need help
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default need help

Wanting to get a Del-Ton parts kit.. I'm leaning to this more then buying a ak... but it dosnt come with a lower... how do I no what lowers work for what uppers?
HELP

Wyoming is what America was

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Wanting to get a Del-Ton parts kit.. I'm leaning to this more then buying a ak... but it dosnt come with a lower... how do I no what lowers work for what uppers?
HELP

Any Mil-Spec AR-15 lower will accept any Mil-Spec AR-15 upper. Only "except" is the large pin colts but they are rare these days. Before you spend any money on the Del-Ton check out Palmetto State Armory, Bravo Company or Spikes Tactical. You may be surprised to find a little more quality doesn't necessarily come at a much higher price.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/600-ar-fact-fiction-55961/

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What he said, sort of. Because a company says their stuff is "mil-spec" doesn't make it so. I recently had a guy bring his AR to me. He'd bought a new 6.8 upper to go with his lower. Both claimed to be mil-spec. But the pin holes for mating the upper and lower together were off slightly. Not by a lot, but enough to keep them from going together without reaming the upper pin holes slightly. I'm sure others here can give some direction on upper/lower combinations they know work.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #4

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Yes id like some help on what lower can go with what uppers

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #5

99% of milspec lowers fit milspec uppers. go look at RRA, Stag, Spikes, BCM

Old 01-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #6

Liked 1082 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Get the stripped lower you like best. Check the sticky above for lots of pictures. Check what's available locally, get a feel for what you want. If you're sold on Del-Ton they sell lowers, just get it on a separate order from the parts.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
What he said, sort of. Because a company says their stuff is "mil-spec" doesn't make it so. I recently had a guy bring his AR to me. He'd bought a new 6.8 upper to go with his lower. Both claimed to be mil-spec. But the pin holes for mating the upper and lower together were off slightly. Not by a lot, but enough to keep them from going together without reaming the upper pin holes slightly. I'm sure others here can give some direction on upper/lower combinations they know work.

This is pretty rare tho isn't it? Most will mate with a little play....

Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #8

I would not worry about this happening all that often. If it were to, send one of the receivers back fro replacement. Even in the military, we would occasionally receive weapons that were just not quite right. Buy with confidence!