Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   need 1-4 scope recommendations (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/need-1-4-scope-recommendations-101291/)

hawkguy 12-07-2013 09:45 PM

need 1-4 scope recommendations

probably covered a million times....so I this thread is covered elsewhere, a link is fine.

looking for a scope....:p

I want: 1-4 power, for use as "irons" and some magnification. I would prefer compact (less or close to than 10" length), and a reticle that is clear and not overly busy. illuminated is ok, not required....but it must be decently visible in full sunlight. target cost $300ish (hopefully less). much more would make me tempted to step up to an eotech.....and I really do want a bit of magnification.

I just bought a bushnell 1-4 illuminated ar scope which seemed to fit the bill. but it has some concerns and may be going back (I haven't been able to test it in full sunlight, but on the overcast days we have had recently, it doesn't seem it will be bright enough to be visible in full daylight).

any recommendations. I saw the burris fullfield tac30, but it is a bit bigger than I wanted. might overlook that if the illumination is good.

a simple good quality 1-4 with a normal crosshair will do....but most are larger than I want.

any recommendations appreciated.

Triumphman 12-07-2013 11:01 PM

I've heard very good reviews on the Primary Arms 1-4 or 1-6 Models. There's also Mueller, Vortex.

I have the Bushnell AR 1-4 BDC Model and I really like it.

Looked at the Illuminated Throw down model and it was too cluttered for me, and without the Illumination the Dot couldn't be seen on Power 1 and barely on Power 2. I'm also hearing reports of washout in bright light.

Mercator 12-08-2013 03:34 AM

I am happy with the Leupold Firedot 1.5-4x. At 1.5x it is practically a red dot sight.

indy36 12-08-2013 03:38 AM

Hi-Lux CMR

hawkguy 12-08-2013 04:38 PM

thanks for the input, gents.

I will check out your suggestions. any other ideas appreciated.

i'm leaning towards a weaver 1-3 at the moment.

its small, has a simple reticle, (no illum., but I can live with that). I just want a compact, variable low power scope, and works well at 1X and low power magnification. something I could use to easily pop cans at 15 yards and then turn around and make shots on larger targets at 100 and 200 and maybe 300 yards.

would a red dot serve me better? I think I shoot much better at distance with magnification though.....my eyes are not the best.

the bushnell I bought is almost perfect. but I dislike the reticle and the illumination appears to be inadequate. it is FFP, which I like in some ways.....but seems to make the scope less effective at 1X.

Mercator 12-08-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1452636)

its small, has a simple reticle, (no illum., but I can live with that). I just want a compact, variable low power scope, and works well at 1X and low power magnification. something I could use to easily pop cans at 15 yards and then turn around and make shots on larger targets at 100 and 200 and maybe 300 yards.

would a red dot serve me better? I think I shoot much better at distance with magnification though.....my eyes are not the best.

the bushnell I bought is almost perfect. but I dislike the reticle and the illumination appears to be inadequate. it is FFP, which I like in some ways.....but seems to make the scope less effective at 1X.

For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.

dwmiller 12-08-2013 04:56 PM

http://www.basspro.com/Nikon-P223-AR-Riflescope/product/1310311530/?cm_sp=CybrWebBtsNov2013_EMAIL&om_rid=JlDsPs&om_mi d=_BSpHt4B821QHnr

Bass Pro Nikon P223 on sale now for $99 !!! Perfect scope for the AR and a great price. 3X power so not overpowered at close range.

p35bhp55 12-08-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1452636)

I ended up with a Leo 1.5x4 in Warne rings because I didn't want a big scope on my Tactical. Also could never latch on to the 30 mm Warnes. Tried to get your old ones from Steve but missed him. The tiny bit of magnification doesn't matter that I can see. What Bushnell do you have?

Anna_Purna 12-08-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1452649)
For speed, you can't beat the red dot. For precision, the scope wins.

Exactly.

so I made my gun able to have both for different situations with quick detachable scopes
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52f81088.jpg
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...psc690849d.jpg

JimRau 12-08-2013 05:19 PM

MTAC 1x4 by Burris is what I settled on. I used the 1x4 Leopold for many years. When I first tried the MTAC I did not like the radical but the more I used it the better I liked it. I guess it just took some getting use to.
And yes a 1x or 1.5x is as good as any 'dot' sight for close work.
Hope this helped.
Jim