Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default need an AR

Ok. So gonna buy an AR soon. In the environment in which I live I think a 556 would be the most suitable caliber. Was considering an ar 10 but the ammo cost and weight and living in a populated area makes me think 556. Also I trained with it a lot in the military and I am comfortable with it and have other rifles in bigger calibers as well.
Questions.....
What is the best quality AR I can get?
What price range am I looking at?
What is the best ammo?
Can I , and is it advisable, to seek ammo that is higher than 55 gr if I have a high quality rifle?
If so where do I find it?
Will I save significantly if I build my own AR?

Just tryin to get a good general idea without havin to read through everything on the site. Price range is dependent on the size of my expected insurance check but it will be enough to buy something of quality. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hope you have a far wallet. The "top teir" ARs are well over $1000.00. Thats all I can tell ya ATM.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #3

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackbottomLouis View Post
Ok. So gonna buy an AR soon. In the environment in which I live I think a 556 would be the most suitable caliber. Was considering an ar 10 but the ammo cost and weight and living in a populated area makes me think 556. Also I trained with it a lot in the military and I am comfortable with it and have other rifles in bigger calibers as well.
Questions.....
What is the best ammo?
Can I , and is it advisable, to seek ammo that is higher than 55 gr if I have a high quality rifle?

Just tryin to get a good general idea without havin to read through everything on the site. Price range is dependent on the size of my expected insurance check but it will be enough to buy something of quality. Thanks in advance for your help.

1-That's quite a long list...Colt, BCM comes to mind...

2-$1000 plus...

3-If it doesn't shoot the best match grade ammo AND the crappy bottom shelf stuff equally as well, (sans accuracy) you got the wrong gun...

4-What's your twist rate? 55gr is too light for say a 1/7 twist, but great in 1/9...

5-Internet, LGS, Wal-Mart...

6-You betcha you'll save, might even have money left over for some gadgets and gizmos for it...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 09-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1283 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 596

This is a huge list when you include all of the brands that are very good but have an affordable price tag: BCM, Spikes, Stag, Rock River Arms - the list of manufacturers is huge (there is a list on another thread).

Saw one at a gun show yesterday that topped out over $3000 with bells and whistles.

What is the best ammo?

The 5.56 round that will fire most accurately and most reliably in your rifle is different than everyone else. There is no substitute for trying every possible brand, weight, type until you find the best combination for your rifle.

See above. The 1 in 7 twist the military uses was originally decided upon because it was the best compromise between the 55gr FMJ round and their 70gr tracer. If you are not firing tracer rounds, then a lot of people feel the 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist is better for the standard 55gr round. Varminting rifles get into a whole different line of specs.

Online retailers, gun shows, sporting goods stores for the ammo. All the info you need is right here in the AR-15 forum! Just CLICK HERE and read.

About $200-400 is average, but seriously consider if you have th patience to wait for parts to ship, returning defective parts for replacement and waiting again, and all of the waiting that goes along with it. If it's your first AR and you have insurance money, it's probably a good idea to get it in one piece and learn about it first.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 09-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.
CrackbottomLouis Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #5

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

This is a huge list when you include all of the brands that are very good but have an affordable price tag: BCM, Spikes, Stag, Rock River Arms - the list of manufacturers is huge (there is a list on another thread).

Saw one at a gun show yesterday that topped out over $3000 with bells and whistles.

What is the best ammo?

The 5.56 round that will fire most accurately and most reliably in your rifle is different than everyone else. There is no substitute for trying every possible brand, weight, type until you find the best combination for your rifle.

See above. The 1 in 7 twist the military uses was originally decided upon because it was the best compromise between the 55gr FMJ round and their 70gr tracer. If you are not firing tracer rounds, then a lot of people feel the 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist is better for the standard 55gr round. Varminting rifles get into a whole different line of specs.

Online retailers, gun shows, sporting goods stores for the ammo. All the info you need is right here in the AR-15 forum! Just CLICK HERE and read.

About $200-400 is average, but seriously consider if you have th patience to wait for parts to ship, returning defective parts for replacement and waiting again, and all of the waiting that goes along with it. If it's your first AR and you have insurance money, it's probably a good idea to get it in one piece and learn about it first.
Thanks. I would actually prefer not to build but was a little tempted. I did use an ar overseas but there are a lot of options on the civilian side. I live in the southeast and want something that in a pinch could double as a hunting rifle as well as self defense. I was hoping I could overcome some of the shortcomings in rangs and light round with quality rifle and ammo. Wont be shooting tracers. The bells and whistles Ill get seperately but dont reall want to budget more rhan a grand for rifle.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I dont honestly know which is the best but this looks like a pretty good deal.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-patrol-rifle-package.html?utm_source=Weekend+Deals&utm_campaign =Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I would look at windham arms the guy that started Bushmaster owns it so basically you get Bushmaster several years ago quality for good price.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #8

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

I recommend PSA as well if you want to keep the price down. Take a look at the AR Primer sticky for guidance on configurations, etc. My preference is for the 16" light weight midlength. If you don't mind kicking in another hundred or two then BCM would be a smart move.

Buying a complete factory upper to drop on a lower you built up from a stripped receiver is a very popular way to go. I've done it four times and have been pleased each time.

ETA:
This is the PSA upper I recently ordered. Hoping to get it this week. A similar BCM version would cost $130 or so more. Both were in stock as of this morning. (To complete either upper would require the BCG, charging handle, rear sight and maybe handguards/rails depending on your preference.)
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/mid-light-profile-premium-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-17-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Also look at the S&W M&P, not a bad gun IMO. I love mine, but hey I love all AR's lol

new-setup.jpg   slide.jpg  

S&W M&P Sport
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE Grip
B.A.D lever
Bi Pod
Ladder rails
Quad rails
Single point sling/ Adaptor
Red Dot, light & Laser
Fore Grip

Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off "The Best" isn't a production gun, it's a special build in limited qualities and the houses that do that haven't been named. The people that buy these guns either have too much money, or they are SERIOUS competitors or working for a PMC that gives them a weapon allowance.

You live in an urban environment, thus you don't think the AR-10 would be worthwhile.

Okay, you don't need an 800 yard tack driver then. Right?

You need an urban combat model that can hit minute of goblin, time after time, with 100% reliability. Yes?

If that is the case than purchasing for specific ammo, like one would do as a competitor or a varmint shooter, is pointless. Unless you are going to buy a pallet of the stuff and keep it on hand you are going to want a rifle that will shoot what is available in your area.

Maybe they don't have XM193 around you, but they have a ton of Remington .223? Well, guess what you will be shooting if the SHTF.

So don't worry about match grade ammo, or buying for one specific bullet. You aren't talking about the type of rifle that needs that category narrowed down so specifically.

As to cost, that comes down to the old adage of how big is your wallet? You can shop and find deals and get into a good rifle for, probably, $750 in this market that will do what you want to do. You can also drop $3000 on a Larue in one click of the mouse.

I support the idea that people should at least build their lower so they know how the damn thing works. Shooting one and cleaning one while in the service is awesome. MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE BTW! But knowing the ins and outs and what holds what in place and why is invaluable information when you need to field diagnose a problem.

So, just some things to think about. There are TONS of threads here in this section that will give you more information than you can realistically process. I would start there, better outline the gun you "need" as opposed to broad brushing a "best" rifle.

You'll be money ahead in the long run with a little research now.

JD

Newest Threads