Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   need advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/need-advice-34314/)

yankeebasser 11-13-2010 12:11 AM

need advice

I'm getting ready to purchase a new rifle. I'm considering an ar-15 from Stag because they build them for us southpaws. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

JonM 11-13-2010 01:17 AM

from what i understand stag is one of the better ar15 makers. i dont personally own a stag. mine are Colt RRA Ruger and DPMS

M14sRock 11-13-2010 01:45 AM

I've got a couple of Stags and they are GTG. No lefties, though.

rhevans 11-13-2010 06:13 PM

Go with the Stag. Well made and very dependable.

KartoffelSalat 11-16-2010 01:41 PM

OK i shoot long guns southpawed....only cause im left eye dominant, but what I HAVE noticed....STAG's lefty carbines still have right handed controls, only difference being the ejection port (4 years using an M16 and never been hit in the face with brass yet)

i could be wrong though

blackburn2413 11-16-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeebasser (Post 385274)
I'm getting ready to purchase a new rifle. I'm considering an ar-15 from Stag because they build them for us southpaws. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I built my AR a couple years ago and used a Stag flat-top upper. I could not be more pleased with my purchase. It all fits and performs perfectly. I'd support the choice of a Stag for what it's worth ;)

Squirrel_Slayer 11-16-2010 03:46 PM

You are correct in that Stag does make some of their upper for Southpaws, and I believe they may come with an ambi safety on them allowing you to work the safety with your left hand, and the ping pong paddle is right there by your left fore finger, so you should be able to go.

Just another option though, you can shoot any style upper from any maker if you put a brass catcher on your rifle. Then you won't have the brass flying across your field of vision, and you won't have to sweep it up at the range. Easier to collect your own brass if you reload too. That will give you some other options as far as rifles other than Stag. Brass catchers are cheap, like 15.00$.

JonM 11-16-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 387552)
Brass catchers are cheap, like 15.00$.

7.99 at midway till end of the month. i got one they have on sale now works well on my ruger 44 carbine too. works on a lot more than just AR's handy tool

Squirrel_Slayer 11-16-2010 05:04 PM

You bet! I think they should be mandatory at ranges for all semi auto rifles so you are not throwing hot brass at the guy or gal sitting next to you. Bad range etiquete to toss brass down someone's shirt or hit them in the head!

mach1337 11-16-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 387597)
You bet! I think they should be mandatory at ranges for all semi auto rifles so you are not throwing hot brass at the guy or gal sitting next to you. Bad range etiquete to toss brass down someone's shirt or hit them in the head!

all too true. everytime we have to requal with the m-16 i get someone thats throwin brass down my shirt or in my face especially when were shootin prone. never fails