need a cleaning tip or two or three...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need a cleaning tip or two or three...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2844 Times on 1684 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Default need a cleaning tip or two or three...

1) is it OK to soak bolt, etc in a solvent? how long?

2) PLEASE help me figure out a better way to clean the chamber/locking lug. i feel like i never really get this area clean. would any special tool really help? (hopefully there is a better way than using 50-75 q-tips....)

3) any tips to clean the receiver out easily would also help a brother out...

4) how often do you need to clean the gas tube?

thanks!

signed,

hawkguy (who has owned an AR for quite awhile but still feels like his AR IQ is about 85).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

2) PLEASE help me figure out a better way to clean the chamber/locking lug. i feel like i never really get this area clean. would any special tool really help? (hopefully there is a better way than using 50-75 q-tips....)

thanks!

signed,

hawkguy (who has owned an AR for quite awhile but still feels like his AR IQ is about 85).
There are gun solvents that I have found are OK to soak a BCG in. SLP 2000 is pretty decent. I have used diesel, but I don't recommend it unless you haven't got anything else. Use a rag to clean out your chamber in the field, then about every 200-300 rounds, take a bore brush to it. I don't get too aggressive with wire brushes when cleaning. A well built AR doesn't have to be white glove clean to function properly, and excessive use of wire brushes can start removing phosphate coatings. In certain parts, you can cause the parts with tight tolerances to start getting loose over a few years. You didn't specify which receiver, so I will go with the upper. Use a wet rag to clean the receiver, then a dry rag to dry it off. A properly built AR can go it's life span without anyone touching the gas tube. I have never heard of one clogging up with carbon. If you insist on cleaning it, spray some canned air (the kind you use to clean your keyboard with) through the tube and call it a day. You can easily do more harm than good to a gas tube trying to maintain it.
An AR15 does not have to be kept white glove clean to be in top running condition if it is built properly, as I have stated repeatedly, and you will see others in this forum state the same. There are multiple threads on the lube points of an AR. Just lube what is necessary, and unless something breaks, don't try to clean what you can't get to.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Should be fine to soak the bolt if needed but for normal cleaning some Hoppes (or your preference) solvent and a tooth brush, bore brush and patches should be sufficient.

IMO of the most important places to get clean is the chamber. I use a military style chamber brush like this one. Should cut down on the amount of Q tips required. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405624827.577403.jpg

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:

thanks!

signed,

You can soak the bolt over nite in hoppes 9 stay away from harsh amonia based stuff like sweets a copper foul outs. I do not believe they should be near a firearm much less used on one. Best tool for getting hard fouling is a cat m4 tool. Just do not grind away with it as its metal on metal. Only light touch is need.

Ar15/m16 chamber brush. Soak brush in solvent using a t-handle rotate brush in chamber and lucking lugs. Wrap one 308 pat around fat part of the brush to clean debris repeat as needed. Qtips wrapped in a patch for mopping up.

Upper receiver rag with solvent wrapped around a big tothbrush get after it.

Lower is just qtips and patches and clp do not use solvent on the lower you won't get it out without a tear down.

Gas tube inside is self cleaning. Outside just like anything else.

Light coat of clp after its all done.

What I do to make cleaning easy is I never use sewing machine oils like rem oil or penetrants like kroil (however its spelled). I use 30w motor oil nondetergent as a lube. The crud never gets a chance to adhere in a solid fashion so a quick wipe is all you really need on anything

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #5

thanks for all input. i know that no firearm needs to be "white glove clean" to function, but i am a bit anal about it, and like a clean gun. plus, i tend to shoot and then store 1-4 months normally before i take it out again.

thanks again to all for the input.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Should be fine to soak the bolt if needed but for normal cleaning some Hoppes (or your preference) solvent and a tooth brush, bore brush and patches should be sufficient.

IMO of the most important places to get clean is the chamber. I use a military style chamber brush like this one. Should cut down on the amount of Q tips required. Attachment 147010

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.
thanks, that is obviously what i need!

do they make a version of this brush that IS NOT brass? i have strayed away from brass brushes pretty much all together. normally just use a toothbrush, cloth, patches or q-tips for general cleaning.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
thanks, that is obviously what i need!

do they make a version of this brush that IS NOT brass? i have strayed away from brass brushes pretty much all together. normally just use a toothbrush, cloth, patches or q-tips for general cleaning.
556 ar15

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/gun-cleaning-brushes/ar-15-m16-eliminator-ar-15-brush-pak-prod42768.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=IOSSO%20PRODUCTS

308 ar10
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-kits/rifle-cleaning-kits/ar-308-brush-set-sku073000008-54386-105583.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopping-_-Ar-Style%20.308%20Cleaning%20Brush%20Set&gdftrk=gdfV2 1820_a_7c187_a_7c1021_a_7c073000008_d_073000008_d_ 21255

one of which is big enough to ream out the upper

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

i use very few cleaning products these days. hoppes 9 solvent and hoppes basic gun oil (teflon free). a foaming bore cleaner (no ammonia), and slip 2000 just to lube on my semi autos (great stuff).

really good ideas, i like the ideas of wrapping the brush in a patch, and the toothbrush w/ a cloth. i'll try that out...sounds like it'll work.

hmm...but i was told you need to clean the gas tube once in awhile. they even make the little pipe cleaner doohickeys....i just bought some....

again thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You can soak the bolt over nite in hoppes 9 stay away from harsh amonia based stuff like sweets a copper foul outs. I do not believe they should be near a firearm much less used on one. Best tool for getting hard fouling is a cat m4 tool. Just do not grind away with it as its metal on metal. Only light touch is need.

Ar15/m16 chamber brush. Soak brush in solvent using a t-handle rotate brush in chamber and lucking lugs. Wrap one 308 pat around fat part of the brush to clean debris repeat as needed. Qtips wrapped in a patch for mopping up.

Upper receiver rag with solvent wrapped around a big tothbrush get after it.

Lower is just qtips and patches and clp do not use solvent on the lower you won't get it out without a tear down.

Gas tube inside is self cleaning. Outside just like anything else.

Light coat of clp after its all done.

What I do to make cleaning easy is I never use sewing machine oils like rem oil or penetrants like kroil (however its spelled). I use 30w motor oil nondetergent as a lube. The crud never gets a chance to adhere in a solid fashion so a quick wipe is all you really need on anything

Old 07-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #9

outstanding! thank you for taking the time to find that!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

hmm...but i was told you need to clean the gas tube once in awhile. they even make the little pipe cleaner doohickeys....i just bought some....

again thanks for the ideas.
nope. its made up by guys that like to sell pipe cleaners... if you suspect its clogged its better to get a new one because the chrome on the inside is worn and it will just clog again. the gas tube is like the gas rings, springs, extractor, bolt wear replaced item. in all my time shooting blanks in the army which are insanely dirty i've never ever seen a gas tube clog. ive heard about it never witnessed it

your welcome

Last edited by JonM; 07-18-2014 at 12:58 AM.