My thoughts about MAGPUL-P Mags and Smith&Wesson AR-15s. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My thoughts about MAGPUL-P Mags and Smith&Wesson AR-15s.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I have never had to sand my PMags. They have always fit in every lower Ive put them into.

Are you bitching about something that happens 4 years ago?

I do know 11Bs are using PMags in combat. Its not just private contractors. PMags do have a NSN.

Manufacturers are equipping their mags w/ Magpul followers because people are demanding them because they are proven to be better/ more reliable.

Don't mean to argue but it sounds like you're trying to take a very isolated incident and trying to portray it as a daily occurrence at a highly respected manufacturers facility. I don't think you'll get to far around here or anywhere else.
Maybe you just missed it I said it was four years ago the MAGPUL Mags did not work in my S&W AR15T and it was not just S&W that they did not fit in all the time. Today I don't read of this problem anymore.
Mr. Drake and I had a major disagreement about the need for metal feed lips. Since MAGPUL-P Mags don't have metal feed lips, I can understand Drake defending that they are unneeded. But a lot of people besides me think they are a real important item.
As for the MAGPUL followers being more reliable and people demanding them, it's news to me. There is a lot more involved with a rifle that has problems with feeding Ammo. it's not always because of the Mags follower.
IMHO MAGPUL does a lot of powerful marketing about their non tilting followers.
I have hundreds of AR Mags all kinds and none have had follower problems. People just picked up on forum threads about the green metal followers being bad, then all green follower were now suspect.
MAGPUL just used it to promote their followers, people buy them because other people say they are better more reliable.
I sure have not noticed a problem with the old green followers.
On another subject:
Now I have seen a lot of our GIs picking up AKs after a fire fight, but I have never found a Taliban with and AR. Now this tells this guy something.
__________________

Last edited by rifleshooter474; 07-12-2011 at 01:05 AM.
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,571
Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
... On another subject:
Now I have seen a lot of our GIs picking up AKs after a fire fight, but I have never found a Taliban with and AR. Now this tells this guy something.
What, that he's not the brightest star in the sky? Besides, we tend to win firefights thank God so guess which weapons are left on the ground?

We all know the AK is tough but anyone with half a brain can buy or build an extremely reliable AR. Uncle Sam issues a pretty darn good one too.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,649
Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Maybe you just missed it I said it was four years ago the MAGPUL Mags did not work in my S&W AR15T and it was not just S&W that they did not fit in all the time. Today I don't read of this problem anymore.
Mr. Drake and I had a major disagreement about the need for metal feed lips. Since MAGPUL-P Mags don't have metal feed lips, I can understand Drake defending that they are unneeded. But a lot of people besides me think they are a real important item.
As for the MAGPUL followers being more reliable and people demanding them, it's news to me. There is a lot more involved with a rifle that has problems with feeding Ammo. it's not always because of the Mags follower.
IMHO MAGPUL does a lot of powerful marketing about their non tilting followers.
I have hundreds of AR Mags all kinds and none have had follower problems. People just picked up on forum threads about the green metal followers being bad, then all green follower were now suspect.
MAGPUL just used it to promote their followers, people buy them because other people say they are better more reliable.
I sure have not noticed a problem with the old green followers.
On another subject:
Now I have seen a lot of our GIs picking up AKs after a fire fight, but I have never found a Taliban with and AR. Now this tells this guy something.
you wont notice a difference in followers unless your firing a lot of full auto or 3 round burst. semi auto follower type doesnt make a bit of diff as you cant fire fast enough for follower tilt to be an issue. even bump firing is too slow for it to be a factor. its like m4 feed ramps just not needed in semi-auto applications.

if i ever get approval for my M16A1 you can be sure im going to be using anti tilt follwers.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
What, that he's not the brightest star in the sky? Besides, we tend to win firefights thank God so guess which weapons are left on the ground?

We all know the AK is tough but anyone with half a brain can buy or build an extremely reliable AR. Uncle Sam issues a pretty darn good one too.
So tell me have you shot many AKs? Do you own any AKs? I am not saying our M4s and AR16s are not good I did not say this.
__________________
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Soldiers picking up AKs? Never happened when we were over there.

Quentin, made a good point. Hard to pick up an enimies weapon when your running away and or dead

So if this happened 4 years ago and the problem has been corrected what's the purpose of this thread?

This thread is pointless and needs to be locked.

__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Soldiers picking up AKs? Never happened when we were over there.

Quentin, made a good point. Hard to pick up an enimies weapon when your running away and or dead

So if this happened 4 years ago and the problem has been corrected what's the purpose of this thread?

This thread is pointless and needs to be locked.
Well lock it Mr. MAGPUL guy. FAD
__________________
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,649
Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default

i wouldnt call him a fanboy just cuz this thread has gone from a discussion to name calling.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Well lock it Mr. MAGPUL guy. FAD
Far from a fan boy. However, I am a man of taste and good judgment

I asked a couple simple legitimate questions that you answer w/ name calling.

From the very beginning I could tell you were to emotionally involved to think clearly therefore making your thread about a problem that is 4 years old pointless.

Magpul is a well respected company that sells a lot of product based on real world testing. Your tinfoil, they only sell stuff because of internet propaganda, conspiracy theory BS is ridiculous. Many a haji has met ala from rounds fed through PMags. Your claims of not being defense /combat worthy are not true.

Once again why create a thread about a problem that happened four years ago and has been remedied? Not trying to get personal. I ask because I'm trying to understand. Sim-Ah

And like I eluded to earlier I believe theres more to the story than we're being told. A company that is willing to give stuff away in instances of loss by the end user is not going to say those things, unprovoked.
__________________

Last edited by mjkeat; 07-12-2011 at 03:26 AM.
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,571
Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
So tell me have you shot many AKs? Do you own any AKs? I am not saying our M4s and AR16s are not good I did not say this.
I've shot a few and own the cheapest, crapiest lowest common denominator of an AKM - the WASR-10 which I bought 5 years ago. Still, it's a good rifle and like almost all AKs it is reliable but if I had to defend myself with a battleground pickup, I'd reach for the M4. BTW, I wasn't referring to you with that brightest star comment.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 6,262
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Magpuls -

rifle****ter-

__________________
Gojubrian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Magpul AFG - Thoughts? jakemaenius General Rifle Discussion 5 08-21-2010 01:43 AM
Wts: Magpul pmag black windowed mags $17.95 AnchorArmament Sponsor Display 0 03-18-2009 05:17 AM
Magpul mags fin24000 AR-15 Discussion 14 10-31-2008 01:19 AM