need 1-4 scope recommendations
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > need 1-4 scope recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

Default need 1-4 scope recommendations

probably covered a million times....so I this thread is covered elsewhere, a link is fine.

looking for a scope....

I want: 1-4 power, for use as "irons" and some magnification. I would prefer compact (less or close to than 10" length), and a reticle that is clear and not overly busy. illuminated is ok, not required....but it must be decently visible in full sunlight. target cost $300ish (hopefully less). much more would make me tempted to step up to an eotech.....and I really do want a bit of magnification.

I just bought a bushnell 1-4 illuminated ar scope which seemed to fit the bill. but it has some concerns and may be going back (I haven't been able to test it in full sunlight, but on the overcast days we have had recently, it doesn't seem it will be bright enough to be visible in full daylight).

any recommendations. I saw the burris fullfield tac30, but it is a bit bigger than I wanted. might overlook that if the illumination is good.

a simple good quality 1-4 with a normal crosshair will do....but most are larger than I want.

any recommendations appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #2

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've heard very good reviews on the Primary Arms 1-4 or 1-6 Models. There's also Mueller, Vortex.

I have the Bushnell AR 1-4 BDC Model and I really like it.

Looked at the Illuminated Throw down model and it was too cluttered for me, and without the Illumination the Dot couldn't be seen on Power 1 and barely on Power 2. I'm also hearing reports of washout in bright light.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I am happy with the Leupold Firedot 1.5-4x. At 1.5x it is practically a red dot sight.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #4

Liked 326 Times on 181 Posts

Hi-Lux CMR

Last edited by indy36; 12-08-2013 at 04:48 AM.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1872

thanks for the input, gents.

I will check out your suggestions. any other ideas appreciated.

i'm leaning towards a weaver 1-3 at the moment.

its small, has a simple reticle, (no illum., but I can live with that). I just want a compact, variable low power scope, and works well at 1X and low power magnification. something I could use to easily pop cans at 15 yards and then turn around and make shots on larger targets at 100 and 200 and maybe 300 yards.

would a red dot serve me better? I think I shoot much better at distance with magnification though.....my eyes are not the best.

the bushnell I bought is almost perfect. but I dislike the reticle and the illumination appears to be inadequate. it is FFP, which I like in some ways.....but seems to make the scope less effective at 1X.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

its small, has a simple reticle, (no illum., but I can live with that). I just want a compact, variable low power scope, and works well at 1X and low power magnification. something I could use to easily pop cans at 15 yards and then turn around and make shots on larger targets at 100 and 200 and maybe 300 yards.

would a red dot serve me better? I think I shoot much better at distance with magnification though.....my eyes are not the best.

the bushnell I bought is almost perfect. but I dislike the reticle and the illumination appears to be inadequate. it is FFP, which I like in some ways.....but seems to make the scope less effective at 1X.
For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #7

Liked 252 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

http://www.basspro.com/Nikon-P223-AR-Riflescope/product/1310311530/?cm_sp=CybrWebBtsNov2013_EMAIL&om_rid=JlDsPs&om_mi d=_BSpHt4B821QHnr

Bass Pro Nikon P223 on sale now for $99 !!! Perfect scope for the AR and a great price. 3X power so not overpowered at close range.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-08-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #8

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post

I ended up with a Leo 1.5x4 in Warne rings because I didn't want a big scope on my Tactical. Also could never latch on to the 30 mm Warnes. Tried to get your old ones from Steve but missed him. The tiny bit of magnification doesn't matter that I can see. What Bushnell do you have?

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.
Exactly.

so I made my gun able to have both for different situations with quick detachable scopes

Old 12-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 930

MTAC 1x4 by Burris is what I settled on. I used the 1x4 Leopold for many years. When I first tried the MTAC I did not like the radical but the more I used it the better I liked it. I guess it just took some getting use to.
And yes a 1x or 1.5x is as good as any 'dot' sight for close work.
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!