My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > My Sunday Afternoon Project-#2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Like Sniper03, I use the clevis pin trick and it really helps. Get the 1/4" size, as I remember it was about $1.50 at Lowes. I had to file it slightly as the hole was rough and I didn't want to force it through the lower. Just a little touchup and it inserted nicely.

Car54's dowel looks good too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #12

I found an interesting trick to install the pivot pin on youtube. Use the blade of the box cutter knife (Or anything that can hold down the spring but thin enough for you to push the pivot pin into the lower). I'm going to try that trick out. Can't wait for next friday to come. I wonder when will I ever get my upper order as it has my MOE stock kit with it so I can't complete the lower until the damn thing arrive.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A paper clip works great for me.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2600 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

CAR

Also remember one thing we teach in the schools. Just because it is a new part do not always assume it is a good part! You are correct! Probably was not exactly correct to begin with. One company that sells a lot of lower parts kits has had some parts kits going out where even the whole rear section where the Disconnector Spring goes (the Boxed section) was formed at least 15 to 20 degrees off center. You could hardly get the disconnector in and if you did it would drag! I have seen two sets in the past 4 months with this problem.
Bottom line if you have any problems with function that you will need a new trigger if the Disconnector is flat and has no burrs on it? I think it is simply the trigger as you stated. Let us know if any of us can assist! And have the company you purchased it from replace it.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #15

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
CAR

Also remember one thing we teach in the schools. Just because it is a new part do not always assume it is a good part! You are correct! Probably was not exactly correct to begin with. One company that sells a lot of lower parts kits has had some parts kits going out where even the whole rear section where the Disconnector Spring goes (the Boxed section) was formed at least 15 to 20 degrees off center. You could hardly get the disconnector in and if you did it would drag! I have seen two sets in the past 4 months with this problem.
Bottom line if you have any problems with function that you will need a new trigger if the Disconnector is flat and has no burrs on it? I think it is simply the trigger as you stated. Let us know if any of us can assist! And have the company you purchased it from replace it.

Will do, thanks. Mine was binding on the bottom of the disconnector just below the trigger pin hole. There is two scrape marks on the left side of the disconnector because it was so tight. Before I buttoned everything up I made sure it was rocking up and down on the spring and there wasn't anymore binding.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.