need 1-4 scope recommendations - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need 1-4 scope recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2681 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Exactly.
Same setup here. Edit: before that I used the FireDot. It was fine, but had to moved to my 22 bolt action.

Last edited by Mercator; 12-08-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #12

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Im not sure what your wanting to spend but I have a Brunton 1.5-5 on my 7.62x39 AR and it works pretty good . I think i paid less than $100 on ebay, new . The first one had issues but Brunton took care of it very quickly . They have a U proof warranty , if you accidentally , not purposely run it over they will replace it . Turrets pull up and turn to reset to zero , its not a nikon but its still a great scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
probably covered a million times....so I this thread is covered elsewhere, a link is fine.

looking for a scope....

I want: 1-4 power, for use as "irons" and some magnification. I would prefer compact (less or close to than 10" length), and a reticle that is clear and not overly busy. illuminated is ok, not required....but it must be decently visible in full sunlight. target cost $300ish (hopefully less). much more would make me tempted to step up to an eotech.....and I really do want a bit of magnification.

I just bought a bushnell 1-4 illuminated ar scope which seemed to fit the bill. but it has some concerns and may be going back (I haven't been able to test it in full sunlight, but on the overcast days we have had recently, it doesn't seem it will be bright enough to be visible in full daylight).

any recommendations. I saw the burris fullfield tac30, but it is a bit bigger than I wanted. might overlook that if the illumination is good.

a simple good quality 1-4 with a normal crosshair will do....but most are larger than I want.

any recommendations appreciated.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 12-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #13

Liked 3147 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.
that makes perfect sense. I am hoping for a happy compromise between speed and precision. like an eotech w/ magnifier for a poor man.....

or could it be I am hoping for the perfect optic that doesn't exist?

anyway....I need to stay sub $300 if possible, anything more and I would be too tempted to just save up a bit more for an eotech.

I think a good 1-4 scope with a uncluttered reticle is more what I want. but it needs to be 10" or less or imo, it becomes to big and bulky for a 16" carbine.

here are some I am looking at:

primary arms 1-6:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-ACSS-Reticle-p/pa1-6xrbd.htm

like the idea on this one, but does the illumination wash out....is the reticle small, cluttered? haven't been able to get much real info on this one.

burris fullfeild tac30:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/994114/burris-fullfield-tac30-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-1-2-moa-adjustments-illuminated-ballistic-cq-reticle-matte

looks like a winner in many ways. pushing it on the $ I want to spend, and at 11" too big imo. not sure again on that reticle.

Nikon m-223 1-4:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786479/nikon-m-223-rifle-scope-1-4x-20mm-point-blank-reticle-matte

again, pushing price. reticle looks good. almost too big.

weaver 1-3:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183610/weaver-classic-v-series-rifle-scope-1-3x-20mm-dual-x-reticle-matte

i'm actually leaning this way a bit. decent price, like the reticle. compact.

open to any thoughts or if anyone has experience with these.

any others ideas always appreciated.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #14

[QUOTE=p35bhp55;1452668 What Bushnell do you have?[/QUOTE]

I got the bushnell AR 1-4 illuminated scope with the power control lever. good idea for sure.....not sure i'm really happy with the reality of it though. it seems to do well EXCEPT in 1X....i'm not really digging that. I really liked the power control lever though.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2681 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

I had a Nikon 223. Excellent all around. Agreed, the reticle could be smaller, there is a tactical bias to it. The most important quality of any scope is holding zero, and that the Nikon did flawlessly on a 5.56 rifle.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I had a Nikon 223. Excellent all around. Agreed, the reticle could be smaller, there is a tactical bias to it. The most important quality of any scope is holding zero, and that the Nikon did flawlessly on a 5.56 rifle.
I think i'm down to (in order):

Nikon m223.....found a sale that is tipping me that way
weaver classic v.......really like the size of this scope
Nikon monarch African........need to look through this one
Mueller speed shot........this look basically like a magnified red dot....but is it good?
primary arms 1-6.......good size, ilumin, etc......just seems like too little info out there.

i'm moving away from illumination I think, not completely against it right now, but i'm thinking illuminated scopes mostly can't do what I want them to do.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
I got the bushnell AR 1-4 illuminated scope with the power control lever. good idea for sure.....not sure i'm really happy with the reality of it though. it seems to do well EXCEPT in 1X....i'm not really digging that. I really liked the power control lever though.
the bushnell is going back. it presented some great ideas, but didn't deliver imo. the illumination is too weak, and I really dislike the reticle.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #18

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

The Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x is the ticket. Light (9oz.), under 10 inch length, very clear, great reticle ( the SPR) and the best illumination I've seen in a $400 scope. The dang Burris PEPR Q.D. mount I bought weighs almost as much as my scope.The Green FireDot is easily visible in bright daylight, but has many setting so you can use it for night time pig hunting, etc. Same motion sensor technology as the pricier VXR and VX6 line. Reticle is easy to pick up for fast up close shooting and allows precise shooting for longer ranges. The SPR has holdover marks out to 800 meters for the 62 gr. FMJ, while the elevation turret is calibrated for 55 gr. loads. Their custom shop can make a turret for any load you want, 68 gr., 77 gr., whatever, just provide them with all the info. I believe the cost for a custom elevation turret is $35. But the reticle hold overs are much quicker than taking your eyes off the target and clicking your turret. I have shot mine only out to 500, and out to there the holdover marks are right on. $400 is a screamin' price considering this optic has many of the features of Leupold's high dollar tactical scopes.

dsc01402.jpg   dsc01396.jpg  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #19

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
I think i'm down to (in order):

Nikon m223.....found a sale that is tipping me that way
weaver classic v.......really like the size of this scope
Nikon monarch African........need to look through this one
Mueller speed shot........this look basically like a magnified red dot....but is it good?
primary arms 1-6.......good size, ilumin, etc......just seems like too little info out there.

i'm moving away from illumination I think, not completely against it right now, but i'm thinking illuminated scopes mostly can't do what I want them to do.
Heres a look through the Nikon Monarch Africa ,German#4 reticle .Very very very clear . Is there any reason you really need illumination ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Heres a look through the Nikon Monarch Africa ,German#4 reticle .Very very very clear . Is there any reason you really need illumination ?

Not really. Even with a LE use you would have to 'illuminate' the target to ID it. I have found while doing entry/room clearing the lighted recital is actual a distraction and caused your brain/eye to focus on the recital rather than the environment. But were I do like the lighted recital is when I am hunting in low light or after dark (hogs) and if I use my green laser light the red recital was very visible and in contrast to the target lit in green.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Mercator Likes This