Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need advise on daniel defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need advise on daniel defense

im new to the site and somewhat new to the ar15 thing...so first off ,hi to all the members and you guys and gals are a fountain of great info...guess i got the ar bug 15 years ago when i shot a buddies bushmaster.... So to get on with it, im looking on dropping some cash on a ar 15...i was looking on getting a ddm4 from of course "daniel defense.." money range under 2000thounsand..using it on target pratice and in case the shtf. down the road pimping it out with a scope and some ect... dont want to build first time around.....want to shoot 5.56/.223 shell.. can you guys give me any suggestions on if im going with the correct gun for the money..and do any of you have the daniel defense ar 15...stuck on what version i would go with...they all look awesome... im not new to guns, just to the ar 15 world...any info would help... lot of money ,not to be satisfied...but really want a top tier ar15...if im going in its with both feet.....and a empty wallet..lol thanks guys...cory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Welcome to FTF, stop by the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

The DD is a good choice from everything I've heard, though no personal experience.

Also look at Noveske, BCM and PSA. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be by shortly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just give it a few min and you will be hearing all the well deserved praise around here that DD gets. My dad has had one for a couple of years and has loved it, it runs flawless. You need to go youtube the daniel defense torture test its pretty fun to watch. Welcome aboard!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I'm pleased with my DD upper, it's a 16" lightweight midlength which makes a light carbine. DD is an excellent choice in a duty style AR as is BCM or Colt. My build is like a M4V3 but with Magpul MOE handguards. Or like a BCM Model 0.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome. Stop by the intro thread. I have two-the v2 and the newer v4D. Love em both and both are set up for a specific thing. Each has a different use that overlaps the others uses.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

With a very generous $2k budget you have so many more options. DD is great, but there's also LarRue, Knights Armaments, Noveske, JP Enterprises, Lewis Machine and Tool, Black Rain Ordinance and many more.

Shop around or build ur very own.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm99
im new to the site and somewhat new to the ar15 thing...so first off ,hi to all the members and you guys and gals are a fountain of great info...guess i got the ar bug 15 years ago when i shot a buddies bushmaster.... So to get on with it, im looking on dropping some cash on a ar 15...i was looking on getting a ddm4 from of course "daniel defense.." money range under 2000thounsand..using it on target pratice and in case the shtf. down the road pimping it out with a scope and some ect... dont want to build first time around.....want to shoot 5.56/.223 shell.. can you guys give me any suggestions on if im going with the correct gun for the money..and do any of you have the daniel defense ar 15...stuck on what version i would go with...they all look awesome... im not new to guns, just to the ar 15 world...any info would help... lot of money ,not to be satisfied...but really want a top tier ar15...if im going in its with both feet.....and a empty wallet..lol thanks guys...cory
You're making a great choice. I have a DD, nothing fancy just standard flat top ar. I don't have an optic on it yet, just graduated highschool...will be buying a trijicon acog while I'm home on xmas exodus during basic. I threw a magpul buis on it and at 50 yards I was shooting clover leafs and smashing copenhagen cans. That was with bulk federal ammo from wally world. It will cycle steel just fine, just keep the gun clean.

I would recommend getting a troy rear sight, once I get some extra cash I will be throwing one on.

You are definitely going in the right direction. I know I will be looking at a BCM for my next purchase and plan on picking another DD up. I just hope they make a 308 in the near future.

And welcome to the forum

Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I almost bought a Daniel Defense AR-15 last year when I was looking for a new patrol rifle for duty carry. I did a lot of research and I loved my Rock River rifle. I decided on an LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool). LMT is mil-spec and manufactured for our military. I'm actually selling mine right now since I have a new issued rifle (LMT) and I could use the money. If you're interested in one of the best rifles out there let me know. But just in case, here are some info and pics of mine:

I am selling my LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool) AR-15. This is a "Law Enforcement/Government Use Only" marked lower receiver. It is only a year old and less than 1,000 rounds down range. Cleaned after every outing. This sale does not include the EOTech HWS or suppresor.

LMT Defender (LMT matched upper and lower)
16" barrel with 1:7 twist
Full-auto bolt carrier group
LMT 2-stage trigger group
Troy free floating rails
Troy Battle Rails
Troy Flip-Up BUIS
Magpul FDE Rail Covers
Magpul FDE MOE butt stock
ERGO FDE pistol grip
Noveske QD End Plate for swivel attachment (swivel not included)
Midwest Industries Front Sling Adapter with Stud
1 Magpul FDE 30 Round Pmag

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #9

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 View Post
... plan on picking another DD up. I just hope they make a 308 in the near future...
Look at DD's Ambush hunting line.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Daniel Defense is a fine rifle. There are some others that are high quality also. Rock River Arms, LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool) Stag and a few others. But if you are set toward the DD that is a good choice also.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy