying the entire rifle already assembled. I'm talking about getting a stripped lower and stripped upper and putting all the parts in yourself. You can go cheap with DPMS parts, or more expensive with Stag or Smith and Wesson parts, or mix and match them.

Just remember that you get what you pay for, and you might not want to skimp on some parts, like the ejector cover, springs, bolt carrier, barrel, trigger group, receiver forgings. Nonfunctional parts like the forend (although a free-floating forend will be more expensive and will serve better), grip, stock, sights, etc can be skimped reasonably and upgraded later without burning your wallet. It sounds like a lot, but you will shave a few hundred dollars or more off the total cost of the rifle.

There's plenty of build-up videos on YouTube and writeups can be found all over google. The tools to assemble one are fairly inexpensive. The ammo - on the other hand - can be just as expensive as the gun itself, depending on how many rounds you buy. In the end, you will save money by building the rifle yourself from scratch.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic
You could always build your own AR piece by piece, forking out about $100 to $200 a month. That's how my father got his ARs done. Plus you'll have the satisfaction of knowing how to assemble the rifle, how the internal parts inter-operate, and all the parts will be as good as you forked out the cash for them. I'm not talking about buying a completed lower and upper receiver and slapping them together. That would be just as expensive as buying the entire rifle already assembled. I'm talking about getting a stripped lower and stripped upper and putting all the parts in yourself. You can go cheap with DPMS parts, or more expensive with Stag or Smith and Wesson parts, or mix and match them.

Just remember that you get what you pay for, and you might not want to skimp on some parts, like the ejector cover, springs, bolt carrier, barrel, trigger group, receiver forgings. Nonfunctional parts like the forend (although a free-floating forend will be more expensive and will serve better), grip, stock, sights, etc can be skimped reasonably and upgraded later without burning your wallet. It sounds like a lot, but you will shave a few hundred dollars or more off the total cost of the rifle.

There's plenty of build-up videos on YouTube and writeups can be found all over google. The tools to assemble one are fairly inexpensive. The ammo - on the other hand - can be just as expensive as the gun itself, depending on how many rounds you buy. In the end, you will save money by building the rifle yourself from scratch.
Lol.
I already own multiple AR platforms. I'm also Active Duty Army Ranger/Sniper qualified; I'm a Small Weapons Master Gunner and Armorer so I am VERY knowledgeable on these weapons.

Got any ideas on how to convince HER? It'd be too easy to buy my own....

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd *settle* for a case of ammo and call it good.

Be Well.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Lol.
I already own multiple AR platforms. I'm also Active Duty Army Ranger/Sniper qualified; I'm a Small Weapons Master Gunner and Armorer so I am VERY knowledgeable on these weapons.

Got any ideas on how to convince HER? It'd be too easy to buy my own....
My bad. If only you had my wife (and she had money), it would be so easy. She wants to buy zombie max ammo just to have the box.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2010 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Well the subject line says it all.

She made the mistake of asking what I wanted for Xmas.....

I told her I wanted either a new AR-15 or AR-10.

She has two main objections

1- "You don't NEED it."
2- "It's a waste of money."

So now that it's out on the table, I need AS MUCH help as I can get. Tell me what you folks would say to plant the seed in her head to buy one. Or some good excuses that will do the same.

NOTHING is too low! Lol
I would remind her of we really don't need anything we get for Christmas and therefore just about any gift could be a waste of money.

Then if it was my wife I'd remind her of how many pairs of black shoes she owns. That's settled a lot of those debates in our house. I think were about within a year of the shoes vs firearms debate finally arriving at equilibrium, then I won't have to hear it again.

That could change sometime down the road if I tell her I want a $10,000 O/U shotgun, but I'm working up to that.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #27

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Thats like when someone asks me what I want for Christmas and I say Cash and they disapprove. So who is it they're purchasing the gift for? Who is it they are truly trying to make happy? Me or them?

If they really want to make me happy doesn't it make more sense to get me what I want instead of what they think I should have?
I think that this is one of the best arguments myself.
She asked what you wanted, and she got the answer, nuff said. She either gets you what you want, or it's like saying that what you want isn't good enough.

Did my wife need a new coat, a diamond ring (it was cheap, evenI was able to afford it) and a new purse? Hell no, but it's what she wanted, and I had the money (sold my college text books), and so guess whats packed away in the bottom of my dresser? That's right, the stuff she wanted, and nothing that she needs.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #28

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I think that this is one of the best arguments myself.
She asked what you wanted, and she got the answer, nuff said. She either gets you what you want, or it's like saying that what you want isn't good enough.

Did my wife need a new coat, a diamond ring (it was cheap, evenI was able to afford it) and a new purse? Hell no, but it's what she wanted, and I had the money (sold my college text books), and so guess whats packed away in the bottom of my dresser? That's right, the stuff she wanted, and nothing that she needs.
Ok just dont get a hard on for about 2 weeks an tell her its becouse all the blood is goin to yer brain becouse u cant stop thinkin about that gun an if she would get said gun it will restore blood flow to other head. Tell her its life or hard on. Please help babe, then smile an puppy dog her, also mope around the house it helps sell the deal

Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Ok just dont get a hard on for about 2 weeks an tell her its becouse all the blood is goin to yer brain becouse u cant stop thinkin about that gun an if she would get said gun it will restore blood flow to other head. Tell her its life or hard on. Please help babe, then smile an puppy dog her, also mope around the house it helps sell the deal
Lmao. Yea. That may be the one that fits into that "too low" box.

Hows it goin bud?

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 789 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic View Post
You could always build your own AR piece by piece, forking out about $100 to $200 a month.
that's the way I'm going to do it... SWMBO hasn't given me much flack about buying one already built, but I'm having a tough time justifying the expense myself. Don't readily have a place to shoot it, and don't have a really good justification to shoot it I'm sure that will all change once it's in my hand But, she did tell me a co-worker told her about one that may be available super cheap, so might end up with two!