Need Help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Need Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help

Looking for assistance on how I go about removing the front sight on my AR-15. Want to mount a scope on upper receiver, (dont want paralex problem) and also need to install BUIS.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Front sight should not cause any real problems with sight picture. Parallax has nothing to do with intermediate objects. If you REALLY want to do so, you can get a rail topped gas block. Cross pin secures the front sight post/gas block.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #3

The pins are slightly tapered. Punch them out left to right, if I remember right.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumania View Post
Looking for assistance on how I go about removing the front sight on my AR-15. Want to mount a scope on upper receiver, (dont want paralex problem) and also need to install BUIS.
I think you are on the wrong track here. I would advise against removing the front sight post.
First..Parallax.......
TWO FACTORS WHICH CAUSE AND DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF PARALLAX IN A RIFLESCOPE:

1. The distance of the target to the objective--The objective lens forms a primary image of the subject being viewed and subsequent components invert the image, and there is no parallax. The actual position at which the image is formed is dependent on the distance the target is from the objective. Closer targets are formed farther away from the objective and farther targets are formed closer to the objective. Since the reticle is in a fixed position within the scope housing, the image is not always formed in the same plane as the reticle and, hence parallax.

2. The distance the eye can move from the optical axis of the scope, is determined by exit pupil size. There is no parallax, at any distance, as long as the eye is lined up exactly with the optical axis of the scope. An exit pupil small enough to do this would be impractical. It is important to know that in every scope, there is some parallax. It is also important to know that in every scope, there is some one shooting distance at which there is no parallax. In most rifle scopes this one point of zero parallax is usually placed at a suitable mid-range point in the scopes' focal range.

In lower-quality scopes, there are other sources of parallax. If the reticle is not precisely placed the correct distance from the objective, the distance of no parallax will be exaggerated. Reticles that are not securely mounted and allowed to move even a few thousandths of an inch, will always have changing amounts of parallax. Parallax is also caused by optical deficiencies in the objective, either by design or manufacture. If spherical or astigmatic aberrations have not been corrected, images will form a considerable distance from the reticle. If you see a scope in which the apparent movement of the reticle compared with the image viewed is different from when you move your eye up and down than when you mover your eye side to side, it is because of a bad objective. No adjustment of the scope will eliminate these faults or optical deficiencies.

You can check the parallax of any scope by sighting an object at normal shooting distance (not indoors), by moving your eye side to side (then up and down), as far as you can, keeping the sighted object within the field of view. The apparent movement of the reticle in relation the target is parallax.

With the A2 stock, you will need some type of riser or raised weaver ring to obtain an acceptable cheek weld. The fron sight post will not be visible thru 4X and up.

If you co-witness with BUIS, you are guaranteed to use either a see through riser or see through rings.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

alright what is happening is that I remove the carry handle and mount the red dot onto the upper receiver. When I look through the scope all I see is the front sight (not the target). So either I remove the front sight (which I m second guessing now) or I need some sort of "rise" to mount optic on top of so the optic is flush with the front sight post.

In this case where can I find a "mount" to place on top of upper receiver to elevate my optics so the the front sight is no long in the way. Also what size will i need (height difference)?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumania View Post
alright what is happening is that I remove the carry handle and mount the red dot onto the upper receiver. When I look through the scope all I see is the front sight (not the target). So either I remove the front sight (which I m second guessing now) or I need some sort of "rise" to mount optic on top of so the optic is flush with the front sight post.

In this case where can I find a "mount" to place on top of upper receiver to elevate my optics so the the front sight is no long in the way. Also what size will i need (height difference)?
Mount the scope to the carry handle. It'll allow for a more natural cheek weld, and one that you're already accustomed to. ARs with the scopes mounted straight to the receiver force the head and neck into an unnatural position.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Any of these work?

Pro 20mm Weaver Scope Mount Rail For Carry Handle 15A - eBay (item 280291688603 end time Jul-02-09 09:39:18 PDT)

Pro 3 side 20mm Rail See Through Scope Mount base 15D - eBay (item 250337293955 end time Jul-02-09 09:39:20 PDT)

SpiderFire QD M4 Rear Sight w/ 20mm Scope Rail Pro M012 - eBay (item 280291689555 end time Jul-02-09 09:43:21 PDT)

Spiderfire 3 side Tri Rail 25mm / 30mm Scope Mount Pro - eBay (item 280291689212 end time Jul-02-09 09:41:55 PDT)

Tactical Raising 20mm Weaver Rail Scope Mount Base #15B - eBay (item 280291690708 end time Jul-02-09 09:47:25 PDT)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #8

thx for input guys

Old 06-07-2009, 06:10 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

A standard Picatinny extension riser should work for you. Here is a 1" cheapie, but there are higher quality avail. CAA FTRM Flat Top Riser Mount [CAA-FTRM] - $19.95 : Area 51 Tactical, 334 375-7153

Yankee Hill makes a 1/2" riser that is reasonably priced. Model 1 Sales

Or, try an Aimpoint in LaRue 150 mount. The combo price from LaRue is a very good deal. It will allow you to use the Ap with the standard front sight post.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #10

I have a riser that is about 1 inch high, I would thaink that should take care of getting the scope/reddot above the front sight. My Bushmaster does have the fold down front sight on it, but I still have the scope mounted to that riser.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org