need an AR - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1366 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis

Thanks. I would actually prefer not to build but was a little tempted. I did use an ar overseas but there are a lot of options on the civilian side. I live in the southeast and want something that in a pinch could double as a hunting rifle as well as self defense. I was hoping I could overcome some of the shortcomings in rangs and light round with quality rifle and ammo. Wont be shooting tracers. The bells and whistles Ill get seperately but dont reall want to budget more rhan a grand for rifle.
If you want to double-duty as a hunting rifle, the best thing you could do is opt for a longer barrel (higher velocity, better accuracy) as that will get better performance out of all ammo. Your choice of ammo will determine the best twist rate, but since 55gr is the standard surplus size and you can get match grade 55gr, then possibly looking for a longer barrel, 1 in 9 twist would give you the rifle to handle hunting chores and self defense. Oh, and like some others here, both PSA or BCM would be great companies to get an affordable, reliable firearm from.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #12

Liked 250 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis View Post
Ok. So gonna buy an AR soon. In the environment in which I live I think a 556 would be the most suitable caliber. Was considering an ar 10 but the ammo cost and weight and living in a populated area makes me think 556. Also I trained with it a lot in the military and I am comfortable with it and have other rifles in bigger calibers as well.
Questions.....
What is the best quality AR I can get?
What price range am I looking at?
What is the best ammo?
Can I , and is it advisable, to seek ammo that is higher than 55 gr if I have a high quality rifle?
If so where do I find it?
Will I save significantly if I build my own AR?

Just tryin to get a good general idea without havin to read through everything on the site. Price range is dependent on the size of my expected insurance check but it will be enough to buy something of quality. Thanks in advance for your help.
http://nemoarms.com/
Here is the most expensive AR I have ever come across. Don't know how good it is, it just looks cool. 100,000 bucks.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
http://nemoarms.com/
Here is the most expensive AR I have ever come across. Don't know how good it is, it just looks cool. 100,000 bucks.
C'mon, that is a one off. You can have a real deal for like $49,950... LOL