Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My thoughts about MAGPUL-P Mags and Smith&Wesson AR-15s.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default My thoughts about MAGPUL-P Mags and Smith&Wesson AR-15s.

Few years ago I bought a S&W 15T it's a super nice rifle, Troy rails and Troy BUIS.

Like many back then I ordered a few of the new MAGPUL-P Mags to try. The ones I received none of them would not lock into the S&Ws Mag Well.
I called MAGPULs Tech. support and the person I spoke with just informed me it was my S&Ws Mag. Well, and I needed to grind it out to fit the MAGPUL-P
Mags. I asked this person if they would like to inspect my MAGPUL-P Mags his answer was no it's not our problem.
My metal AR-15 Mags fit and drop free so I wondered what is the real deal.

Well I called S&W and spoke to the AR-15 project Engineer he said there was nothing wrong with the S&W Mag Wells they were made to meet the Military Spec. for metal AR-15/16 Mags.

Well I again called MAGPUL and spoke to their Clark Drake he is their sales guiding light.
We had a good talk with him defending his Mags and pointing the problem at my S&W. at some point in a few calls with him things got nasty, with him telling me tpo not ever call him or MAGPUL again.

It really did not pertain anymore with the Mag well fit of my S&W it got down to my feelings that MAGPUL-P Mags are nice range Mags if they will fit your AR but they are not a Defence or Combat ready AR15/16 Mag.

IMHO a Mag must have metal feed lips to be a Defence or Combat ready Mag.
Well Mr. Clark Drake really gave me a dressing down and since hes had me banned many times over from a lot of AR forums.
So much for the MAGPUL-P Mag thoughts.

Now on to S&W and their AR-15s. MAGPUL contacted S&W and got S&W to start opening up their Mag Wells so to fit the many over sized injection molded MAGPUL-P Mags they were getting produced, this being cheaper then addressing the real problem of their MAGPULs quality control problems.

Today S&W is in full bed with MAGPUL using their Rails and their BUISs, I guess when you have deep pockets you can buy yourself into any Company.

__________________
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,468
Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Default

Even though it was frustrating early on it's hard to lay the blame entirely on one or the other since it was a slightly tight magwell and slightly oversize mag. But as you say current S&W lowers don't have a problem with current Magpul mags, in fact S&W magazines today are rebadged Magpul.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Even though it was frustrating early on it's hard to lay the blame entirely on one or the other since it was a slightly tight magwell and slightly oversize mag. But as you say current S&W lowers don't have a problem with current Magpul mags, in fact S&W magazines today are rebadged Magpul.
Yes that is a sad fact that MAGPUL has replaced the metal Mags that first came with the S&W AR15s. with their injected molded P-Mag.

Now I do not mean to bad post the MAGPUL-P Mags, I still content as I always have they are great RANGE Mags. But not having metal feed lips as the Lancer L5 Mags have they should remain RANGE use only.

I still have my AR-15s but have moved into shooting AKs and like with the ARs you can now find a lot of the older metal type mags on the markets, but I like the newer non metal Mags.

But I like metal feed lips and I like metal locking tabs with their steel spines inbeded like in the molded circle ten ((10)) Bulgarian Mags imported and sold by K-Var the people who sell the Arsnel SGL rifles. They are like the Lancer L5 of the AK Mags meaning they are IMHO the best you can buy in non metal.
__________________
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Magpul mags are combat worthy and are being deployed in combat operations as we speak by our door kickers. I believe a foreign army just placed a huge PMag order. What makes you think they are not combat/defensive quality mags?

Im also curious as to how you went about driving a Magpul rep to say such things. Ive had nothing but great experiences w/ them and have read nothing but the same from others. Hell they've even replaced items I broke or lost 100% free of charge w/o question.

Even aluminum and metal mags are being fitted w/ Magpul followers. I have an equal amount of PMags and metal mags, PMags feed more reliably than any mags Ive owned or been issues.

Your issue w/ PMags being slightly thicker can be cured w/ a little sand paper in a matter of minutes. I haven't had to do it as PMags fit perfectly in all of my lowers.

__________________

Last edited by mjkeat; 07-11-2011 at 11:38 PM.
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Car54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sun, Sand, and Palm Trees,Fla.
Posts: 2,114
Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I bought my M&PX 2 years ago and I've used P-mags (14 or 15) since day one without having any type of problem.

__________________

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich


The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Car54 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Magpul mags are combat worthy and are being deployed in combat operations as we speak by our door kickers. I believe a foreign army just placed a huge PMag order. What makes you think they are not combat/defensive quality mags?

Im also curious as to how you went about driving a Magpul rep to say such things. Ive had nothing but great experiences w/ them and have read nothing but the same from others. Hell they've even replaced items I broke or lost 100% free of charge w/o question.

Even aluminum and metal mags are being fitted w/ Magpul followers. I have an equal amount of PMags and metal mags, PMags feed more reliably than any mags Ive owned or been issues.

Your issue w/ PMags being slightly thicker can be cured w/ a little sand paper in a matter of minutes. I haven't had to do it as PMags fit perfectly in all of my lowers.
Maybe some are using them but the Military is not buying or supplying MAGPUL-P Mags to any Combat Soldiers. I have read that some contractors have used them but that's it.

About Sir Drake of MAGPUL Sales and I not seeing eye to eye, I just expected a little more from them and I still feel MAGPUL dodged the real problem. It's been over four years and I am guessing by now they MAGPUL have solved the oversized Mag problems.

Now maybe you like sanding on your Mags, but I don't find this idea I would care doing.

If people feel they need MAGPUL followers it's their money to spend, myself I see no real need for the them. I have never had a problem with a standard Military Mag. or the older Lancer L5 with the green followers.

Now about the metal feed lips I feel having them makes the Mag. a lot stronger and this means it will always feed the Ammo. when needed. The Military asked Lancer to make a non metal AR16 Mag that had metal feed lips and they did just this. Lancer Mags cost more then MAGPUL-P Mags but IMHO they are worth the extra cost.
__________________
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,468
Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Default

I bought my S&W stripped lower two years ago and have a combination of PMAGs and milspec (aluminum). No sticking with any but I know earlier S&W/PMAG combos did. I'm happy with either GI or PMAG but when I'm going to be dropping mags, they're PMAGs not Colt.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
Maybe some are using them but the Military is not buying or supplying MAGPUL-P Mags to any Combat Soldiers. I have read that some contractors have used them but that's it.

About Sir Drake of MAGPUL Sales and I not seeing eye to eye, I just expected a little more from them and I still feel MAGPUL dodged the real problem. It's been over four years and I am guessing by now they MAGPUL have solved the oversized Mag problems.

Now maybe you like sanding on your Mags, but I don't find this idea I would care doing.

If people feel they need MAGPUL followers it's their money to spend, myself I see no real need for the them. I have never had a problem with a standard Military Mag. or the older Lancer L5 with the green followers.

Now about the metal feed lips I feel having them makes the Mag. a lot stronger and this means it will always feed the Ammo. when needed. The Military asked Lancer to make a non metal AR16 Mag that had metal feed lips and they did just this. Lancer Mags cost more then MAGPUL-P Mags but IMHO they are worth the extra cost.
I have never had to sand my PMags. They have always fit in every lower Ive put them into.

Are you bitching about something that happens 4 years ago?

I do know 11Bs are using PMags in combat. Its not just private contractors. PMags do have a NSN.

Manufacturers are equipping their mags w/ Magpul followers because people are demanding them because they are proven to be better/ more reliable.

Don't mean to argue but it sounds like you're trying to take a very isolated incident and trying to portray it as a daily occurrence at a highly respected manufacturers facility. I don't think you'll get to far around here or anywhere else.
__________________
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Korey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Parkston,South Dakota
Posts: 81
Default

mag pull is the best mag/dollar you can get for the AR? The reason the government doesn't use them is the same reason they went from the .45 1911 to the 9mm M9
cost
steel mags cost less, even by the slight amount they add up to huge savings when you purchase as many as the government does

__________________
Korey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,091
Liked 5240 Times on 2732 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Default

ive got some magpul pmags i hate em.

they fit and work fine but treat one a little rough or drop it or insert it into the magwell on a open bolt and smack it into place and they turn into a 5.56 caliber volcanic shell eruption. very annoying.

my pmags sit in the back of the gunsafe behind my milsurp metal mags and cammengas

they are brand new ill prolly end up using em as trade fodder at some point.

im really rough on my mags and often a bit clumsy so its a common enough occurunce i just dont use em.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 07-12-2011 at 01:02 AM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Magpul AFG - Thoughts? jakemaenius General Rifle Discussion 5 08-21-2010 01:43 AM
Wts: Magpul pmag black windowed mags $17.95 AnchorArmament Sponsor Display 0 03-18-2009 05:17 AM
Magpul mags fin24000 AR-15 Discussion 14 10-31-2008 01:19 AM